Home

Just found the mod

JediMidrik

if you have a windows 98 and a computer from that time, yes! j/k. yeah it's worth playing the original yet i don't know if the steam version is the very same as when it was launched... maybe a bit updated for the current hardware...

Tried it out for the first 2 levels. It's pretty good for its time. I was drawn into DOOM at the time, so I never had the chance to play it. I find the detail, although more grusome, more textured in DOOM.

But the addition of talking characters and animation was interesting. Not sure that would work for the original DOOM.

Kyle looks a bit like Hon, LOL. Only know the bearded guy from Jedi Knight.

Anyway, level design is amazing! Better in some cases than the Jedi Knight 2003 games.

Only thing that makes me cringe sometimes is the model animations for some cut scenes, like speaking, facial expressions, etc. I know its just a mod team, but if possible, some improvements can be done.

The rain effects in the second level were pretty cool, and the additions compared to the classic game, make it so much more real. maybe a little overdone on the skeletons. I was expecting to see more of a variety, like burnt corpses, and lightly damaged corpes. Like that you would see after killing an enemy, laying there.

Although, I have to admit, some of the overhead lighting can be a bit to blinding. If you are all still in development, I would suggest at one point toning it down, just to where you can see through the light. I recall walking through one room full of these lights, not a clue where i was heading.

Keep up the awesome work :D

I finished it, and enjoyed it as a mod. Although, I can't help myself at not being totaly satisfied. I know its only the first few levels. One thing about classic game remakes is its really for hardcore fans of the classics. I felt the game getting repetative, as it was designed after the layout of the original. The layout of the maps also increased the noticability of bad AI. I think Lucas Arts designed maps to hide this fault as much possible. When it comes to classic remakes for dos games, I think they need an entire makeover all around. For instance DOOM 3 was a remake of the original game. And although they may have changed more than I liked it was refreshing, in a nightmarish way : P

i can't run the mod anymore at least not with win 7 64... here is my current target line for the mod

"C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\JediAcademy.exe" +set fs_game dfmod

it doesn't load the main menu of the mod! JA is at version 1.01!

any suggestions?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

How do I install this mod on the Steam version of Jedi Academy? Do I just drop the files into the root folder or do I gotta do some thing special?

BTW, awesome work on this mod! The screenshots look incredible.

Well I'm having a problem, I copy the "+set fs_game dfmod" to the target line as it says in the instructions and when I click apply it says not valid. What now?

Edit: I fixed it! I had to right click on the icon in Steam and then click on Launch Options and put in "+set fs_game dfmod" in the box.

Yeah, I thought the 6-mod demo was splendid. However, the first three levels (from the earlier demo) seemed more fleshed out than the others, for instance a lot of the interior archi in the Detention Center level seemed too DF-like to me (the exteriors were marvellous, though). Still great stuff!

The idea when we started this mod, way back in... well, I can't remember, was to bring Kyle's first adventures to the current generation Star Wars game. Although we had the chance of making the things the way we thought they should have been, it was decided to remain faithful to the original while improving over the aspects that the Dark Forces team couldn't achieve due to the technical limitations they had back in 1995. For our generation, which enjoyed the original DF when it came out, making and even playing this remake felt refreshing even when we almost knew the layout by memory. I'm hoping to rejoin the team if the project still lives. There are many things to be done yet.

I can respect that view, but personally, I prefer the team's current stance, which is that this mod is a re-imagining rather than a remake. To me, the excitement comes from completely envisioning how the level can play out with modern software.

A comparison I've made on here a million times is that of the original Tomb Raider and Tomb Raider: Anniversary. In my opinion, that is a re-imagined game done right.

As such, I hope the Dark Forces mod continues to follow the pattern they've been following: keep things generally familiar, but don't be afraid to be wildly creative.

Archived