Home

EMI PS2 -> Windows

Gannet

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've updated the installer with new cd-finding code. I started updating the launcher with the new patches, the higher res windowed mode patch works but the fix for blacking out the background while videos are playing never worked so I was messing with that.

However:

I forgot that the bink movies need to be patched for that black background fix to work and I need to finish updating the list of resolutions.

The "EMI Todo" folder is still sat on my desktop, I will get around to it, I'm just really busy at the moment.

It is in the demo version, iIrc. They probably removed it, since there is nothing to do there. There are more minor details which feel unfinished in it.

And even in the demo you couldn't sit on the barrel like that early screenshot showed - it was a completely useless environment, which is probably why it was cut. The Docks does have its own music though (which you can't hear in the EMI demo because it's all temp, CMI tunes), and it was shown for a split second in the final game during the in-game cutscene that takes place right after the pre-rendered cutscene of Guybrush and Elaine landing on Melee. And due to the way the camera is positioned, you also get a peak at the docks when you exit out the door of the LUA Bar's interior.

I forgot that the bink movies need to be patched for that black background fix to work and I need to finish updating the list of resolutions.

Nah, they were separate hacks. I tried EMI on a different computer recently and the black background fix didn't work on that one. Maybe it's just my computer :). In any case, you probably shouldn't bother with that one - just the x2 movie patches.

• 11 months later...

Sorry about digging up a rather old thread, but I find this VERY interesting.

I have been digging at the meshb/sklb/animb-format for a while now, to try to add something usefull for it to Residual, but I was drawing blanks, the format-text in this thread looks like what I got, only MUCH better and more precise, so, I was wondering, if there was more information that was found, or.... a possibility that bgbennyboy would like to add his findings to residual-tools?

John Doe's gamefileformats-page seems down atm, so Im trying to scavenge as much known information as possible right now.

• 3 years later...

I er...still have that "EMI todo" folder on my pc.

You have guilted me into looking at this again. Today I've fixed up the EMI Launcher to make it play nice with Windows 8. I'll look at the cutscene patch and the installer cd detection bug soon. Hopefully I should be able to do a new release soon*

*soon = a period between 1 week and 3 years.

Haha! Our hosting provider doesn't even get paid, which I'm assuming is why we're down right now?

That would be a good explanation. :halo2:

Of course we do! Why else would I spend hours making a nocd patch for a 14 year old game :~

Oh sorry, I must've misinterpreted that "I don't get paid so please donate" sign on the Quick n Easy site! :D

But on the rare occasion that I'm actually talking to the brain behind those programs, I'd like to take this opportunity to personally thank you for all the neato stuff you've made over the years! :D

It took bloody ages but I have made good on my constantly broken promises. I've updated both the EMI launcher and installer.

I now need people to test them, so I can release them officially. I'm using Windows 8.1 at the moment so it would be helpful if people could test them in older versions of Windows.

It would be particularly helpful if anyone with a non-English version of EMI could test it. I would especially like to know if the no cd patch works (in the options menu) and if the change resolution patch still works ok.

Remember the launcher comes packaged with the installer.

EMI Launcher 1.6 Test

EMI Setup 1.2 Test

Change list:

EMI Launcher:

1. Added a no cd patch. I resisted adding this for years due to concerns about piracy but now things have changed. The game is really old, its unavailable to buy and many computers no longer have a cd drive. I also needed to do this so I could add the cutscene patch. To enable to nocd patch go to the options menu.

2. Updated resolution patch to support common resolutions and custom resolutions. The list of resolutions now includes the most common 4:3, 16:9 and 16:10 resolutions. Or you can enter a custom resolution.

3. The game should now work in windowed mode when patched to a higher resolution. This doesn't work for every resolution but works fine for most 4:3 resolutions.

4. Cutscene movies now scale up to fill more of the screen. The patch now edits the movies to make them play at double size. This means that they should fill the screen at resolutions up to 1280x960.

5. Hint text at the bottom of the launcher now shows the resolution.

6. Added a few fixes to make the launcher work correctly in Windows 8.

7. Changed URL for the V1.1 update patches since Lucasarts no longer provides them.

EMI Setup (the installer):

1. Changed cd detection code to hopefully stop the infinite loop problem that some people got when it couldn't iterate through all their drives.

I've just updated the downloads with some small fixes.

The resolution patch wasn't patching the videos appropriately and the launcher wasn't automatically prompting to run as admin.

Also if I hear "from the personal log of Guybrush Threepwood" ever again it'll be too soon ¬¬

Cheers for trying it. The update download doesn't work because I changed the URL for it. It used to download it from Lucasarts, they removed it, so I changed to the downloads hosted by World of Monkey Island. Unfortunately WMI and Mojo are down at the moment :~

In the meantime the update can be downloaded here http://www.residualvm.org/downloads/

Yeah, I tried that, but what happens now is this:

"cannot create file "D:\Program Files (x86)\Lucasfilm\Monkey4\Monkey4.exe". Access is denied"

Archived