Home

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Sabretooth

I wonder if there'll be any running around and shooting at stuff involved?

I hear they are following up closely with a White Ops variant - Where you can sneak around the world as a bank CEO loaning trillions to countries who can never pay it back ;)

mtfbwya

I hear they are following up closely with a White Ops variant - Where you can sneak around the world as a bank CEO loaning trillions to countries who can never pay it back ;)

Pink Ops has also been announced, but no details so far. Activision is reported as saying that it will "take the Call of Duty franchise to places it has never seen before."

I wonder if there'll be any running around and shooting at stuff involved?

mtfbwya

No no no Astro...that wouldn't make you a bank CEO...the would make you the United States government :D

So what would that be? You run around the world stealing Barbies with secret codes printed on their underwear?

Well if it's a Barbie game, make sure there are horses involved, it will be very popular :thmbup1:

Pink Ops has also been announced, but no details so far. Activision is reported as saying that it will "take the Call of Duty franchise to places it has never seen before"

I think it went there long ago sabrez.

mtfbwya

At least this one will have dedicated servers, dunno why the **** MW2 didn't have them, reason I didn't buy the game. I find it funny that you all have so much fun feeling cool about dishing on the CoD franchise when it has been hands down the best FPS franchise for the past decade or so. True enough that the Treyarch versions are usually of less quality than the IW ones and IW is for all intents and purposes defunct. It's still funny that CoD has reached the same "cool to hate" status as Haloz.

At least this one will have dedicated servers, dunno why the **** MW2 didn't have them, reason I didn't buy the game. I find it funny that you all have so much fun feeling cool about dishing on the CoD franchise when it has been hands down the best FPS franchise for the past decade or so. True enough that the Treyarch versions are usually of less quality than the IW ones and IW is for all intents and purposes defunct. It's still funny that CoD has reached the same "cool to hate" status as Haloz.

You tell 'em, Mav.

When CoD4 came out, everyone was jumping out their seats and bowing to the game. CoD5 made people go 'meh, it's good', and CoD6 became the hate-game, partly because of the no dedicated servers, partly because it was the most successful game in history.

And now when CoD7 is trying to fix all of that and bring the game on par with, or surpassing rival titles like Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2, everyone wants CoD to die in a grave.

You tell 'em, Mav.

When CoD4 came out, everyone was jumping out their seats and bowing to the game. CoD5 made people go 'meh, it's good', and CoD6 became the hate-game, partly because of the no dedicated servers, partly because it was the most successful game in history.

And now when CoD7 is trying to fix all of that and bring the game on par with, or surpassing rival titles like Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2, everyone wants CoD to die in a grave.

Personal opinion, and it may be shared by some or it may not...but I find Bad Company 2 to be superior in presentation in both single and multiplayer to both Modern Warfare games and would say that Treyarch has got some work to do if they wish to be on par with or surpass that title imho.

That said, I don't want to see the CoD franchise die...I just feel like Activision is in the process of running it into the ground through their actions. Maybe Treyarch has something that will blow us all out of the water and I hope that's the case as even though I feel Bad Company 2 to be a better game I still really enjoyed playing most of the CoD games.

As far as Black Ops goes obviously more info is needed before a judgment can be made and I will likely play the game at some point. I'm not sure I'll run out and buy it on release day, but even if it comes out and bombs (which I doubt) I will probably still pick it up just to see what Treyarch can do.

Personal opinion, and it may be shared by some or it may not...but I find Bad Company 2 to be superior in presentation in both single and multiplayer to both Modern Warfare games and would say that Treyarch has got some work to do if they wish to be on par with or surpass that title imho.

That said, I don't want to see the CoD franchise die...I just feel like Activision is in the process of running it into the ground through their actions. Maybe Treyarch has something that will blow us all out of the water and I hope that's the case as even though I feel Bad Company 2 to be a better game I still really enjoyed playing most of the CoD games.

As far as Black Ops goes obviously more info is needed before a judgment can be made and I will likely play the game at some point. I'm not sure I'll run out and buy it on release day, but even if it comes out and bombs (which I doubt) I will probably still pick it up just to see what Treyarch can do.

