Home

Oh, For ****'s Sake! (*spoilers*)

I haven't been following the story on the official site, but I decided to take a gander at the article on Wookieepedia today, and this is what I came across:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
After Darth Vader loses his apprentice, he attempts to bring him back by taking his body to Kamino, to have Galen Marek cloned. The Clone escapes Kamino, and begins to suffer from the memories of a life he does not remember living. The Cloned Galen tracks down General Rahm Kota, who is now working for the Rebellion, as well as Juno Eclipse. He also travels to Cato Neimoidia at some point, where he enters a gladiatorial arena. In the arena, the corpse of a Rancor is tossed into the air by a Morloch, which he then proceeds to battle. The clone of Galen also travelled to Dagobah, as was suggested by Rahm Kota.

What the flying fart! Seriously, that's the worst thing I ever heard! In fact, I recall some really noobish fanboy on these forums submitting a theory very similar to this one, and we all laughed at how silly it was. And rightly so!

I wonder if they'll use the Zahn scheme where clones share the name of the original template, only with an extra vowel thrown in (Joruus C'Baoth, Luuke Skywalker). This guy can be Gaalen Marek! Hahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, Heaven help us.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did you want instead? Some asspull explanation for him coming back to life and escaping both Vader and Sidious on the first Death Star?

It may be lame, but it's a lot better than the alternative. If he is indeed a clone, and therefore a different person, then his character can go in different directions than he otherwise would; if he's not the original apprentice, then there's no express need to tie him down with Juno Eclipse baggage (in the same way, at least), and he need not have the same personality or goals, either.

Personally, I saw this coming ever since the teaser, with Vader taunting "the apprentice" believing that he has a purpose (really, how could those lines make any sense unless he's a clone?).

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Not to mention some things you missed was that Kota makes the remark he doesn't believe Starkiller is a clone. So who knows at this point, and everything doesn't happen like that at least from the article I read. He goes to Daggobah because Kota mentions it in passing by mistake, that's it. And he goes to Cato to free Kota.

It seems like the major theme of the second is going to be trying to discover if he is a clone or not and finding his place in the galaxy.

Which doesn't sound bad to me, but your entitled to your opinion.

Decided to hide that first part because it contains spoilers.

What did you want instead? Some asspull explanation for him coming back to life and escaping both Vader and Sidious on the first Death Star?

Well, Shem's simplistic theory was pretty good: Galen goes into a death-like state to full the Sith and comes out of it once the stormtroopers dispose of his body. It was simple, it wasn't cheesy, and it made perfect sense. (Granted, it does somewhat contradict the ending to the novel, where his consciousness is described leaving his body, floating out into space, and then dissolving into the Force; but I could have let that one slide.)

Now it'll be the same thing all over again: you are Darth Vader's secret apprentice who breaks free of his master's clutches and has to decide between forgiveness and revenge. Hell, if they wanted to go with that angle again they could have made Maris Brood the protagonist. I'd imagine that would have been quite any easy and logical choice, wouldn't you agree? Anything would have been better than this.

And what's with the Kamino fan-wanking? How many other cloning outposts exist within the Star Wars universe? Tons!

I would think it highly unlikely that he would be able to fool two of the most powerful Sith in recent sw history...but that is simply my opinion.

At any rate, the clone thing was really the only logical route they could go. Secondly, I'm not going rant and rave until I get a more reliable source than wookieepedia, and I probably won't rant and rave period until I play the game and have a chance for a first hand evaluation. Until then I would only be full of sound and fury signifying nothing :)

I can tell you right now that this game is going to strike out with its new story. It's too bad I wasn't on the development team. I guarantee my version would be way more successful.

Want to know why? The fans of the game grew attached to the character of Starkiller. Putting someone else in his place who really isn't him is going to turn people off. That right there will probably seal its fate.

People are more going to play the game for the action rather than the story which will kill the game's quality in the long run. I'm sure they're trying to make up for it by allowing him to wield dual lightsabers to try to make the game more attractive along with some new Force Powers, etc, but nothing will be able to make up for the loss of story, especially when you're expected the audience to get on board with a character that really isn't the character people fell in love with.

The developers should have been smart enough to know this from the start. Oh, well, another development team that will learn the hard way unless that have figured out a way for us to fall in love with the new character.

Oh, so now they're going to kill this character at the end as well. :rolleyes:

And if they think bringing in Yoda is going to help make this game cooler, they're sadly mistaken.

Now it'll be the same thing all over again: you are Darth Vader's secret apprentice who breaks free of his master's clutches

What little we know seems to indicate that this happens much earlier in the plot.

Hell, if they wanted to go with that angle again they could have made Maris Brood the protagonist. I'd imagine that would have been quite any easy and logical choice, wouldn't you agree?

No. Maris has no need to appear in the EU ever again, unless it's finding her corpse in a cell somewhere.

get on board with a character that really isn't the character people fell in love with.

Who "fell in love with" the apprentice so badly?

