Home

Gay Main Character

Varizma

As an LGBT individual, I find it disheartening to find I have to play as a straight male in TSL even though I am a gay male. I was wondering if it would be possible to keep the physical body chosen at the start of the game yet make it possible to have romantic relationships with people of the same sex in TSL. A total overhaul of the voiceovers is not necessary and the feminine pronouns used in referring to the main character can be kept, just as long as same-sex relationships are possible. In the favor of equality, there could also be a lesbian mod or bisexual mod as well. However, I am only asking to allow a male main character to be gay in TSL. Your assistance in this matter is greatly appreciated.

If you're fine with gender pronouns being unaffected, that should be easy. Thing is, it's not so much affecting who your character is attracted to as much as affecting who's attracted to your character. I'm not an expert on modifying dialogue, but as far as I can tell, it's a simple matter of either reversing gender conditionals in anything romance-related (making said NPC gay) or removing them altogether (making them bi). I'd gladly make that mod for you, but I'd have no idea what I was doing, and I no longer have TSL installed.

There is already a function set of lesbian and bisexual mods for KOTOR. However, TSL lacks much in the way of a romantic plot so it makes trying to create such a mod difficult, and no one is really taking modding requests nowadays.

However, if you wish to play as a gay male in TSL or a lesbian female, there is a simple trick. Download the KOTOR Saved Game Editor, create a male character, then create a saved game and use the editor to switch your gender to female. You're appearance will be male but the game will treat you as a woman, so you will have the option of pursuing the female romance plot as a man. Simply do the reverse if you wish to be a lesbian.

Hope that helps.

Hmmm... this is going to sound wierd, but I'm semi-bisexual lol so this idea intrigues me. (: I'm also reading a book where the main character is gay... so my mind is pumping with ideas for mods. :D

So what I think would be the best way to go about this is to make HK-47 disappear from the game... well disappear from your party... you can rebuild him, but he'd appear on a different spot on the Hawk and he wouldn't move around and stuff. And add a new guy to the party member slot and have a detailed dialogue and make the guy romancable to both male and female party members. -nods- If you like this idea, I'll make it... however, I need someone to do voice overs... :/

By following the suggestions above, the OP would be playing a female character that appeared as male: which would only allow the following romance options: Atton and Disciple. This would be fine for gay player (I suppose) but it gets more complicated when those that are bisexual want to have ALL options open.

What if a bisexual player wanted to romance either Disciple or Handmaiden while their second romance option was the opposite sex of that "Disciple or Handmaiden" choice? Under the current setup, it wouldn't be possible - even with tinkering with the KOTOR Saved Game Editor.

Some of this was covered before in an old thread of mine: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=200515

I have recently tried using the Save Game Editor Tool and started a new game. While on Peragus, Atton uses the male dialog even though I changed the PC gender to female. Should I use a warp code to Dantooine to see if the Disciple will join my party?

If the mod would require a simple change in scripts, then that could be the solution. However, would that interfere with the Disciple/Handmaiden party member selection at all?

Replacing HK might be a good idea, and that would require a substantial amount of work. If this was selected, the developer would have to fit developing a large mod in with a presumably busy schedule. As a programmer, I understand programming during one's spare time requires dedication to a project. I would not want to interfere too much with anyone's time.

I am very grateful for the amount of responses. I apologize if any of these questions are out of ignorance towards modding in general.

Not to worry, your questions are perfectly legit and it is honestly an area of modding worth exploring (as opposed to an overpowered item that lets you easily win the game :D ).

I suggest you keep playing out the game and see how the characters refer to you. There may be other conditionals you may need to change that I don't know about. I am somewhat ignorant of this as I haven't actually made a mod but I have worked with a lot of modders and picked up a few things.

The change in scripts would result in the Disciple/Handmaiden selection being shifted.

Unfortunately, replacing HK-47 is out of the question, as he is a pivotal character to the game...especially with TSLRCM installed. In fact, none of the characters can be replaced without breaking the game. This is known because we have explored attempts to have both the Handmaiden and the Disciple in the same party. The only remotely possible method would be to remove G0-T0 but keep him as an NPC on the Ebon Hawk, but that would require a ****load of modding and an even more complex patch for TSLRCM.

