Home

Question about altering dialogue in a mod.

Darth GSJ

I'm interested in cleaning up some of the dialogue in a particular mod. Being an amateur writer I'm rather anal about this stuff. Problem is I've never modded anything in my life, have little to no programming or scripting experience and am completely lost when tinkering around in Kotor Tool. I've read many of the help topics on Kotor Tool and even read some of the step by step instructions. It's still greek to me, goes way over my head.

Primary question I have is this. Where is the dialogue at in the mod, which mod file do I have to open to alter it? Second, how do I open it and is there any special way I have to save the file before overwriting the old one in my override?

If you can help me with this one, I'd be greatly appreciative.

Modifying a dialog isn't too difficult..you can do it. You have KotorTool..good. Get yourself a dialog editor program..I use dlgeditor_232. Check under the tools tutorial..there should be links for different software.

Within KotorTool...the dialogs are listed under ERFs..open that..then open the Modules tab under ERFs..you will get the entire list of the modules_dlg.erf files. Open the module where your desired dialog is, it may take a little searching to find the one you want. Once you find it, hit the Extract button on the right to send your dialog file to your new work file.

Once it is there...open it with your dlgeditor software of your choosing. Do the work, and save it under the same name to the Overide file for the game of your choosing. That's pretty much it.

Did what you said, and spent an entire night working on the dlg file. Wow, I must say the experience was along the lines of teaching chimps advanced algebra. But by morning I had a working mod finished and completed without ever having 'modded' before. As far as mods go it's just a tiny thing, but it might as well be an advanced college degree for me.

Archived