My Problem is that Cloning him, has created another Force messiah... I mean I'm not a fan of Midichlorians, but this makes the Force even less mystical than TPM did, If you can just Clone a jedi, why not make a Jedi Army, Just crap IMO... Not that I expected a much better explanation for his appearance in TFU II, oh well, another facepalm for Lucas and co.

I can tell you right now that this game is going to strike out with its new story. It's too bad I wasn't on the development team. I guarantee my version would be way more successful.

Want to know why? The fans of the game grew attached to the character of Starkiller. Putting someone else in his place who really isn't him is going to turn people off. That right there will probably seal its fate.

People are more going to play the game for the action rather than the story which will kill the game's quality in the long run. I'm sure they're trying to make up for it by allowing him to wield dual lightsabers to try to make the game more attractive along with some new Force Powers, etc, but nothing will be able to make up for the loss of story, especially when you're expected the audience to get on board with a character that really isn't the character people fell in love with.

The developers should have been smart enough to know this from the start. Oh, well, another development team that will learn the hard way unless that have figured out a way for us to fall in love with the new character.

Oh, so now they're going to kill this character at the end as well. :rolleyes:

And if they think bringing in Yoda is going to help make this game cooler, they're sadly mistaken.

You my friend are the ONLY person I know or even heard of (I'm not counting the creators) who actually really likes Starkiller. And the story in the first one was lacking so I don't see how creating a likable character and a good plot line would kill the game's quality.

:raise:

You my friend are the ONLY person I know or even heard of (I'm not counting the creators) who actually really likes Starkiller. And the story in the first one was lacking so I don't see how creating a likable character and a good plot line would kill the game's quality.

To like a story, you have to like the main character. If you dislike the main character, the story loses much of its appeal.

So based on that logic, how in the world did this game win awards for its story tellling?

Think about that. ;)

No. Maris has no need to appear in the EU ever again, unless it's finding her corpse in a cell somewhere.

Here is an example of what a game with Maris would fail. Not many people would fall in love with the character, including me. You have to see yourself in a character in order for it to be successful and that will pave a path to like a story.

Who "fell in love with" the apprentice so badly?

This isn't a sexual love thing you know. ;)

My Problem is that Cloning him, has created another Force messiah... I mean I'm not a fan of Midichlorians, but this makes the Force even less mystical than TPM did, If you can just Clone a jedi, why not make a Jedi Army, Just crap IMO... Not that I expected a much better explanation for his appearance in TFU II, oh well, another facepalm for Lucas and co.

That was the thing. Making a successful Jedi clone always failed according to the story of TFU II, etc. I think that was brought up in the AOTC novel, but it's been 8 years since I've read it so I can't be certain.

Anyway, I don't like how they're all of a sudden rewriting the rules. It was considered a great achievement to grow a clone successfully in half the time it would be for a normal human being and now they can do it within weeks or months? On top of it, a Jedi now? :rolleyes:

well, he won the "best star wars character" competiton on wookiepedia in 2008:)

well, he won the "best star wars character" competiton on wookiepedia in 2008:)

Well blind masses will vote anything promoted at the time. I could be wrong though. I'm actually glad to see someone is glad he's back because I'm just f****** pissed! :¬:

Well blind masses will vote anything promoted at the time. I could be wrong though. I'm actually glad to see someone is glad he's back because I'm just f****** pissed! :¬:

It is what it is, I will still play it, you probably will still play it. It's a video game dude, if you want in depth story telling go see a movie. I hate when people have nothing to do but spend their days complaining on the internet about a Star Wars Video Game's storyline. Where were you when they put out Republic Heroes? Many, many, many worse games out there. It's a very simple eqaution.

Palpatine= Raw Power

Starkiller= Still an apprentice

Palpatine-Starkiller=Palpatine

They would've known if he survived dude. They can't keep pulling the same trick out; "Oh wait Starkiller was Stabbed by a lightsaber, thrown around a room, then thrown out to space and survived. A straight duel with the Emperor in the equation and he still survives? No.

I also have a theory (which by default means that there's a 95% chance that I'm wrong, but anyway): Could it be that Galen (Gaalen? ;)) has reason to believe he may not be a clone because the original Galen managed to transfer his spirit into one of the clones, and therefore be sort of reincarnated? It could explain why all of the other clones before him lost their minds.

They also mentioned that they were partially influenced by Dark Empire.

The thing is the writers are passing this clone off or talking about it as if he's really Starkiller and not a clone. Like how he's older and more mature, etc. It's almost as if they're either talking themselves into it's really him, or it's hint to a major twist in terms that he really isn't a clone and somehow was brought back to life.

I'll stick to they're trying to talk themselves into thinking it's really him. ;)

Thia game's gameplay better make up for a horrible story. WHY COULDN'T THEY HAVE CHOSEN DARTH MAUL INSTEAD?!

Seriously? You may as well ask why they didn't choose to try and clone Revan or Darth Bane, probably because them like Maul would really have no place in this story and his appearance in TFU II would be pure fan service (like in the infinities and tales comics) not to mention it seems very irrelevant for Vader or any organization in TFU to feel to want to travel to Naboo just to scoop up Maul's remains to use him again.

Archived