The simple method would be a simple line in the first dialog with Atton on Peragus. Basically, a response to his greeting with a script that changes the gender conditional of the PC. The appearance would remain, but the dialog references would shift.

I have recently tried using the Save Game Editor Tool and started a new game. While on Peragus, Atton uses the male dialog even though I changed the PC gender to female. Should I use a warp code to Dantooine to see if the Disciple will join my party?

If the mod would require a simple change in scripts, then that could be the solution. However, would that interfere with the Disciple/Handmaiden party member selection at all?

Replacing HK might be a good idea, and that would require a substantial amount of work. If this was selected, the developer would have to fit developing a large mod in with a presumably busy schedule. As a programmer, I understand programming during one's spare time requires dedication to a project. I would not want to interfere too much with anyone's time.

I am very grateful for the amount of responses. I apologize if any of these questions are out of ignorance towards modding in general.

Dude... I'm almost out of school... I have nothing but time. ;) (starting SUNDAY haha) I actually really wanted to make a mod like this, but I needed a reason to do it, other than for myself... ^^

I'm totally gonna do this (:

I have played through more of the game. What doesn't make sense is that KSE tells me my gender is female but the game treats me as a male. I keep getting referred to as a "him" by my party members and Atris, Brianna/Handmaiden joined my party, and the Disciple isn't in my party. Probably another ignorant question but, does KSE only work for a certain version of TSL? Last time I tried updating the game it told me I had a missing file so the update had to be aborted. TBH, I didn't touch any of the files except for playing the dialog and music sound files. IDK if that pertains to anything.

Having a dialog line in the conversation with Atton on Peragus sounds like a brilliant idea. Or it could be in the first conversation with Kreia because I don't think that determines anything whereas with Atton you have to specify the gender and LS/DS of Revan. This "coming out" dialog I presume would be telling Atton/Kreia that you're gay/bi and not the opposite gender. The resulting response from Atton/Kreia could be a generic voiceover already in the game to the effect of, "Okay I understand" and the appearance is kept while the gender is switched. IDK if that's difficult, I'm not a modder. I'm very happy that I'm not the only one wanting a gay mod as well. Thank you for your continued participation in the matter.

Having a dialog line in the conversation with Atton on Peragus sounds like a brilliant idea. Or it could be in the first conversation with Kreia because I don't think that determines anything whereas with Atton you have to specify the gender and LS/DS of Revan. This "coming out" dialog I presume would be telling Atton/Kreia that you're gay/bi and not the opposite gender. The resulting response from Atton/Kreia could be a generic voiceover already in the game to the effect of, "Okay I understand" and the appearance is kept while the gender is switched. IDK if that's difficult, I'm not a modder. I'm very happy that I'm not the only one wanting a gay mod as well. Thank you for your continued participation in the matter.

Heh heh heh...

This all is intriguing from a scripting perspective... I wonder how I would pull this off.... ;)

How would this affect gameplay exactly? I mean KOTOR isn't exactly like Fable so you cannot date or sleep with anyone, I guess you could switch the flirty Sith around in the first game (the party scenario) or make it so that Atton/Disciple is a Male Exile's love interest...but that would require Disciple for male exile...good idea though :)

How would this affect gameplay exactly? I mean KOTOR isn't exactly like Fable so you cannot date or sleep with anyone, I guess you could switch the flirty Sith around in the first game (the party scenario) or make it so that Atton/Disciple is a Male Exile's love interest...but that would require Disciple for male exile...good idea though :)

Most people interested in purchasing games like KOTOR and TSL where there are options in character customization usually attempt replicating themself in-game. In addition, this average game consumer is unlikely to play the game a second time using a different appearance. Additionally, IDK if you're gay or not, LGBT people face discrimination with society's constant use of heteronormativity, which doesn't allow for LGBT couples to be displayed in media, games, or radio. Universal acknowledgement of LGBT relationships is not present and therefore almost every single day, an LGBT person is bombarded with man/woman relationships, constantly reminding that person that they are not accepted, not accounted for, not recognized, can be fired just for being who they are, and even placed in shameful positions by intolerant people. Because I am gay, I have also found heteronormativity in KOTOR and TSL. As I am also an "average consumer" I find it neccessary to have a character that represents myself. Granted, a gay mod wouldn't change much gameplay wise, but neither does the overpowered lightsaber. Both cases appeal to the personality of the player. And yes, I am aware that the most that can be done for gay male relationships involve Atton/Disciple being the love interests of the PC.

