Home

Fate of Atlantis novelization

whipwarrior

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The prologue was edited by Rob MacGregor, who said that my writing definitely captures the Indy style. Believe me, it gets better (and better and better!). I printed out a giant version of your incredible Knossos labyrinth map for easy reference when I get to the Crete section of the story. Believe it or not, I've been playing FOA since 1994, and I *STILL* get confused in the labyrinth! Yeah, pretty sad, I know... But it's my favorite game of all time, and I enjoy every little nuance of it (even the frustrating ones). :)

Heh, I know the feeling. The labyrinth was probably my favorite part in the game, I just couldn't resist making a map. The atmosphere there is just so good.

Mind you though, I made a mistake on the vanilla map, the tram that goes directly to atlantis which is connected to doorway 43 is facing the wrong way. On my map it's facing south, while it should face north.

I read a bit further, and I have some criticism.

- Indy often calls Sophia "Sophie", which he never does in the game, kinda annoys me. It feels out of character.

- When I hear the name Torsten, I think of Scandinavia, not Germany.

Otherwize it's good mostly, some of the filling in of the blank spots is nicely done. In other places I'm not so sure, though I couldn't do any better.

Thanks for the comments. Indy calling Sophia "Sophie" is one of several references to the Dark Horse Fate of Atlantis comic, in which he does the same. Regarding the Abwehr agents, I chose their names from a list of German names. However, I didn't pick their surnames until I wrote chapter 12, where Kerner addresses them formally. In keeping true to their personalities, Fleischer means 'butcher', while Sankt means 'saint'. Both names are appropriate to the spirit of the characters.

In honor of the 1-year anniversary of FOA, which I started writing on June 15, 2009, I have revamped the menu with a Lost Dialogue of Plato index theme. If you drag your cursor over the "Greek" chapter titles, Nur-Ab-Sal renders them into English (his eyes also glow mysteriously as a cool bonus). The remaining chapter titles are revealed, but they don't contain any spoilers. Since they will not be finished for some time, they simply hyperlink to the main index page.

Hope everyone likes it! :thmbup1:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Laserschwert, I'm surprised by YOUR tenacity! I don't have that kind of willpower; I would have caved-in a long time ago! :) At this point, I'm in the middle of chapter 16, which I expect to have finished by mid-December, and I am optimistically estimating to have the novel completed by spring. There are 20 chapters total, plus a brief 2-page epilogue which I wrote back in July 2009 (quite literally, a perfect finale, guaranteed leave a smile on every reader's face). I've also commissioned an alternate cover painting from Krede, so fans who wish to print out a copy of the book at home will have two covers to choose from. And now, back to Crete!

how about publishing it via lulu.com or something?

LucasLegal will basically rip him apart ;) There NO CHANCE to publish this thing without getting into serious legal trouble.

Also, there's no reason, as you can get it printed yourself at a book on demand service like ePubli.de

Laserschwert, I'm surprised by YOUR tenacity! I don't have that kind of willpower; I would have caved-in a long time ago! :) At this point, I'm in the middle of chapter 16, which I expect to have finished by mid-December, and I am optimistically estimating to have the novel completed by spring. There are 20 chapters total, plus a brief 2-page epilogue which I wrote back in July 2009 (quite literally, a perfect finale, guaranteed leave a smile on every reader's face). I've also commissioned an alternate cover painting from Krede, so fans who wish to print out a copy of the book at home will have two covers to choose from. And now, back to Crete!

Wow, spring sounds even faster then I expected... I can easily do that ;)

The PDF format version of the novel is being made for those who wish to print out a copy of the book at home, since there is no chance of the story being published for real. Yes, I have thought about using one of those print-on-demand services for a small run of professional-looking perfect bound books, but I would likely run into the legal snag because Indiana Jones is a copyrighted character. So, it's better to avoid that road altogether.

Regarding my completion timeframe, I'm projecting April or May, depending on how smoothly (or not) the writing process goes. Since I often work ahead of myself, I've already written a LOT of material for the last five chapters (some really top-calibre stuff, too!). The challenge for me is to arrange the sequence of events in Atlantis while minimizing all of the redundant action from the game. I need Indy and Sophia to navigate the city in an organic way, arrive at the major locations with all of the items necessary to solve the problem, and get to the center of Atlantis before Kerner's team.

Once chapter 16 is out of the way, we take the U-boat down to the airlock, and then the race to discover the secret history of Atlantis begins!

Maybe you guys can get away with printing stories based on copyrighted intellectual properties in Europe, but I'd be afraid to try it here in the U.S. However, if there is some legal loophole that permits such printing, I would be very interested in having a small run of FOA books professionally printed up as gifts to those who contributed to the story. Perhaps a limited 20-copy print run. Depends on the cost, but it would be the coolest thing ever! :thmbup1:

I have no idea, but I'd rather not risk it. Odds are, the printing company would take one look at the professionally-designed cover with the Indiana Jones logo, and contact Lucasfilm. It's like using any copyrighted character for fan fiction: As long as the work is distributed for free, then everything is fine. The trouble begins when money is involved (whether trying to sell it, or having it replicated for print). With the free PDF version, it simplifies the problem for anyone who cares to print out a copy for their bookshelf at home. I plan on making a dozen home-made copies to give out as thank-you gifts to everyone who contributed to the story (even though it will cost me a small fortune in paper and computer ink cartridges). :)

Well, you're right, better be on the safe side.

Still, it's highly unlikely that the first thing they'll do is contacting Lucasfilm or LucasArts. They'll contact YOU, and you would give them the run down about it being your novel and a print run of maybe 20 books not being something to squeeze high profits from (with each book printing costing around 15 bucks, I wouldn't even know how to sell them for profit).

But again, I'm talking European standards here, where the first thing that comes to people's minds isn't sueing each other's asses off.

But again, I'm talking European standards here, where the first thing that comes to people's minds isn't sueing each other's asses off.

Hahaha!! I recently got back from a trip to the USA, I genuinely worried about this. If I accidentally hit someone who is trying to steal my wallet I'm done for. Thankfully I've escaped every time I've been there so far. Good thing most people are actually very friendly there.

P.S. The deep south isn't like in the movies at all. It's far worse.

Whipwarrior: Thanks yet again, I'm printing it out right now for tonight's reading session!

Thanks yet again, I'm printing it out right now for tonight's reading session!

Finally caving into the pressure, eh? I don't blame you, and I congratulate you for holding out as long as you did. I promise that the story is well worth the wait.

And yes, the deep south is much worse than it's portrayed in Hollywood. I should know, since I've lived here for most of my life (and I'm thoroughly sick of it!). One day, when I've saved up enough money, I'd like to get the hell out of here and move back west, to Texas again, or perhaps Arizona or New Mexico. :)

Archived