I find Call of Duty's single-player mode far superior to that of Bad Company. I couldn't even finish the campaign in the first Bad Company it was just horrendous. BC2 was much better, but I still find the Call of Duty SP experience to be far superior at least in gameplay, both the stories for both games SP campaigns were awful, at least for MW2 and BC/BC2. I don't really consider CoD 1-3 as having stories either, since they were WWII historically based.

As far as MP goes though, I've always preferred the Battlefield series than any other FPS game barring 4 player split-screen GoldenEye 64. I will shamefully admit that at one point I was in the top 100 on the overall leaderboard for Battlefield 2142. That being said, I think Bad Company's MP has taken a few steps backward from BF2, but I would have to attribute that to the fact that it's being developed for consoles now and now specifically for the PC gamer.

Both franchises have their pros and cons but overall CoD is the more well-rounded game, it has far superior SP and it's MP is pretty top-notch. I actually think that CoD and BF cater to 2 completely different styles of MP. CoD is that traditional Counter-Strike in-your-face, twitch-based shooter and BF is more of a strategic shooter it has a much slower pace to the game. I enjoy both. So while Activision makes a complete ass of itself, it's pretty silly to shun arguably the best FPS franchise of the last decade.

Edit: New Trailer

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I'm unimpressed that they put the crash-through-window scene in the first trailer - rappelling off walls is something we've done in both MW games...

The graphics look strangely old at some scenes and strikingly good at others (sweat, animations on the Vietnamese soldiers, the helicopter scenes).

That one scene where the heli goes haywire and you crash into a building looked cool.

At one point, the crossbow shoots some sort of a green designator on a soldier that explodes after a while. Don't know what that is, but it should be a nifty new addition in multiplayer - a safer, more compact replacement for a rocket-launcher, that comes silenced to boot.

Ah, and the mystery-packed ending where we are left to wonder where these fine men are jumping off to. I'm guessing it's Disneyland.

I'm unimpressed that they put the crash-through-window scene in the first trailer - rappelling off walls is something we've done in both MW games...

The graphics look strangely old at some scenes and strikingly good at others (sweat, animations on the Vietnamese soldiers, the helicopter scenes).

That one scene where the heli goes haywire and you crash into a building looked cool.

At one point, the crossbow shoots some sort of a green designator on a soldier that explodes after a while. Don't know what that is, but it should be a nifty new addition in multiplayer - a safer, more compact replacement for a rocket-launcher, that comes silenced to boot.

Ah, and the mystery-packed ending where we are left to wonder where these fine men are jumping off to. I'm guessing it's Disneyland.

I was actually thinking the same thing about the graphics, some of it looks dated and then some of it looked pretty much on par with stuff now, maybe it's a mix of scenes from throughout the development process. I think the funniest thing is that Microsoft (I assume) paid to have the 360 logo at the end, everybody already knows that it will be on every viable platform anyway...

I started on Modern Warfare I, loved it. I then played the second game and loved the single player, but the multiplayer is the worst gaming experience I have ever had.

I am not impressed by the trailer. A lot of explosions and saying that the world is not a nice place does not impress me.

Just saw the trailer. I've got to say, I've been increasingly disliking where the series is going. That is to say, I'm infinitely glad we're done with World War II, but the utter lack of depth in these games has me blehing.

Of course, the previous ones were not much better, but at least they feigned the idea that you and your squad were like a family, with the bickering and the remarks and everything in between. Now, squad mates drop like flies, have little-to-no backstory, and are flat as cardboard.

At any rate, the most interesting parts of the trailer involved helicopters, which I doubt will make up even a fraction of gameplay time.

^^

Well it's supposedly set in the "Cold War Era" which I've assumed means it covers a lot of ground historically, i.e. from Vietnam up to the Present. It's too soon to say whether or not I'll get this, but them having dedicated servers gets them one step closer to having me buy the game than MW2 did.

Aww, we're going to fly an Apache and take down Hinds. Why can't it be the other way round? Hinds are way cooler and badass than silly Apaches.

Anyone else notice that art-wise, Treyarch is going for a high-contrast, rusty feel to the game instead of MW2's slick and shine?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived