Home

MI Music likenesses

xgfx

I was wondering whether anyone has spotted any music that may have influenced Monkey Island? Over the last year or two I've accidently found some, that I believe to be fairly possible inspirations due to

a) both bands being influenced by Caribbean style music

b) both pre-date MI

Annoying thing is, even though they remind me of MI, i cannot pinpoint which exact parts of the soundtrack.

Here's a Spotify playlist I created so you can listen to the songs for free. (EU only I believe): http://open.spotify.com/user/xgfx/playlist/7rnLdjZdAtL9LW9nkCoQsu

Otherwise the songs are as follows:

Madness - Grey day : I think this song reminds me of Melee forest theme, I can't quite put my finger on it though. (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/MI1-CD/10%20-%20Mele%E9%20Forest.mp3)

The Police - Walking on the moon : unsure which this reminds me of, think it's just the rhythm more than anything.

The Police : Wrapped Around Your Finger - this one just reminds me of some of the effects used in the backgrounds of the music rather than a song itself. I think it's the Monkey Island background music.

I don't think Bob Marley had any real influence on the music, it certainly doesn't sound like any of his music. I would guess they named Elaine Marley separately to the music being composed (just a guess).

I can hear the influences in the music linked, though... Nothing too strong, but similar moments. Probably the "reggae-ness" that Monkey Mania mentioned more than anything.

I'd never actually thought about the ragge influrence in the MI music before...

Madness - Grey Day makes me think of the LeChuck theme more, but the rythm of The Police makes me think of the Melee Island music (but it's probably just the reggae influrence).

On a slightly different (but related) topic: J. Geil Band's "Monkey Island." Ah yes, now there was a song.

Alltogether now: "THERE AINT NO LIFE ON MOOOOOOONKEY IIIIISLAND!"

I just have to get this out of the way first - the youtube video interface just changed before my eyes as I went from one video to the other... I feel like I've witnessed a MAJOR EVENT

Anyway, Master Blaster by Stevie Wonder always reminded me of Monkey Island.

Edit: It just changed back. At the risk of being disgustingly off-topic, here's a screenshot:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
omgoshlolol.png

Ahem, anyway. Yeah, MI has a lot of reggae music. I think it's because it's set in the Caribbean. >.>

Yeah, I remember Land talking about the Grateful Dead. I'm a big fan, but I've not heard anything specific that sounded Monkey Islandy to me. Of course, you could spend your whole life listening to the Dead and still not hear everything they recorded... There's also (as my infamous post once included) The 13th Floor Elevators.

Not to mention the Finntroll song that was explicitly based on musical cues from Escape From Monkey Island.

Archived