Home

Fate of Atlantis novelization

whipwarrior

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's nonsense not to print it out for private use, even in book form which you've paid money for. The difficulty comes from people making a profit from the book (and therefore the copyrighted characters) and even then it would have to be a reasonable profit to bother with doing anything.

Just look at Youtube. Most of the stuff there violates copyright, and occasional things get taken down, but only if they're too popular and the copyright holder has some issue with it -- and even then there are no recriminations.

Earlier this year I tried my hand at home bookbinding, and I came up with a reasonable facsimile of a perfect-bound trade paperback, so I might go that route, although it will take a considerable amount of time and computer paper to do. Also, I'm a perfectionist, so each book must be near-perfect in order to satisfy me. We'll see if my patience holds out long enough for me to accomplish the minimal 8-book run for my inner circle. The PDF version will be available for the general public, if they actually deem the story worth printing out.

I used lulu.com recently and thought it was good (though the P&P is high, only it doesn't go up if you order lots of copies, so it's cheaper to order in bulk). I could change the look of the whole book very easily, and it printed out in good quality. The book itself, around 150 pages, is only £3.60 to buy.

That was the first option I checked out, and while it looks promising for original fiction, I still think they would put the brakes on a copyrighted property like Indy. The only thing that would make me happy is to have it printed up EXACTLY like the Bantam Indy novels from the 90's: trade paperback size, with the same exact typesetting and font face, cover style (which Krede copied brilliantly for the artwork), and chapter front logo. Like I said, I'm going to try my damnedest to make it myself (and I will post pics here if the product looks suitably professional).

For those following the story, chapter 16 will be posted soon, so stay tuned.

Whipwarrior, I wanted you to know that I registered here just so I could tell you how much I've enjoyed this novelization you are working on.

I have always been a huge lifelong Indyfan, and Fate of Atlantis is just about one of my favorite adventure games (and Indy stories) ever, and you are doing an amazing job with it. I only recently discovered your adaptation, and I must say that I have been glued to it since the moment I started reading it. The way that you have enhanced, reconceptualized, and added to familiar scenes from the game is impeccable, and your characterization of Indy (and Sophia) is right on the money, in my opinion. And the project so far seems to be incredibly well-researched. I particularly love how you've managed to give the story all this added gravitas by really establishing it against the backdrop of the race for the atomic bomb--this is something that was only really briefly mentioned in the original game, but never expanded upon, and I think your version is vastly improved because of it. It just gives their quest so much more urgency. I love it. Great, great work.

I eagerly await the completion of this wonderful project. Also, I hope you don't mind--I took the liberty of posting the link to your work in progress at a few fan sites I frequent, including the Raven (raven.raider.net) which is probably the most comprehensive Indy fan site on the net, if you haven't been there. Anyway, thanks for reviving all these great memories in your project--it really is like experiencing the story all over again for the first time. Fantastic!

Wow, thank you for the kind words! Yes, Fate of Atlantis is definitely a labor of love, and I hope it shows in the finished product. It's also gratifying when readers notice the research that I've put into a story (and believe me, I've definitely had my work cut out for me on FOA!). The decision to focus on the nuclear arms race was very intentional, believe me. After all, the plot device is at the core of Hal Barwood's brilliant storyline. Unfortunately, the ominous gravity of the situation was glossed-over in favor of pacing for the game. But I felt that it was essential to restore the sense of danger for dramatic purposes in the novelization, and it makes the narrative stronger, I think.

Indy and Sophia's chemistry is a result of playing FOA practically hundreds of times over the years, while the tone and style of the story are the product of my devotion to the official Indiana Jones novels, which I've also read countless times since the early 90's.

EDIT: chapter 16 is complete, and this one has it all: adventure, intrigue, a dash of humor, and a dramatic ending to rival any cliffhanger scene in the Indy books or movies! The remainder of the story will be posted when the novel is finished (due to the complexity of the Atlantis portion). I know it will be a tough wait, but well worth it when you see the final product.

http://newsradiofanfic.angelfire.com/Atlantis16.html

Well, my goal, as it stands, is to complete one chapter per month, finishing the book in April or May. Since I've been writing material for the Atlantis portion from the start of the project (June 2009), I already have one hell of a jump on it. Last week, I drafted a 2-page outline to organize everything, and it seems to work out really well. *fingers crossed*

So yes, read the Star Wars novels first, and then move onto FOA. Many of the chapters are rather lengthy, so it should keep you occupied for awhile, depending on how quickly you blaze through it. Still, any wait that must be incurred between now and the final 'publication' next year will be rewarded with a fantastic finale, I promise.

Happy reading! :)

UPDATE: Here is the beginning of chapter 17, so my faithful readers won't be left hanging for the next 4 months, worrying about our intrepid hero! So don't say that I never did anything nice for you guys!

http://newsradiofanfic.angelfire.com/Atlantis17.html

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to gauge the opinion of the FOA audience. What is your favorite / least favorite puzzles and/or locations in the city of Atlantis? As with the previous parts of the game, I must pare down unnecessary puzzles to streamline the narrative, and I'd like to see what I can jettison without causing too much disappointment. I've already decided not to use the crab-like raft, since it is too slow a mode of transportation. Don't worry, I've come up with a MUCH better (and cooler!) method of circling the inner city!

