Home

Russia's Victory Day Parade

Astor

Over the weekend the world celebrated the 65th anniversary of the defeat of Nazi Germany by the Allied forces. Ceremonies were held all over the world to commemorate the event, but none could possibly compare with Russia's awe-inspiring Victory Day parade, which, for the first time, saw British, American and French troops march across Red Square (it's probably the first time red-coated British soldiers have been seen in Russia since the Crimea :p).

If you haven't seen it, here are some pictures -

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Honour Guard with the flag of Victory

2010_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade-1.jpeg

Men of 2nd Battalion, 18th Infantry Regiment

2010_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade-6.jpeg

Polish Military Contingent

2010_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade-28.jpeg

2nd Company, Welsh Guards

2010_Moscow_Victory_Day_Parade-30.jpeg

You can also watch the whole parade on the Kremlin's Website, or on

. Watching it also reminds you how awesome Russian martial music is. :D

EDIT: There's also a gallery with more pictures on the Kremlin website.

Somebody please give me a wiki article about those hats the Welsh are wearing. Their straps don't even go down to the chins!

They do in theory go down to the chin, but in practice (and no doubt influenced by some tradition) they are worn just above it, although I have seen some of the Guards wearing the strap almost on the chin.

I can't explain why, as I really don't know myself.

Somebody please give me a wiki article about those hats the Welsh are wearing. Their straps don't even go down to the chins!
They do in theory go down to the chin, but in practice (and no doubt influenced by some tradition) they are worn just above it, although I have seen some of the Guards wearing the strap almost on the chin.

I can't explain why, as I really don't know myself.

To cure mouth-diaré o_Q

I'm surprised they let the rest of the allies participate. Victory day has always been about how great Russia is despite the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact, human rights abuses like you wouldn't believe, and making the world miserable everyday. It's the biggest secular holiday in Russia, and kind of alarming really.

Archived