Home

Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women cause quakes

Totenkopf

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Referring to the violence that followed last June's disputed presidential election, he said, "The political earthquake that occurred was a reaction to some of the actions (that took place). And now, if a natural earthquake hits Tehran, no one will be able to confront such a calamity but God's power, only God's power. ... So let's not disappoint God."

And this is why I follow Agnosticism.

I sometimes wonder why we are trying to "liberate" these people or that area in general. Just a little while ago, the Saudi's killed someone because they claimed they were a wizard and people seemed pretty cool with it.

Its amazing that area is the cradle of human civilization and has not taken a step forward in over 2,000 years.

What is it with Iranian Shi'ite clerics? First it was acknowledging Khomeini as the Mahdi, then it was the Ayatollah's superimposed face on the moon.

If ever there was a CIA that was covertly spreading propaganda through Western media, this news article would fall into it. The headline sounds funny and illogical, but if you believe in God, it makes sense. The proper headline would be "Iranian cleric: Promiscuous women make God cause quakes", but that would sound less funny.

That said, this sort of stuff is about as common as any religious fundamentalist. Don't tell me there aren't Christians, Hindus or Jews who don't think that if they piously follow their religion's edicts, they won't have to suffer natural disasters. It's being said by someone important right now because Islamic fundamentalists happen have government in Iran. You won't hear a news report like that coming from progressive Muslim countries like Turkey or Pakistan (admittedly, this is a minority).

I sometimes wonder why we are trying to "liberate" these people or that area in general. Just a little while ago, the Saudi's killed someone because they claimed they were a wizard and people seemed pretty cool with it.

Its amazing that area is the cradle of human civilization and has not taken a step forward in over 2,000 years.

Actually it did take steps forward... But since maybe 16th century they have been going downhill :p

And i cant think of anything more suitable to say about the article than

quarduple facepalm :xp:

That said, this sort of stuff is about as common as any religious fundamentalist. Don't tell me there aren't Christians, Hindus or Jews who don't think that if they piously follow their religion's edicts, they won't have to suffer natural disasters. It's being said by someone important right now because Islamic fundamentalists happen have government in Iran. You won't hear a news report like that coming from progressive Muslim countries like Turkey or Pakistan (admittedly, this is a minority).
Indeed, which is what particularly concerns me. While the citizenry of Iran is, I'd say, more sophisticated than say, Saudi Arabia, the fact that the Iranian government wishes to continue the propagation or myths of jinn, black magic, and God knows what else shows that it is particularly out of touch with the current generation, forecasting further troubles.

And this is another reason why we don't want Iran to have nukes.

Why? He was just a religious prayer leader. He didn't hold any power.

By comparison, the United States' previous war record is more than enough reason to not only strip the US of nukes, but curb their military like they did to Japan.

All I had to read was "Iranian" and I knew it would be pathetic...

I wonder how you would respond to;

"All I had to read was "American" and knew it would be stupid" :xp:

Suffice to say we all know the current Iranian regime are despotic tyrants who believes some rather strange things, however every Iranian I have ever met, has always hated the current regime...

I think we ought not to lose sight of the fact that the humor lies in the fact that someone is peddling the idea that what a woman wears is of any concern to the globe, not their nationality of origin. Afterall, I'm sure many people snorted w/gales of derisive laughter when people like Pat Robertson suggested that 9/11 was God's answer to the moral quagmire America has sunk into. I'm pretty sure if God were using earthquakes to send messages to humanity for falling short of His will, there'd be too many to keep track of in the end. And the loss of life too numbing to want to contemplate.

@Saber-- :rolleyes: You're aware that all the major players were working on the bomb, with the intent to use it back then, right? If anything, America's record has shown why the bomb has been much safer in our hands than it would be in many others. There's been no use of one in over 60 years (beyond testing). Same goes for the Brits and France. Frankly, not so sure many of the 3rd world type nations acquiring the bomb would be so stabilizing if the situation were reversed.

Frankly, not so sure many of the 3rd world type nations acquiring the bomb would be so stabilizing if the situation were reversed.

Yeah, let's not twist this argument beyond what it's worth.

Most 3rd world type nations are not being ruled by men like this cleric in the article, and I'm sure that even the cleric wouldn't be so foolhardy as to consider nuclear weapons expendable. That Iran shouldn't have nuclear weapons is no stronger a case for argument than that America shouldn't have nuclear weapons. And this is overlooking the fact the US happens to be the only nation in the world to have actually used two nuclear devices against civilian populations.

"Ignorance, the root and stem of all evil" -Plato

I sometimes wonder why we are trying to "liberate" these people or that area in general.

"these" people or "that" area in general. Amazing detail Avery. I'd wager to say the sum of what you know about Islam is not from interaction with persons from a particular region, or travel to a nation with an Islamic population.

Now, here's the MASSIVE surprise. Not all of us(read:Muslims) believe that such persons represent us in any way. I likely have more in common with you than with them(points at Banner).

Would you like me to think that the idiots depicted below represent "you people" and "your area in general" (US and its Citizens)?

KKKRally.jpg

I'm not even getting into the whole nuclear thing because Sabre has already summated it superbly. :thmbup1:

It's a sad fact of the world that the combination of poverty and poor education lead to beliefs and behaviour that does not further the interests of brotherhood and equality.

mtfbwya

Yeah, let's not twist this argument beyond what it's worth.

Most 3rd world type nations are not being ruled by men like this cleric in the article, and I'm sure that even the cleric wouldn't be so foolhardy as to consider nuclear weapons expendable. That Iran shouldn't have nuclear weapons is no stronger a case for argument than that America shouldn't have nuclear weapons. And this is overlooking the fact the US happens to be the only nation in the world to have actually used two nuclear devices against civilian populations.

I was merely responding to your overheated claims about America, not whether or not Iranians should have nuclear weapons (certainly not with this current regime in power, though). But your simplistic argument about America and the use of nuclear weapons vs population centers ignores context. However, that is also a subject for a different thread.

Archived