So, give me some feedback! :thmbup1:

Still haven't read the novel yet - going to try and hang on until it's all done. But I seem to remember Indy does a fair bit of tinkering about in and repairing Atlantean machinery, that could be cut down a lot. The orichalcum machine is cool, and important to the storyline, but having to carry a cupful of lava around to power it up is pretty unbelievable. Maybe a way to take out the guard holding Sophia captive that puts Indy in greater danger than just popping a bead in a statue?

Quite like the fragile lava tiles near the end, hope they stay...

If you're ace at fighting with the keypad, it's possible to take out the guard using your fists. The statue solution is more fun though. :)

Or you could combine them and have Indy slip a bead into the statue's mouth during the fight as he's about to lose.

Yes, I agree that Indy knowing how to spontaneously repair ancient Atlantean machinery is a bit unbelievable (he's an archaeologist, not an engineer!). The orichalcum machine is definitely staying, but carrying around a cup of molten metal by hand simply isn't practical, so I'll have to come up with something else. The sentry statue will also be present, but not in the dungeon room. I think the lava tiles will be used as scenery rather than the actual path to the colossus island, since no human being in his right mind would walk across crusted magma. That's just suicide!

But those are all good and valid points, and have been duly noted. Thank you all very much for addressing them. Please feel free to add anything else that comes to mind! :thmbup1:

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The novel is currently being formatted into ePub and PDF versions for instant download, plus I wanted to release it on the anniversary of when I began the project: June 15th. Just hang in there awhile longer, I promise it'll be worth it!

Honestly, I don't have the time nor resources to make print copies on demand, which is why the novel will also be available in PDF format, so it can be printed from anyone's home computer if they want a physical copy of the book. But I would think that most people would opt for the free downloadable ePub version since e-books are all the rage.

9048910572_f483a2d6ac_o.jpg

Do you want it good or do you want it fast?

That’s the quote I often cited whenever I thought of the people waiting for the completion of this story over the years. For those patient individuals in the former category, I promise it was worth the wait. For everyone in the latter, I offer the proverb that art cannot be rushed, and hope that they agree. In any case, the day has finally arrived!

But first, let’s have a round of applause to Laserschwert and Norman Eschenfelder for their excellent work in adapting the novel for digital distribution. They went above and beyond the call of duty in helping to bring Fate of Atlantis to the world, along with Krede, whose incredible artwork really took my writing to the next level. I am proud to count each of them a friend as well as a collaborator, and they deserve an equal share of the praise for the story that you’re about to read.

And now, on with the show!

9046685289_6e0e506473_o.jpg

ePub file

azw3 file

mobi file

PDF file

Here's a little bonus material, just for fun!

Synchronicity, according to Rob & Trish MacGregor in The 7 Secrets of Synchronicity, is the coming together of inner and outer events in a way that is meaningful to the observer and which can’t be explained by cause and effect. Or: meaningful coincidence. The term was coined by Swiss psychologist Carl Jung, who first wrote about it in 1949, in his introduction to Richard Wilhelm’s edition of the I Ching. It’s a fascinating phenomenon that can provide guidance, confirmation, warning, and infuses life with a sense of wonder and mystery. It can offer a glimpse into your future, and cause you to feel you’re on the right track, in the groove, exactly where you’re supposed to be.

Here are several astonishing synchros that prodded me along the path to this novel.

June 15, 2009: The day of inspiration. I’d stayed up late the previous night playing Fate of Atlantis for the first time in years, revisiting my favorite game and enjoying every minute of it. Early in the morning I was at work, going about my job, pleasantly reminiscing about the game and looking forward to playing it again that night, when out of the blue the first line of text flashed through my head. I quickly jotted it down with shaking hands. Adrenaline shot through me as I suddenly realized that I had to write a novelization of the game. My mind was on fire as I began to furiously scribble notes, scarcely faster than the ideas poured out of me. The rest of the day flew by as a blur of increasing zeal for the new project, and I was a mass of nerves by the time 5’oclock rolled around. I was practically bursting with creative energy. I HAD to get home and start writing!

I raced home to my apartment, grabbed my laptop computer and headed over to my parents’ house for Wi-Fi access (which I didn’t have at home). When I arrived, I dashed up the path, opened the front door in astonishment to see the word ATLANTIS splayed across the large 56-inch TV screen in the living room, superimposed over a glittering sea of aqua blue water. It was a commercial for the Atlantis resort in the Bahamas! I laughed with delight. It was a sign from the universe, confirming that I was meant to write the Fate of Atlantis novelization. I set to work immediately on my creative odyssey, and haven’t looked back until now.

