Home

Avatar film causes depression/suicidal tendencies

RC-1162

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thus I saw, again. If I should misspend hours, days of my time, it should be out in the world, among other people. Making mistakes and finding myself. Not on the ****ing internet.

So that is why you wrote a post that you probably spent an hour or more putting together with a passion?:p

Especially after this started floating around (spoilers) : Lookie

:rofl:

Fortunately, Avatar was--y'know--enjoyable, as opposed to the Pocahontas atrocity. (Well, I enjoyed it, at least. :lol:)

This is...well, dumb. It's really sad, but really dumb. Maybe if these people watched some movie where the other planet or whatever is a barren wasteland (in 3D), they'd decide the earth isn't so bad after all. Makes about as much sense as getting depressed because the earth isn't as pretty as Pandora.

Seriously, why can't these people seperate reality from fiction? I just don't get it. :confused: A planet made in a computer doesn't exist. Duh. And besides, Pandora isn't wonderful--it's a huge, beautiful playground for people who want the thrill of almost dying--repeatedly.

Especially after this started floating around (spoilers) : Lookie

Wow...the person who made that connection is brilliant. They nailed it in the head.

Just like Pocanhontas has certain things omitted and slanted in the kid friendly version. The watered down version of Pocahontas was already bad enough... and yet Disney insults it further by making those abominable movies.

Whatever, it's water under the bridge by now. :(

I should hardly think ....

Not on the ****ing internet.

These Avatar-obsessed weirdos need an epiphany, I think.

Cool, this is like a 70 minute review on uber-fandome on anysort of franchise :lol:

Anyway, killing yourself cause of Avater?

Yikes, seriously, something must have been out of place in these peoples lives before they saw the movie. Then again, super fans of anysort of thing are crazy enough to pull this off.

Reminds me of all the screaming girlzzz at the Beatles. :lol:

Why didn't people kill themselves after seeing Pocahantas, Dances with Wolves, and every other movie that Avatar copied...I mean was influenced by?

Trust me.. after watching Kevin Costner for 3+ hours in one sitting, I did contemplate suicide (Dances With Wolves) :xp:

I'm depressed I don't have a lightsaber... or a holodeck... or a hottie Twi-Lek babe with an accent *sigh* :(

Fixed! ;)

Glad I haven't seen Avatar then, might depress me... but if I could get placed into a universe I'd take the universe of B5. At least I wouldn't have too much of a learning curve to get up to speed. ;)

I mean I can understand if people felt bad and/or disappointed with Avatar for not living up to expectations storywise (I know I was), but really, I can't understand how people actually took that CGI realm to their hearts and were deluded enough to think killing themselves would result in a "rebirth on Pandora"

For some reason, I recall a thread about this, but am unable to locate it.

Yeah, iirc this is old news..

But afaik people have been doing this with books and stories long before movies and video games.

I remember having a strange feeling when reading a book i liked once. After a while i realized it was a sadness that the story was fiction, and a wishing to meet the characters. But i didnt mope or want to kill myself over it... in fact, that sad feeling mixed with the fondness of the story to form this fascinatingly strange concoction of emotions that made me like the book all the more.

snipped

I had a similar revelation/mindset shift somewhat recently - something that i can only describe as God-given.

But that post is just beautiful.

Wow. That was inspirational.

This

These people a. need to sever their connections with the Mother Ship and b. seek some serious professional help.

Frankly I can't say it better than that. After reading about convergence cultures and the fandom world, thanks to my associations with fellow fans, This doesn't really surprise me. As others have said people can latch onto the stupidest things. If anything these viewers should be depressed over the fact that real life people do that to others all because they don't like them or want their resources.

Really. I know the difference between fantasy and reality and it is fun to rp in that realm just to have fun but man there are people who take it to the extreme and well this latest bit I've seen just about ranks the top.

You would think these people either have nothing to ever be happy about, or they have never experienced the death of one or ones close to them. Alas, even that isn't fully the case.

I'm at just as much a loss to figure out any other major causes besides what has already been posted here.

The story really isn't even all that original or grand of a tragedy, really.

Archived