Home

Company Plans to Build Falloutesque shelters

JediAthos

A company in California named Vivos is planning on building 20 underground "luxury apartments" that would hold about 200 people each and are designed to survive apocalyptic events. I found this while looking up something on The Vault (Fallout wikia) and it struck me as kinda creepy considering the game on my TV screen right now.

Story here: http://consumerist.com/2010/04/survive-the-apocalypse-in-luxury-for-just-50000.html

:lol: the comments on the article are hilarious!

Being a bit on the agoraphobic side.. yeah, this doesn't look appealing at all. Guess I'll be sailing away on those 450mph winds (or my ashes) from the nuke. :fist:

Since I'm relatively close (blast radius) to Oak Ridge/ORNL/Y12, I'm pretty much in the target zone anyways. I'll be one of the first ones hit.

Don't worry though, I'll be sure to "Ghoul Out" and haunt every one of you LFN'ers that dare to enter the Metro :grnlgh:

So THAT is where all our money went here in CA. :dozey: And I thought I recognized extreme low frequency hums like deep underground equipment in the night; you can't really hear it but you can feel the reverberations.

So were thay planning to save the people who slave away or just the VIPs? :swear:

Then again, all I'd have to do is run up the hill a ways from this countryside and I'm in good shape. :p

"designed to withstand a 50 megaton blast within 10 miles, a series of force 10 earthquakes, 450 MPH surface winds, a 1,000,000 volt electromagnetic pulse (EMP), and flooding submersion for up to 500 hours."[/Quote] Is there a money back guarantee?

Of course this assumes you live long enough to make it back to your fancy shelter, and that no one has decided to "borrow" it before you can get in...

Also, I doubt they come stocked with quite enough food or water to last 200 people 1 year. You'd either have to get everyone to bring a bunch of MREs and water, or bring a weapon and kill everyone inside who's not your family or friend. I'm also curious about where the power for the electricity comes from.

That doesn't even take into account the supplies you'd need for reestablishing yourself on the surface, such as extra food while you try to find somewhere to grow or hunt it, water purification kits, and weapons to deal with raiders. (Though assuming the nuclear strikes were targeted, and not world covering, you could probably reach somewhere in the countryside fairly quickly assuming you know what direction the fallout was initially blown in).

So yeah, the plan seems a tad shortsighted. Easier solution: Live very far away from major cities, and buy weapons to give you some leverage when dealing with any raider/refugees.

Honestly, a very large scale nuclear attack is unlikely. Much more likely is a "suitcase nuke" or very low-yield nuclear bomb situation. Unfortunate if you live in a city or its immediate suburbs, but not too bad if you live farther away.

edit: however, living underground does save money on heating costs, so it does have its benefits.

• 4 months later...

Archived