Home

Dirt Nap poster

cplhenshaw

I recently noticed this poster in Grim Fandango that I had completely forgotten about and decided it was pretty cool. I guess it's a poster for a band that the florist likes?

From a cutscene.

Anyway I downloaded Inkscape and had a go at tracing over the poster over the course of the week. The result is certainly not perfect but is probably close enough for my liking. :)

Dirt Nap

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Now, how about the Blue Casket poster? :thmbup1:

This was another cool poster so I started on it pretty quickly but it was overall a bit harder and so it got put to the side for a while. Ultimately I had to leave out most of the shading because I just couldn't do it.

Blue Casket Ingame

Blue Casket Poster

For best viewing I recommend pasting it to the wall of a dimly lit poetry club and tearing the edges a bit.

There's one more very good image in the game, and that's the fresco on the ceiling of Domino's office of a woman holding a bird, or cupping a bird in flight...it's hard to tell. But only someone trying to wreck their sanity would try to reproduce it, I think, because only about half of it (maybe) can be seen from either end of the office and the view angles are very skewed. Somewhere in the bowels of LucasArts there has to be original artwork for that ceiling. There's probably no chance of it ever seeing the light of day.

Here is a rough piecing together of the image from ingame (a bit dark)

Reconstructed Fresco

There is a sliver missing so I had to guess what was going on in the missing collarbone / neck region.

Domino's Fresco

Also in the actual image everything is kind of transparent allowing the background squares to show through but I honestly didnt't find that very appealing.

As for the content of the image it kind of looks as though she is listening to a messenger pigeon which is maybe where Salvador got his idea from.

There's a tool in GIMP (another free image editor) called the perspective correction tool which lets you select part of the image and drag all the corners independently of the others. This lets you distort the selection as though it were at an angle or "restretch" the image by eye until all the edges are square and it looks as though you are head on.

Aside: If you think that sort of thing is cool check out Getting into the picture

Once painters started using perspective they were actually encoding distances from their eye into their works. The result is that the layout of the scenes can be partially reconstructucted and there are a few movies on that page (1/4 down and 3/4 down the page) where they fly through famous paintings.

I actually tried to do that on the fresco parts in Gimp once. I could never get it right, probably because I'm a bad judge of perspective (which is probably why I gave up trying to draw when I was young because everything came out looking like a bad Medieval painting).

Archived