Home

how about a combination of mmo and sp?

Master_Chief

They have pretty Clearly stated on several occasions that you can solo the game if you want, now whether they mean until you hit max level, or that there will be enough solo content to keep you involved for years (I doubt) I'm unsure.

I don't mind some group content along the way and at level cap. Even I like to do some dungeons with friends for a few hours. But make sure it's not the only thing to do. Like in WoW, once you hit 80, the only thing left to do is group-heavy dungeons and raids, with a few daily quests here and there that themselves serve mainly to get you rep to gear yourself up for said dungeons and raids. Maybe BioWare could assure us that our storylines don't reach their conclusion immediately at level cap. It's nice to run through storylines without having to worry about more level-ups, so you can tweak your spec and rotation and such.

Well I love SWG's world pvp, even the Restuss stuff, and SWG still has a ton of solo content. Like go to level cap, then form a merchant empire. Plus the best pilots in space can solo anything; I've seen guides on how to solo the Corvettes and Star Destroyer. SWG only started added the group-focused dungeons in the past few years when they brought back the Village and added Heroics Encounters.

Well I love SWG's world pvp, even the Restuss stuff, and SWG still has a ton of solo content. Like go to level cap, then form a merchant empire. Plus the best pilots in space can solo anything; I've seen guides on how to solo the Corvettes and Star Destroyer. SWG only started added the group-focused dungeons in the past few years when they brought back the Village and added Heroics Encounters.

As a SWG pilot, I tell people.. If ya can't solo a Vette, ya ain't really an ace... Sure there's a trick to it. And if ya screw up, you're gettin yer backside hauled to a space station. On about my fourth character getting Master Pilot, there was a group in a YT that had more difficulty taking out a vette than I did. Once you figure it out the first time it becomes second nature. Gun 5 so her belly is exposed, proton IV the Shield, and secondary shield, fly back to take out engine, wait for gunboats to pass, couple high speed runs on the reactor, and the bridge is yours. Remember to clean up your mess afterwards and get them gunboats so the vette will spawn faster next time.

Not to mention, it's a HUGE target. I was fully outfitted too. My ship was a beast(well it still is haha I just don't play anymore). It's a heck of a lot easier when I did it as Imperial. The Reb gunboats at the time couldn't fire straight down(dunno if they fixed it yet). I'd just outfit my Oppy with a ton of mk IV's and MISSILES AWAY! But really when it comes down to it, I can make some big boomies. I had a lot of really good RE parts. A few monsters. Though that time I was proving to a friend that an all crafted ship could do it just as well. Scyk heavy.

Turrets got a LOT easier when they added in gimbel correction. Still gotta lead correctly.

This talk really makes me nostalgic and hoping TOR will be able to do anything resembling SWG's space. The NGE-ish-ness of the game makes me think not, but the fact that several producers and devs worked on the original, pre-NGE SWG makes me think there's a good chance. :)

SWG space is good, But I'm unsure as to whether this will even have space, and regarding the old pre-CU-NGE talk, the last thing this dev team will ever reference is SWG, that game is the arsehole of Star Wars and will forever be a stain on its reputation... and thats coming from a 5 year veteran.

I'm sure there will be space. The developers haven't said a single word on how we travel between these dozen or so worlds. They also make a habit of not mentioning anything until it's set in stone and in the game, which means their method of traveling between worlds isn't finished. And what's so hard about a system of instantly traveling between worlds via shuttle(like pre-JtL SWG)? I'd guess that means the "between-planets" part(aka space) is in the works and unfinished. Not to mention they confirmed Space will be in the game in that GamesRadar(or maybe the IGN) interview last July.

I still think the TOR devs could reference SWG. All the people butthurt about the NGE still loved the gameplay systems it had pre-NGE, which includes diverse classes and one of the deepest crafting systems ever seen in an MMO. Darth Hater had a speculative article last year that implies every class will have 2 sub-classes, each with 3 talent trees, effectively giving each new player a potential of 6 different trees to choose from, which sounds very diverse like SWG's. And seriously, if TOR has a crafting system even 1/10th as deep as SWG's, I'd die happy, knowing the crafting won't be half-assed and simple like WoW's. You simply have to give SWG credit for the many things it did right. The only risk is that if TOR emphasized how great pre-NGE was, they'd risk undermining the current NGE SWG, which game developers are never likely to do(insulting other developers).

SWG.... Okay, first off I'll start with I loved it pre-cu. hated it during CU, left at the start of NGE, and bounced back to it a couple times(I have my five piece, some Hoth armor, and a gunboat :D Oh and snazzier duds). NGE, if it had been launched as it's own game and not a forced "upgrade" to SWG, might have been more popular. SWG was already failing, but it had a LOT of good ideas. The initial idea of "if you use your gun you get better at using a gun" was great. a ton of walking... not so great. shuttle waits? mixed bag. Not being able to pick jedi at the start, probably the one thing that led to it's demise(there, I said it). Along with that, the era. That time between ANH and ESB was possibly the worst time period to pick. If anything they should have picked the era prior to ANH, so people could be Jedi, being hunted, and yet not interfere with canon.

Of course that's why Jedi works in TOR. It's in a time before the Jedi purge(and far enough after TSL's purge) when it makes sense to have Jedi running around.

I say if SWG had launched as it is NOW, it might have been a success story, instead of a warning to other MMO developers. People wanted to be Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, and they got Uncle Owen in pre-cu. Now the game has garnered so much hate it's impossible to shake it off.

well Put, the thing with me and SWG is that, its kinda like an old pair of Trainers (Sneakers)

They are Beaten up torn and dirty, they have holes in and smell kinda bad, but they are comfortable and fit sweet, you know they should be thrown away and you should treat yourself to a better new pair, but its just habit. But tOR will break that habit whether its good or not TBH.

• 1 month later...

The trap Bioware can find themselves in with a solo focused MMO is it’s hard to make new friends. Meeting people and forming groups is what keeps people coming back night after night. When a person has no friends left online, there is a good chance they quit as well.

My online friends is what keeps me playing my current MMOs.

Installing and developing new MODs is what keeps me playing solo games.

~Sith Lord Drew

Archived