Home

South Park Creators 'promised' death by Muslim extremists

urluckyday

Link

Apparently showing Muhammed in a bear mascot outfit is wrong too...*sigh*

The group said that the post was not a "threat" but rather, it's just the "reality" of things to come for the creators, Matt Stone and Trey Parker.

I have no problem with Muslims who actually understand their religion, but I don't know how to even come close to tolerating extremists in any religion...I know there are extremists for every group/religion, but there's a reason we don't hear as much about them...

Can't wait for tonight's episode of South Park, though! :thmbup1:

The jurisprudence on depictions of Muhammad, et al differ upon scholar; the general consensus is that depictions of holy figures lead to adoration, reverence, and ultimately idolatry, the very principle which Muhammad denounced. Indeed, there have been many ways to swerve past this; Persian illustrators depicted Muhammad and Co. either with metaphysical parchment shielding the face or silhouetted with smokeless, ethereal flames.

Again, the above was in a positive light; the South Park thing has the intent of humor, and is barely acerbic. Muhammad is not even visually shown; only described. That is far less of an offense, and goes nowhere towards the brink of blasphemy. If one wishes to see a depiction of Muhammad that would most certainly earn the ire of many Muslims (and, possibly conscious Westerners), one need only read Dante's Inferno; even a picture would suffice:

inferno.jpg

I'm all for a religion who doesn't want the idolizing of major figures like muhammed or even jesus...but to promise to kill someone who doesn't even practice the religion because they made a joke about it is crazy.
Indeed, which is what makes this seem like a 1300-year step backwards to the time of ultraradicals such as the Khariji from the very roots of Islam. Definitely not a pleasant notion, that's for sure.

So... South Park made fun of the whole "portray Muhammed and we'll kill you" thing, showed a guy in a bear suit so as not to actually portray Muhammed, and a bunch of idiots do exactly what they were being made fun of for doing in the first place. Classic. Seriously, the treatment of Islam on the show is much tamer than the treatment of other religions. If Parker and Stone do get killed by muslim extremists, like Theo van Gogh did, I'm reenlisting.

I loved how during the entire episode Mr. Garrison kept asking "Is this still okay to do?" whenever they'd 'portray' Muhammed. I understand first amendment rights but doesn't this all fall under threats? I really want to find out if either of the 2 creators have responded to this yet...I'm almost 100% sure they're not scared or anything like that because I'm sure this isn't the first time they've gotten death threats...

They found and killed that film maker in 2004, so I wouldn't put it past them to give it a shot.

I get why the image is banned but at the same time I don't, but this entire issue has been taken too far. Not only do we censor it, but its censored because of radicals like this group. This may be very callous and ignorant, but by censoring it we are only giving extremists like this power in the long run. Sure, its blasphemous but what happened to free speech?

They let an image of Jesus crapping on the American flag air, but refused to show Muhammad without a censor bar. If anything, the episode went out and did exactly as intended.

PS: South Park has already drawn and depicted Muhammad as a fire shooting crime fighter in the episode Super Best Friends, fully drawn and fully animated. It was censored on air, but you can watch the uncensored version on their website so the controversy is a little late. They also used the same threat in Cartoon Wars.

I'd say that Theo van Gogh's murder is proof that the extremists aren't necessarily talking just to hear their own voices. Whether it's, as Saber argues, little more than a boring threat at the moment will remain to be seen. However, if it goes the way of Theo, I'd have no problem shutting down or putting many mosques (esp those plagued w/wahabbism) under heavy surveilance.

Come on people, don't you all know that the UN *must* step in and supersede laws of governments all over the world just so they can limit free speech to make sure one group of extremist nut-cases isn't offended? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, they don't even know what a bad dissing is. South Park disses on everyone and frankly it's giving the moslems an easy ride by far. Am I right? Thanks in advance.

Found the clip:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I don't recall much of any backlash when this episode aired, and that was years ago.

This was from 2001

lol they made fun of this in the 200th episode...something along the lines of "Things have changed since the last time we saw Muhammed..."

They found and killed that film maker in 2004, so I wouldn't put it past them to give it a shot.

I get why the image is banned but at the same time I don't, but this entire issue has been taken too far. Not only do we censor it, but its censored because of radicals like this group. This may be very callous and ignorant, but by censoring it we are only giving extremists like this power in the long run. Sure, its blasphemous but what happened to free speech?

They let an image of Jesus sh***ing on the American flag air, but refused to show Muhammad without a censor bar. If anything, the episode went out and did exactly as intended.

