Home

"Do Your Best"... ooh! Headshotted ju! PWNED!!1!

ChAiNz.2da

In a move that may horrify old-school former Scouts, the Boy Scouts of America has announced it will offer two awards – a pin and a belt loop – to boys who spend hours playing video games.
Source

:disaprove Far be it from me to 'down' video games (would be a bit hypocritical).. but in the Cub Scouts?!? You know, the younger generation of the Boy Scouts.

I was actually in the Cub Scouts believe it or not.. and I always looked forward to the outdoors, swimming, hiking. Hell, they gave me an award for playing with fire. :lol: Not sure I'm too keen on this.

Besides.. Xbox/PS3 already awards me with "pins" (achievements & trophies) :xp:

Well, it's not as bad as the aritcle makes is sound. Actually, instead of encouraging kids to play lots of video games, it's encouraging them to regulate their video game playing, simultaneously leaving time to do their chores and homework. Also, it's teaching the kids to value the rating system and to play games appropriate for their age.

Source

I don't see a problem with this.

While I can definitely applaud the "goals" of the awards... gawdz knows there needs to be some education, for an organization such as the Scouts it seems a bit out of place (I'd go as far to say the chess one too :xp: )

scout_pins.jpg

I can understand what they're trying to do however... :golfclap:

I don't have a major problem with this since many parents seem unwilling or unable to regulate the amount of time their children spend in front of the TV.

The Boy Scouts shouldn't have to do this...but at least they have a decent purpose behind it.

Actually...

Doctors, meticulous artists, sports players, and so on claim that playing a lot of video game helps with their hand-eye coordination, smaller details on things like surgery, and so on. I'm not going to go out of my way to dig them up right now, but I've read plenty of studies that show that surgeons that played video games while developing grew to be generally more accurate and better surgeons on the table.

So, while I question giving a merit badge for I wouldn't call it a complete loss :p

The study on surgeons showed that surgeons who played video games were better at laparoscopic surgeries (where you have to watch a TV monitor while manipulating tiny instruments inside the patient) than non-game playing peers. The researchers determined it's the skill picked up by using a controller or keyboard to manipulate things on a screen. I wholeheartedly endorse good doctors who game.

I view video games in the same category as watching TV--it's just entertainment. I get what the Cub Scouts are trying to do, but with all the problems with child obesity, I'd still like to see them focusing on all the outdoor activities. Kids need to learn to have an active lifestyle now more than ever.

I view video games in the same category as watching TV--it's just entertainment. I get what the Cub Scouts are trying to do, but with all the problems with child obesity, I'd still like to see them focusing on all the outdoor activities. Kids need to learn to have an active lifestyle now more than ever.

Hmmmm, well in that case that might be a job FOOOOR..................

picture.php?albumid=434&pictureid=6358

(Sorry...merit badges not included.)

^^^Bleh, the wii "motion intensive" stuff isn't always functional to its intended purpose... well, not for the most part that I have seen. I haven't even used it all that much and I am left scratching my head how anyone could get even remotely winded doing some of these things.

Hand eye coordination only really sharpens with reflex intensive games--sorry hardcore RPG'ers this does not apply to most of you. BTW I thought the medical field was desperate for professionals...oh wai-- what is this? All sorts of people not doing well in college b/c of video games? My myyyyyy. :dev8::lol:

For reals now: I have to agree w/ ping and Jae that it's just not merit badge material. People will also only only learn just enough time regulation to just get by. It goes into entertainment more than anything else.

^^^Bleh, the wii "motion intensive" stuff isn't always functional to its intended purpose... well, not for the most part that I have seen. I haven't even used it all that much and I am left scratching my head how anyone could get even remotely winded doing some of these things.

Really? Hell I figured they would at least make you brake a sweat, if anything. Well, I guess it wouldn't be worth anybody's time then. And come to think of it, I always enjoyed the outdoors, mainly the hiking, when I was cub scout - hated the freak'in blue uniforms though. Felt like "little boy blue" for one thing.

^^^Yea, I learned a couple things like honor and duty can give purpose to your life. <sigh> Guess I have fallen far from the mindset of always being on a mission of some sort.

Hell if it wasn't so muddy around here I'd love to be outside right now. Oh and 131 mph winds uprooted a tree northeast of me--it was in the reno gazette journal had it up if you wanna take a look. I like the wind but it don't like me or anyone else as it sleets on your face. It's spring durnit...winter should be over already. :mad:

Archived