Home

Cult Film Dissection 101

Darth Groovy

Cool thread Grooves ;)

No cult film thread is complete without a mention of David Lynch.

I saw this on TV when I was 9, and it totally changed my life. Many years later I saw the proper version on DVD in its original anamorphic format. Amazing.

BVelvet.jpg

mtfbwya

Love the Big Lebowski. Fargo is good, subtle black humor, but Lebowski just kills me. Everything in the whole movie is hilarious (sans donnie :( ). It's almost subversive (I had the same effect with Altman's The Long Goodbye) in that I saw it once and went "meh", and then caught part of it a 2nd time on TV or somewhere and noticed funny things I didn't notice before. By the 3rd time I found it downright hilarious and I've prob watched it 8-10 times now :p

Blue Velvet is amazing just because it's in the David Lynch tradition of mind****s.

As far as Boondock Saints goes, as much as I enjoy it, I can see where people would criticize it. Its sequel epitomizes the series' attempts to be "cool."

I'm paraphrasing here, but the review of Boondock Saints 2 that I enjoyed the most (and what I think holds true for the first) is: "Boondock Sainst 2 takes us back to the wonderful time of 1999, when every third director thought he was the next Quentin Tarentino.

And as an anecdote, a creative writing professor tasked his students with creating a story where there were no guns. All the guys failed. The point: What makes Tarentino films memorable is the dialogue.

May I recommend "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" as the next film topic? :D :D :D

You got it bubba. This is a film I cannot stand. From what I know, it is one of those things that is so bad, you are supposed to love it. At any rate, the whole thing was always just too gay for me to handle. Sorry if I don't get the joke here.

Anyways please discus the following and why we are supposed to love it please!

st3391rocky-horror-picture-show-posters.jpg

You got it bubba. This is a film I cannot stand. From what I know, it is one of those things that is so bad, you are supposed to love it. At any rate, the whole thing was always just too gay for me to handle. Sorry if I don't get the joke here.

Anyways please discus the following and why we are supposed to love it please!

RHPS was never meant to be "watched".

Releasing it on DVD/tape was the worst thing they could've ever done to it to be honest, imo. The "live" showings, where you actually dress-up/participate along with the movie (and sometimes local stage cast/players) is where the cult following originated from ;)

They still run RHPS live shows about 10 miles down the road from where I live, every Friday night at a local bijou theatre. Some good times to be had there when you're in the mood. That, and the girls there are usually.. DAMN! :naughty:

Never seen it, however a coworker of my moms at Petsmart is flaming gay and him and his husband both do drag, including bi-weekly productions of The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

He's invited us several times, but I have to be 21 first >.> <.<

• 1 month later...

Archived