Varizma, your answer seems to address the "why" you think the mod should be made rather than the "how" that Blix's question seems to indicate. (Blix, if I'm reading your question wrong, my apologies.) As a personal aside, why the frequent mentions of the "LGBT community" if your mod is only going to address gay male relationships in the game? Do you plan to expand the mod to address game play for lesbians and bisexuals role changes too?

I wish you good luck in your mod even if I'm not sure how you plan to implement it.

I understand what you're saying and I think it's an awesome idea, just that I don't see how it would change much of the game experience since the player character's sexuality can remain asexual/ambiguous unless he/she chooses to pursue a "relationship" (master and apprentice) with Handmaiden/Disciple (which even then it is really only a mild hint at best). I'm just curious as to what you're looking for in this mid, like do you mean to have NPC and other characters acknowledge your character's sexuality in-game or just make same sex dating/flirting an option?

• 2 weeks later...

Would totally love this. As a bi guy myself it's always bugged me that it's not possible. Tbh it could do with being implemented in KOTOR 1 as well. I know there was a mod made for a same-sex relationship between only the female character and Bastila. Only makes sense to get the reverse made as well?

Additionally, IDK if you're gay or not, LGBT people face discrimination with society's constant use of heteronormativity, which doesn't allow for LGBT couples to be displayed in media, games, or radio. Universal acknowledgement of LGBT relationships is not present and therefore almost every single day, an LGBT person is bombarded with man/woman relationships, constantly reminding that person that they are not accepted, not accounted for, not recognized, can be fired just for being who they are, and even placed in shameful positions by intolerant people.

This is probably not the place to discuss this sort of thing, but I understand where you are coming from. Do realize that not every GLBT person feels this way though, nor are all people discriminatory for such reasons.

That said, here's a mod to try out: http://j.imagehost.org/download/0830/glbt_pc

What I did: Basically, I reversed the check gender conditional scripts. The game will essentially think that you are the opposite gender that your character actually is, so the end result is same gender romancement.

• 1 month later...

I am interested in making a mod that makes Atton & Disciple attracted to a male main character. Obviously simply changing the gender flags means that the male PC is regarded as being female. I think with some audio editing, it will be possible to replace the pronouns said in the Atton & Disciple's dialog. However, I think the most important mod to make would be one that allows male PCs in KOTOR to romance Carth.

Or, or someone has said, I or someone else can make a mod that features a new character who is gay or bisexual.

I like all those ideas to be honest! My dream would be a Kotor-style romance between the male Exile and Atton/Disciple. In TSL the romances were pretty watered down anyway but if we could make them more obvious? I like the idea of a love triangle with audio though. Could also have Mira commenting on the relationship with the "I thought you and Atton were..." line? But the Exile could reply with a more exciting response than "I don't think of him like that" *eye roll*.

On the idea of having an entirely new character that's gay/bi, my only issue with that is that the sexuality of the character could easily become it's only characteristic, you know? I wouldn't want the character to be there purely for an LGBT romance. It'd have to be pretty deep.

I like all those ideas to be honest! My dream would be a Kotor-style romance between the male Exile and Atton/Disciple. In TSL the romances were pretty watered down anyway but if we could make them more obvious? I like the idea of a love triangle with audio though. Could also have Mira commenting on the relationship with the "I thought you and Atton were..." line? But the Exile could reply with a more exciting response than "I don't think of him like that" *eye roll*.

On the idea of having an entirely new character that's gay/bi, my only issue with that is that the sexuality of the character could easily become it's only characteristic, you know? I wouldn't want the character to be there purely for an LGBT romance. It'd have to be pretty deep.

While I agree with you and the person above you, I don't have the time, but I'd say it might be worth looking into for someone who's less busy with mods atm.

Archived