Home

Monkey Island Explorer

Benny

Its an explorer tool for Monkey Island 1 and 2: Special Editions. It does the following:

• Lets you browse through the files and dump individual files/all files.
  • Lets you play and dump the audio (music, speech and sfx).
  • Lets you use 'annotations' to add more descriptive filenames for the audio so that you aren't just dumping files named 1.wav etc.
  • Displays the images as you browse and lets you save them as png's or DDS files (for editing).
  • Displays the txt/fx/csv files as you browse through the files.
  • As its based on the same code as my other explorer programs (mainly the unreleased Telltale Explorer) it lets you filter the files by typing in the search box and lets you filter the display by filetype.
  • There's an MI-themed animation when dumping files (I'd completely forgotten about this).

MIExplorer1Small.jpgMIExplorer2Small.jpgMIExplorer3Small.jpg

[Edit] Updated - now supports MI2-SE and the Xbox/iPhone versions of the games.

[Edit 2] Updated - now plays and dumps audio and includes annotation support. See my site and the readme for more information.

Download it here.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When it unlocks, yes :)

The xwa extractor wont work with the music files yet as they (together with all the other resource files) are still encrypted by steam. Hopefully they'll be ok once it unlocks.

Thanks to Serge I've updated Monkey Island Explorer to support MI2-SE. Its not fully optimised or anything yet - but it'll work for browsing the pak and extracting images and files.

It'll also work with the Xbox (if you use the XBDecompress tool) and iPhone versions should you feel the need to delve into them.

Get it here.

I've updated the program again.

This version adds support for playing and dumping the audio from both games (music, voice and sfx) and introduces annotation support.

Annotations contain alternative filenames for audio that are more descriptive than those present in the original audio files. Eg the MI2 speech annotation file means that instead of a filename of “5840″ you will instead see “Stan’s Kozy Krypts– A Place to Spend Eternity, Not a Fortune.”

Annotation files are included for MI2 speech and commentary. If you make any annotation files please send them to me so I can include them in the next release.

Get it here.

• 3 weeks later...

Could you add command line support?

I'd like to use it automated by the patching tool, which I'm writing for the classic talkie CD project.

It should support individual files, ie. we need just those two classic resource files of the pak.

And it should support extracting entire wavebanks, since we use most of the samples anyways.

The tool should terminate automatically and return an error code when command line extracting is done.

Is it okay to re-distribute the tool with the patch? I would keep "Monkey Island Explorer.html" intact, of course.

EDIT: I don't need it that badly anymore. I noticed the source is available in extractpak and changed it to only extract what I need.

• 3 months later...

Dear Bgbennyboy,

Could you add pvr support to Monkey island explorer.

MISE2 for iPhone use pvr and crushed apple PNG files.

(MISE 1 used normal png)

I could save pvr files with your tool, but I did not find any application to edit them.

Imagination texture tool can not handle them, because this files created with apple texturetool.

I saw pvr from games and created with imagination texture tool with hex editor, and 2 files header are different.

• 2 weeks later...

I found an OSX app (atPeek), that can explore iPhone apps ipa files (ipa files are actually zip archives).

And atPeek can extracts and converts from crushed Apple png and pvr (power VR texture files) to normal (editable) PNG files.

I checked Monkey.Island.2.Special.Edition-v1.1-most_uniQue.ipa with atPeek.

( I checked free version also, but the result is same)

I was able to extract crushed PNG files from game's main directory ( BKG_iPad_bonusFeatures.png etc) and I was able to edit them.

I was able to extract and convert some pvr files with atPeek an other game file. (SW_ Hoth 1.0.ipa, light version is free)

But I'm trouble with MISE 2 , because pvr files are in pak archive. atPeek can not handle pak files.

So I extract pak files with Monkey explorer and put files to ipa file.

But atPeek can not recognize them. I think pvr files are corrupt.

(I compared mise2 PVR and Hoth pvr with hex editor and I did not see PVR! characters in the first line in MISE2's PVR files)

I can open The pvr texture files, which extracted from SW_Hoth.ipa with Imagination PVRTexToolGUI utility.

But it can not open pvr texrures from MISE 2.

May be Monkey explorer produce wrong/corrupt pvr files.

Is there any decryption process during extraction?

Dear Bgbennyboy,

Help me, if have you got any idea....

As far as I know there are no problems with the tool. I've tested it with the iphone/ipad lite version of MI2 and it works fine. All other file types work and dump correctly.

The problem isn't with the tool - its with the pvr files. I know nothing about that particular file but it sounds like they've changed the header slightly.

I extracted pvr texture files from other iPhone games. And I can open them with imagination PVR texture tool.

But I extracted pak files of MISE 2 full and light version with Monkey explorer and I can not open them.

It's great shame, but I can not edit game files.

Archived