Home

MI2:SE Inconsistencies

clone2727

Lucasarts actually said something along the lines of "the more eagle-eyed among you will spot that we've changed the maps on Wally's wall", so it's not like this is a mistake or anything.

And here I was thinking you were going to point this out.

I already refuted that (I hope).

I like your answer. I hope it's correct, but still: why would there be cement covering a large cave?

I like to think it looks like that because of the explosion (although that would mean that the tunnels should be collapsed and that the concrete floor Guybrush is hanging from wouldn't be suspended in mid-air). Maybe I'm wrong about it, but hopefully I'm right. Either way, it doesn't matter too much.

OK, but how would he get such a map? Weren't the only people to have been there Marley and his mate, LeChuck, and then Guybrush (and crew)?

And countless tourists.

Anyway, although Guybrush requires a voodoo spell to get there, Monkey Island is pretty heavily demystified by the sequels to the point where it's portrayed as a fairly well known location charted on standard maps. I don't get the impression that the carnival goers in CMI got to the island by accent or by concocting a wacky magical recipe.

The compass rose (rose of the winds) is WRONG with respect to the map of the islands in MI3

Please LucasArts, exchange it! oO

Are you suggesting they change MI3? because the MI2 world maps had the compass wrong also... :eek:

Maybe the islands have moved... or maybe it wasn't meant to be an accurate map in the third game considering it has a massive LucasArts logo in the middle of it ;)

And countless tourists.

Anyway, although Guybrush requires a voodoo spell to get there, Monkey Island is pretty heavily demystified by the sequels to the point where it's portrayed as a fairly well known location charted on standard maps. I don't get the impression that the carnival goers in CMI got to the island by accent or by concocting a wacky magical recipe.

Right. By CMI it was like that, but not in MI2.

Right. By CMI it was like that, but not in MI2.

Throwaway joke or not, MI1 made multiple references to Monkey Island being overrun by tourists to the chagrin of LeChuck/Herman/the cannibals. CMI was expounding on a notion established by the first game. Even if that weren't true though, I'd consider it a nice touch on the Special Edition's part to improve continuity. The reality though, is that the map's presence in Wally's cabin is not meant to be scrutinized to that level, either to its credit or detriment.

Also: the Special Edition looks great, wow!

And countless tourists.

On this I had just assumed in CMI LeChuck makes the island easily seen and unhidden with his special voodoo magic so that he could attract people there.

It's interesting that Wally's map of Scab is so inaccurate.

see:

Maybe wally is just a failure as a cartographer

Also,

What in the world is this?? Those islands are different! Is this a difference from the disk and CD versions? Probably not...beta?

The first one is an unfinished version where "Scabb" was misspelt as "Scabb". I think it may have been the one that appeared in the demo (?)

Anyway, regarding the mystery of Monkey Island: I think that the secret of Monkey Island was that it was actually just a ride at Disneyland or whatever (or something very closely related to that), and it was therefore something that loads of pirates (Disneyland patrons) had heard of it, and some people wanted to go there (ride it), or maybe they were apprehensive because they knew there was something wrong with it (it was under maintenance).

Basically, I think that trying to scrutinize it as a real island is not going to work because it was never intended to be so.

There was actually a video of some Lucasarts developers speaking where they said they couldn't reveal the secret in the second game because there wasn't enough diskspace for all the underground tunnels or something along those lines (but they were no more specific than that). This could mean a number of things. Maybe Guybrush is a kid who was on the Monkey Island (PotC) ride when it broke down. Maybe the whole tri-island area is real but it's a huge truman-show type Disney attraction (hence the underground maintenance tunnels).

Either way, we need to remember that there's stuff we don't know about and so to point out the errors in giving Wally a Monkey Island map is, in itself, erroneous.

Archived