Home

Craig Venter creates synthetic life

Salzella

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10132762.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2010/may/20/craig-venter-synthetic-life-form

now that's intelligent design, religious people.

the only worry is that this dude doesn't seem to be the most savoury of pioneering scientists - one should not be able to patent the building blocks of life.

still ****ing cool though.

Yeah, no kidding, Pho3nix. The potential for positive use is tremendous. The potential for misuse is terrifying.

I see what you mean. On one hand, it could revolutionise medical science, but on the other hand, it could become the ultimate bio-weapon.

On the one hand Synthplas/synth flesh (no pun intended...skywalkers) On the other hand, there are so many variables in the code it would take a looooong time to make something fully compatible with the human body.

Intelligent design by people, it may be. However, it will take a lot more than just this to convince the faithful that their faith is misplaced (if that's your intent).

Still, this is an amazing discovery. I remember hearing about the bionic white bloodcell which successfully defended itself from invading diseases and even killing a live HIV virus in the lab. That ended up not being feasible or cost effective, unfortunately.

Still, it'd be great to be able to go the next level up from plastic surgery.

Does anyone besides me not classify this as life?

I classify it as life, but not created life. The cell that received the new DNA was already living--they just switched out the DNA. It's kind of slicing the definition thinly, but there it is.

But its not actual LIFE. They simply altered an already existing cell with synthetics.

I agree with urluckyday, it's not life!

EDIT: Although I do see your point as well, it is not created life. But from what I understand they were implying that they created it.

I can definitely see the immense potential for Dr. Venter's techniques particularly in the medical field and as has been mentioned the potential for danger is immense as well. Even with regulations there is always someone willing to break them, the "mad scientist" if you will.

I'm going to roll with Jae's statement on the question of life though I'm sure Dr. Venter would disagree.

Archived