Home

South Park Creators 'promised' death by Muslim extremists

urluckyday

The "freedom go to hell" poster amuses me. I suppose the sort of mind that is attracted to religious extremism is also dumb enough to not realize that in a country without freedoms such as free speech, he'd be jailed or summarily shot for the sort of protest he was taking part in.

I'm trying to think of a word that would sum all of this up neatly..."irony" maybe?

I'd like to take a swing at just about every one of those protesters...

Here I'll lend you my aluminum bat :)

The "freedom go to hell" poster amuses me. I suppose the sort of mind that is attracted to religious extremism is also dumb enough to not realize that in a country without freedoms such as free speech, he'd be jailed or summarily shot for the sort of protest he was taking part in.

Ehh, moronic hypocrisy? :p

I'd like to take a swing at just about every one of those protesters...
How abaout a Samurai's Kanabo? :devsmoke:

Honestly, this is only going to continue until the end of time. Christians have their fundamentalists, Muslims have their fanatics. I think people should just grow spines and ignore the protests and outrage unless it's very plausible someone is going to kill them. Honestly, if I were in the South Park creators' (and Comedy Central's) position, I wouldn't take these guys seriously until I find a death threat in my mailbox.

Problem is, that's just the sort of thing these people are resorting to--ANYTHING they can to barb your psychological well being. They might be kinda nuts, that doesn't mean they are necessarily stupid. Course that doesn't mean they are the only ones that can "lose it" either.

Then you also have people who make threats or something to try to rattle sabers or whatever charade and try to intimidate you into doing what they want.

The real danger are those who don't want your attention because they actually mean to do you harm; these are more dangerous than anyone else. Then there are masterminds doing both.

Of minor relevance you can tell a lot by someone's body language and demeanor in person if you know what to look for.

Point being is gauging the threat level: you can safely ignore many extremists, but that doesn't mean there aren't still people among them who will do something waiting for you to turn a blind eye.

The sad thing is that the Muslim extremists actually make the Christian extremists look better by comparison...

It's time for another "Real Men of Genius"

*Real Men of Geeeniuuus*

Today we salute you Mr Muslim Extremist Cartoon Hater.

*Mr Muslim Extremist Cartoon Hater*

How do you make the Christian extremists seem like they aren't so bad? Up the ante and threaten to kill anyone who portrays your religious figure in any way shape or form even if he's hidden.

*AhlaLAAAAAH!*

Thanks to you, the religion of peace can be portrayed as complete nutters ready to kill anyone at the drop of a hat.

*Is that a fedora?*

You give FoxNews, Glen Beck, and Michael Savage, ammunition against Islam.

*Baaad choice of words*

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light you master of meatheadedness, because you are the point of the jokes.

The sad thing is that the Muslim extremists actually make the Christian extremists look better by comparison...

*Real Men of Geeeniuuus*

How do you make the Christian extremists seem like they aren't so bad? Up the ante and threaten to kill anyone who portrays your religious figure in any way shape or form even if he's hidden.

*AhlaLAAAAAH!*

Thanks to you, the religion of peace can be portrayed as complete nutters ready to kill anyone at the drop of a hat.

*Is that a fedora?*

*Baaad choice of words*

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light you master of meatheadedness, because you are the point of the jokes.

:rofl:

*Real Men of Geeeniuuus*

*AhlaLAAAAAH!*

*Is that a fedora?*

*Baaad choice of words*

:laughing::lol:

:rofl:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm in agreement that this extremist violence was wrong, of course. But in the case of this guy... what the heck was he thinking? I know there's the whole thing about making a point, and testing freedom of speech. But depicting Muhummad as a dog? I find it hard to believe he didn't anticipate or court this reaction. There's making a point, and there's common sense.

In the larger sense of this argument, i think it's more a judgment on our sense of taste/humor/respect. There should be no banning, but must we really go here? I have yet to talk to a muslim friend or classmate that is not pissed about this. How is "pushing the boundaries" it worth it.

Chistian fundamentalists are equally as bad... they're just generally not violent. Like those people a while back 'protesting' at military funerals. It's all disgusting.

I'm not convinced all of these instances were designed to provoke, so the instigators could come back and say "look at these people, they don't like free speech!", plus the whole publicity factor.

Just trying to see things from the other perspective.

I agree that doing something "just b/c you can" isn't necessarily the best way to go. However, for free speech to have any meaning, you often have to tolerate such insults and dismiss them as eccentricities or ignore them altogether. But the extremists do prove one thing, if nothing else.....that people will be cowed into some form of submission if credibly threatened w/violence.

Well, I'm in agreement that this extremist violence was wrong, of course. But in the case of this guy... what the heck was he thinking? I know there's the whole thing about making a point, and testing freedom of speech. But depicting Muhummad as a dog? I find it hard to believe he didn't anticipate or court this reaction. There's making a point, and there's common sense.

In the larger sense of this argument, i think it's more a judgment on our sense of taste/humor/respect. There should be no banning, but must we really go here? I have yet to talk to a muslim friend or classmate that is not pissed about this. How is "pushing the boundaries" it worth it.

Chistian fundamentalists are equally as bad... they're just generally not violent. Like those people a while back 'protesting' at military funerals. It's all disgusting.

I'm not convinced all of these instances were designed to provoke, so the instigators could come back and say "look at these people, they don't like free speech!", plus the whole publicity factor.

Just trying to see things from the other perspective.

That's the thing though. The reaction is disproportionate. Christian fundies, Mormons and Scientologists have been made fun of and they haven't been violent in their response. What was their response? they quit watching the show. Or at the most boycotted the advertisers. Christian fundies have been violent to places like abortion clinics. But in their eyes the abortion clinics are legalized murder(not my view, just going by their wording).

I am not saying that the Muslims can't be ticked about it. Anger is justified. The threats of violence and calling for the heads of Matt and Trey are just over the top. How can their anger be taken seriously when they play into the hands of the creators.

And yes, it is a lack of respect on the part of South Park. But they actually show a lack of respect for a lot of other religions, and causes. The whole show is about making fun of somebody. Why should muslims be treated any differently than say the Japanese.

Archived