Home

Empire Strikes Back named as greatest movie sequel

Astor

Meh. I liked Dark Knight better than ESB. :lol: In fact, sad as this is, ESB is my least favorite Star Wars movie (unless you count the TCW movie), probably 'cuz I got to see it every night for four months straight...

Still, it was a good sequel, much better than most of the ones on that list that I've seen.

^Agreed. YAY!

I also agree that Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Aliens, The Dark Knight and Evil Dead II are all terrific sequels, but as far as sequels go, The Godfather, Part II sets the bar very high.

Can't argue much with the top 5, but I still would have put Terminator 2 over ESB, but only by a very small margin. ESB was a great movie, but it is also clearly part of a trilogy. T2 arrived, and in of itself was a complete movie. You really don't even need to see the first at all to enjoy T2, and it ends with a complete wrap up of it. You don't feel like T2 needed another movie after, which is why T3 and T4 are so, well... offensive.

Dark Knight is much the same. I've heard critics say that a good sequel is one that can stand by itself as a near complete movie, and its one of the few things I'll agree with major critics on. Lord of the Rings Two Towers and ESB are both great movies, but both really require a viewing of the previous and next to get a full scope of things. Even Aliens is quite capable of surviving as a single movie, although not to the level of T2 or Dark Knight.

So, while I love ESB... I would have put T2 over it but that is just me. Rest of the list looks pretty right.

So, while I love ESB... I would have put T2 over it but that is just me. Rest of the list looks pretty right.

Terminator 2 doesn't have shots like this, now, does it?

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
esb15.jpg

So, yeah.

Archived