PS: South Park has already drawn and depicted Muhammad as a fire shooting crime fighter in the episode Super Best Friends, fully drawn and fully animated. It was censored on air, but you can watch the uncensored version on their website so the controversy is a little late. They also used the same threat in Cartoon Wars.

I think the creators put the "censored" bar over muhammed in the episode not anyone else. It was actually funnier that way.

This was from 2001

Yep, but it was also censored back in 2001. The Youtube clip is from the DVD set.

I think the creators put the "censored" bar over muhammed in the episode not anyone else. It was actually funnier that way.

It made the point hit home harder, but rest assured the creators -did- want to show Muhammad and have tried to do so for years. It was Comedy Central that has censored all, I believe, 4 cases of them trying. In all cases, Muhammad has been animated but always censored, because he is uncensored in all the DVD releases. Trey and Matt are probably two of the most anti-censorship people in media today, and have gotten into numerous fights with CC and Fox over it.

Its just Comedy Central being hypocrites and cowards, and after the online threat CC censored not only Muhammad, but also any mention of him in the episode and refuse to show the uncensored version of the episode online like they usually do, as well as refusing to show the censored version of the episode on TV again for now.

Come on people, don't you all know that the UN *must* step in and supersede laws of governments all over the world just so they can limit free speech to make sure one group of extremist nut-cases isn't offended? :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, they don't even know what a bad dissing is. South Park disses on everyone and frankly it's giving the moslems an easy ride by far. Am I right? Thanks in advance.

I agree with this, I mean Jesus and Satan (oh and God too) have been made fun of: Jesus dying again in Iraq, Satan dressed up as Britney Spears, and God was made out to be a fugly cross between a monkey and a lizard. If anything the Catholic, Satanist, and overall Christian faith in general have more room for making deaths and spouting hateful rants than these hyperactive idiots with guns.

Its just Comedy Central being hypocrites and cowards, and after the online threat CC censored not only Muhammad, but also any mention of him in the episode and refuse to show the uncensored version of the episode online like they usually do, as well as refusing to show the censored version of the episode on TV again for now.

I'm almost sure that the "censored" bar on ep. 200 was the creators...that was the running joke throughout.

The censored bar was on purpose, the bleeping of any reference to Muhammed was done my Comedy Central. While it wasn't intentional, I laughed my ass off near the end of the episode when they're giving their speeches and saying how they all learned a lesson but Comedy Central bleeped it. It was 3 long bleeps. It was just so absurd and ridiculous I couldn't help but laugh.

From what I read online, the "lesson of the episode" didn't even mention Muhammed. So there was no point in bleeping that whole minute.

The "freedom go to hell" poster amuses me. I suppose the sort of mind that is attracted to religious extremism is also dumb enough to not realize that in a country without freedoms such as free speech, he'd be jailed or summarily shot for the sort of protest he was taking part in.

2rf3l28.jpg

Hmm... so we have the extreme of basically killing for "insults".

Europe is the cancer and Islam is the answer. Wow, and Europeans are typically some of the most tolerant and accepting of people so I don't think I want to know how America is viewed by them. Oh wai--

Something on how Europe will pay.

Something that says fantastic 4.

Islam will dominate the world.

And... Freedom go to hell... which I can onlyguess means that they despise anyone who isn't under their thumb and law.

How droll.

Matt and Trey released a statement today on southpark studios.com

A Statement from Matt and Trey

In the 14 years we've been doing South Park we have never done a show that we couldn't stand behind. We delivered our version of the show to Comedy Central and they made a determination to alter the episode. It wasn't some meta-joke on our part. Comedy Central added the bleeps. In fact, Kyle's customary final speech was about intimidation and fear. It didn't mention Muhammad at all but it got bleeped too. We'll be back next week with a whole new show about something completely different and we'll see what happens to it.

I can't wait for their response next week...

I don't mind South Parks intent on religious humor; it's simply just trying to make people laugh. But the way these religious extremists are, is absolutely ridiculous, and shows us the negative, dark side to humanity, and is one of the main reasons why some third world countries haven't taken a step up in Civilization. And this doesn't go towards "only" Islam. Just a few days ago, I heard of an abuse that occurred in the Catholic Church.

Again, don't me wrong; I don't mind people worshiping God, Jesus or Mohamed, but when extremists freak out at a simple joke that some cartoon made, then that's when I start rants like these.

Archived