Home

Have you ever heard about "Machinarium"?

Sk-F

Ey guys, just finished playing this brilliant game and thought you may be interested. I know it's not Lucas related -in fact, it's from a completely unkown independent studio- but it's well worth checking out. Basically is a point & click adventure with charming characters, outstanding music and well-thought puzzles (not very long, though).

It tells the story of a little robot who was kicked out from its city and needed to go back; strangely enough, the story unfolds without dialogues, only with drawings.

To be perfectly honest I'd say I erm.. "tried" it without purchasing, but after 3-4 hours I was hooked and bought it. Really nice effort from these guys @ "Amanita design", definitely looking forward to a second part.

Seriously, play the game (and, if you like it, show the designers some support buying it).

machinarium_title.jpg

PS: if you want to know more, just ask the guy with the <Ask me about Machinarium> badge... :D

I liked the demo, but it didn't give me the incredible feverish dreams that Samorost did. I fully intend to buy it soon, though.

I've only played a very tiny bit of Samorost, but from what I can gather, this game is totally different. You should try not to compare them. While the overall concept of machinarium is quite abstract, the intricacies contained within it aren't all that abstract at all - they're all very consistent with and relative to the universe it creates. Samorost, on the other hand (from what I could tell; I might be wrong) was full of abstract ideas and designs.

I was very pleasently surprised by Machinarium! I first played the demo and it was so much fun and I then just had to get the whole thing!

I liked it so much I ordered the boxart on a square canvas for on my wall (ignore the awful fake silver frame below) :)

machinarium.jpg

I really like the game - am playing it now, actually - but the puzzle design gets on my nerves. Apart from the occasional pixel-hunting, it sometimes wants you to do puzzles in a certain way when you clearly can do them in another. For example,

early in the game you need to pick up a traffic cone and paint it blue. Instead of just allowing you to use paint with the cone, you have to dip the paint in water, and then put the cone inside the now-blue water. It's infuriating.

There's also been a couple of times where I missed hotspots because I hovered over them with my cursor, while the robot itself was far away.

Still, I love the game and it does have a unique charm. I recommend it.

Wow, that looks awesome! Did you get it custom ordered?

hehe yeah, for cheap from a dutch site http://www.canvasdeal.nl (only serves the Dutch though!). Canvas printing has really become affordable these past two years. At the same time I ordered a similar, though a bit larger, canvas with the Lucidity cover. I just love these little independant games :)

I'm more intrigued by that strange sacrificial box... what is in there, Quez? What are you up to? What dark and terrible secrets are you trying to unravel?

heh.... inside the box.. why this is in inside of there:

dott.jpg

:p

and this of course:

bandana.jpg:p

err-- yes, certainly. It's does, indeed! :p actually i manually input that quote..and memories of your former self took control ;

And on topic: Have they announced a follow up game of any sorts since the success of Machinarium?

****, I haven't gotten around to playing this, but I bought the UK special Edition in a DVD box that comes with an insanely illustrated walkthrough with designer documents as well as an artbook and soundtrack CD.

I recommend everyone to buy this release no matter what country you are in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I haven't played this game, and so having nothing to add to the actual thread topic, but on the secondary topic about Queztone's wall...

Why is it that his books are floating in mid air?

And more importantly, why has nobody else pointed this out as odd?

I don't think they're floating... you just can't see the supports they're resting on because of the angle of the photograph, and the books themselves cover the wall mountings, thus making it seem the books are floating. I think. It's very clever in any case.

Archived