July 20 – a month later. All day long I was intensely focused on chapter 15, where Indy and Sophia arrive on Crete. The chapter was still many months away, but I was working ahead in anticipation since Crete is my favorite part of the game. I was playing scenarios in my head, obsessing over the details of the locale, and jotting down ideas that would form the narrative. Creatively, my mind was on fire again. I couldn’t wait to start working on the chapter. Arriving at my next delivery (I’m a courier by profession), I pull into the adjacent Home Depot parking lot. As I round a row of wooden sheds, I see a diesel trailer occupying the row of empty spaces where I usually park. I laughed with amazement at the words: CRETE SHIPPING printed in bold red letters across the side of the trailer, amazed at the universe’s sense of humor. Clearly another good omen for the novel.

August 2010: I went to the DMV to apply for a vanity tag for my new (used) car, a MK4 Volkswagen Golf. What better word than ‘Atlantis’ to commemorate my all-time favorite Indy game and the novel that I was writing? I tried to get ATLNTIS or ATLNTS. Both were taken. The clerk recommended that I wait until my tag was actually due for renewal in January, otherwise I would have to pay the $90 fee all over again. So I returned on my birthday with a sure-fire spelling which I felt guaranteed to get: ATLANTS. Taken. Luckily, I’d prepared a list of Volkswagen-related ideas, and my first choice was available.

Skip to February 2011: It’s a rainy, dreary overcast Thursday morning, the kind of day where I just want to stay home and sleep. Except I had to work. When I arrived, my supervisor said: “What are you doing here? Aren’t you off today?” Confused, I replied, “Not unless someone changed the schedule and didn’t tell me.” I customarily work 8am to 5pm, Monday through Friday, and very seldom work on weekends, so I hardly ever look at the schedule. Sure enough: off Thursday, work Saturday. I said bye and gratefully headed back to my car, eager to get home and crawl back into bed again. As I’m driving down the street, there’s a burgundy minivan about 20 feet ahead of me. Approaching the traffic light, I get closer to the van. When I pull up to stop behind it, I was astonished to see that it has a vanity plate that reads: ATLNTIS.

What are the odds that, in the ENTIRE state, I see the exact vanity tag that I tried in vain to secure last year? The odds that the person driving that vehicle lives in my city? Positively astronomical. And I never would have seen the plate if I’d been at home asleep like I should have been on my day off. It was yet another friendly nudge from the cosmos, telling me that I was on the right path.

March 2012: I was browsing Amazon.com for Atlantis books when my search results brought up Mystic Places, the first volume in the Time-Life Mysteries of the Unknown series, published in the late 80’s. I remembered the TV commercials for the series as a kid, and how badly I wanted to order the set (my parents refused to buy it for me). So I ordered a mint-condition copy and then surfed over to YouTube to see if the vintage commercial was available. Naturally it was, and as I watched it for the first time since 1988, I was amazed to see that it opened with a very familiar redhead: a 20-something Julianne Moore – my very own Sophia Hapgood!

I watched the TV spot several times, and it synched up with my childhood memory quite well, since I did recall the pretty redhead. Of course I had no idea who she was back then because Julianne wasn’t famous, and I’d never seen her until The Fugitive in 1993, opposite Harrison Ford (Indy!). But here’s where it gets really interesting. A couple weeks after receiving the book from Amazon, I happened to pull out my old Fate of Atlantis game manual. At the very end of the booklet is a short list of books recommended for further reading. Mystic Places was right in the middle of it! A few days later, I was re-reading the Wikipedia article on the game, where I was astonished to find that Mystic Places was the very book which inspired Hal Barwood on the subject of Indy’s Atlantean quest. Indeed, the very first chapter in the book covers the story of Atlantis.

But the Julianne Moore connection is the kicker: I first pictured Julianne for the character of Sophia back in 1998 (http://indyfan.com/vault/forum/messages/992.html), a full decade after I’d first seen the Time-Life commercial, but a decade before writing the story. There was virtually NO WAY that I could have consciously made that connection!

June 14, 2013: Fate of Atlantis was dominant in my thoughts as I drove to work, anticipating the debut of my first novel. I ruminated on how the project started almost exactly 4 years earlier, the support and enthusiasm of the Indy fans who eagerly awaited each new chapter posted online, and those who patiently held out, preferring to enjoy the completed story as intended. Arriving at work, I happened to glance at my car's odometer for no apparent reason, only to see that the mileage read: 90039. It was nearly a mirror of the year that Fate of Atlantis occurs in: 1939!

And that’s the magic of synchronicity. You don’t look for it; It will find you! :D

UPDATE: Another synchronicity. I just visited Wikipedia and today's featured article is the animated film Atlantis: The Lost Empire!

At last! Thanks a lot!

I've read into the first chapter and I'm now planning to order me a printed copy from bod.de (they offer stitched-binding for hardcover books), but the bitmaps in the pdf are very low-res.

Is it possible to increase the resolution?

Archived