Home

Fate of Atlantis novelization

whipwarrior

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just read the prologue and I absolutely love it! You 're a really good writer, you should definitely keep doing this!

I really like the way you managed to write FOA's story in a different manner than the original story, but I still get that 'Indy feeling' by reading it.

Greatest piece of fan fiction that I've ever read, cheers!

Only read a part of the preface, but I liked it very much -- I can see what you mean about having to adapt the story to fit the different medium, and it works so well. The intro of the game (which is one of the best intros ever) would be very dull in a book.

I'd be interested in printing this off and reading it like a real book once it's finished.

Thanks for the compliments. A guy named VP at the IndyGear forum is making a PDF version in-progress as I finish each chapter. You can view it at his website: http://indyville.fi/villen_muut_tiedostot/foa_novel/foa.pdf

I am currently in the middle of writing chapter 12. With luck, I'll have it finished in a week or two, depending on how cooperative my muse is, and whether or not I can resist the spell of Nur-Ab-Sal, the great Atlantean god of procrastination! :lol:

Enjoy reading!

I *LOVE* the Dark Horse comic adaption! Yes, there are several references to the FOA comic in my novelization, but I'm mostly using the game itself as my primary source of inspiration, combining elements from the various three paths in my narrative in order to get the best of everything in the story.

Glad you like! It's really a blast to write, because the story is already in place, so I'm never stuck without a way to proceed. No writer's block here! And I have total creative freedom when it becomes necessary to diverge from the game in each location where Indy and Sophia's actions are limited to talking to one or two characters for information, or trying to solve a puzzle.

I noticed that you're also playing Hal Barwood's Mata Hari. I just got my copy last week, and it's really cool. I've been playing it every night, and I'm already on Chapter 3. Did you spot the Indiana Jones reference in Madrid? :lol:

I can't remember if that line was in the original version of the prologue, or the final version, which was edited by Rob MacGregor (Rob and I go way back). I e-mailed him the prologue for his professional evaluation, just to see if I had the Indy style down, and he responded very favorably, adding a few tips on how to 'tighten' the narrative. So I used his editing style as an example for all subsequent chapters, and the story is so much better for it.

My choice of Julianne Moore to represent Sophia goes back to the days of the old IndyFan forum: http://www.indyfan.com/vault/forum/messages/1038.html

Yeah, I've been pretty much obsessed with FOA since I first played it back in 1993. When we were discussing the possible cinematic interpretations of the game at IndyFan, Julianne immediately sprang to mind as the perfect Sophia Hapgood. She had a nice, abrasive repartee with Harrison Ford during their brief scene together in The Fugitive, so it made sense that they could bring that same kind of energy to Indy and Sophia's caustic banter. It works on paper, at least. :)

• 1 month later...

Okay folks, chapter 12 is online for your reading enjoyment. FOA will be on 'publishing' hiatus until this fall, while I write the next five or so chapters detailing Indy and Sophia's adventures on Crete, and into Atlantis. As you know, the game gets much more complex after Algeria, so there's a lot of continuity to keep track of, in addition to figuring out how to pare down all of those mind-bending mazes into a comprehensive, compact narrative (I can't have Indy backtracking endlessly to find all of those robot parts to get the orichalcum machine working!).

Enjoy the new chapter, and have a great summer! :)

http://newsradiofanfic.angelfire.com/Atlantis.html

I'm tempted, but I will stay strong... I'll wait until it's all done!

Oh, and I'm torn between yelling "WRITE FASTER!!!" (with the appropriate whipping going along) and "TAKE YOUR GODDAMN TIME AND MAKE SURE IT'S AWESOME!!!" (with even more whipping going on). Can't decide yet, but I'm sure someone will get whipped.

LOL Don't worry, I promise that it will be good. Right now I am in the middle of writing chapter 13, which features our heroes traveling to the German digsite to investigate the Nazi expedition. Once they find the sunstone, a spectacular chase will ensue as Indy and company flee to the Mediterranean coast and escape to Crete via hot air balloon. This will easily be the most action-packed chapter yet, with action to rival the tank chase in Last Crusade. Really dynamite stuff! Please try to be patient, because I promise that it's worth the wait. :thmbup1:

I thought Temple of Doom was a great novelization (my least favorite is the Raiders of the Lost Ark adaption by Campbell Black; I personally don't care for his glib writing style). Reading should be a pleasure, not a tedious task where the reader has to force themselves to keep going. The trick, I think, in writing a good Indy story is to have an equal measure of action, humor, and information, so that the narrative maintains an entertaining flow, and the reader is always engaged intellectually, or laughing at some situation (usually involving poor Sophia, bless her heart).

It's a fine line to walk, and I hope that I can maintain the pace, and not 'jump the shark' the way LucasArts did with Infernal Machine. What makes my job easy is Hal Barwood's excellent storyline. The characters are literally in a different location every few chapters, so the story is constantly fresh and exciting. Believe me, I am doing this novel for the true diehard FOA fans, and I strive to make it as good as possible, because the game is legendary. It's a tall order to fill! :)

Archived