Home

Vid Doc 4 Explores Combat in The Old Republic

News

For a video that never fails to mention the word "combat" every quarter-minute, it does just the opposite; combat, in terms of mechanics and application, is never discussed. We've seen nothing pertaining to subjects such as regenerating health, cover mechanics (Oh Allah, please let it be untrue), teamwork, experience, looting, alternative combat means (hacking, lockpicking, etc.), and any other devices present within other RPG combat systems. Indeed, buzzwords are abundant, but no substance is to be found.

I'm don't think this was supposed to be an in depth analysis of mechanics and application. I think it was more to show off the combat in the game which it seems to do. They were discussing the feel they wanted the combat to have, and the goals they are trying to achieve.

Methinks thou expects too much from a 6 minute video. Besides, teamwork, looting, and skills like hacking and such are really categories unto themselves.

The video doesn't tell me much about combat, except for the things that have already been revealed in the past. But we've seen a bit more of the classes in action, and seen some new moves.

I did see some interesting things, though. Such as the Consular and Inquisitor using impressive AOE spells, and combat in a group being pretty hectic. Or the fact some classes seem to be able to create their own cover, creating a shield of some kind.

For a video that never fails to mention the word "combat" every quarter-minute, it does just the opposite; combat, in terms of mechanics and application, is never discussed.

But...but... Combat!...

I liked how every time they mentioned the player would be able to use cool abilities at the beginning they would almost only show the Bounty Hunter and a maybe a force-user, what is cover the only cool thing smugglers get? I mean they could have... dammit that's about it really in term of combat abilities.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived