Home

IGN's The Best Star Wars Games Ever Made

leXX

TPM was not that bad. In fact, it's not a bad game at all. It suffers from a somewhat excessive over the head camera angle, but other than that, it's a fine game.

Dude, I played that game when I was 9 or 10... Do you have any idea how frustrating a game like that is? Where not only is the gameplay horrible, but you get stuck and lost for hours at a time. Getting lost in the Trade Federation Ship, getting lost in the forest level, getting lost in the underwater city, getting lost in Theed, getting stuck and killed on Tatooine, getting killed on Theed again, getting killed in the palace, then the ending.

I'd rather slam my nuts in a car door than play TPM ever again.

Count me in.

Also, as a supplementary to all this SW game talk, this is a great video series that covers nearly every single one of them made in a great VH1 Behind the Music-esqe way. http://www.gametrailers.com/game/the-star-wars-retrospective/6389

Dude, I played that game when I was 9 or 10... Do you have any idea how frustrating a game like that is?

No. I was around 10 back then too, and I loved the game. It was not frustating at all, except on Tatooine, because you didn't knew to which people you should talk in order to get the podracer parts. But still, the fact that there were so many people on Mos Espa that you could talk, offered you many interesting side quests.

Where not only is the gameplay horrible, but you get stuck and lost for hours at a time.

The gameplay was good, as it was easy to play. The fact that you got lost so many times doesn't make the game bad (I guess it's the first time I hear someone getting lost so many times), as the fact that I like the game doesn't make it good. But overall, the game doesn't belong to the "bad Star Wars games" list, neither to the "good". It was an okay game. 6.5/10

However, it still belongs to my TOP10 Star Wars games (in no particular order):

1. Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

2. Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

3. Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire

4. Star Wars: Battlefront II

5. Star Wars: Star Wars: Battlefront

6. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

7. Star Wars: Battlefront

8. Star Wars: Starfighter

9. Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast

10. Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (+ MotS)

Yes, no KotOR.

Shadows of the empire was awesome.

X-wing alliance? I thought it was awesome :(

Agreed.

It should be on the list rather than XWv.TF... which was the weakest of the X-Wing titles.

Though I have no issues with Tie Fighter taking the top slot. :D

Edit: Dark Forces isn't on there either. I guess it's fair to pick one from the Jedi Knight series to represent it as a whole, as they're all pretty good. Jedi Outcast seems like a good choice.

Seems like a bit of an oversight to me. As someone pointed out, a lot of "flying" games on there for a top 10 list. DF is the main reason I ever ended up playing any of these games in the first place. Frankly, I'd rather play KOTOR again for the umpteenth time than pick up Lego Star Wars.

*Mouses with back and forward buttons on it are great, until you accidentally hit them and lose all your typing progress because you're in quick post mode*

My personal favorites list:

1) JK2: Jedi Outcast (PC)

2) DF2: Jedi Knight (PC)

3) Rogue Squadron (PC)

4) Dark Forces (PC)

5) Knights of the Old Republic (Xbox)

6) Episode I Racer (PC)

7) TIE Fighter / X-Wing (PC)

8) Galactic Battlegrounds (PC)

9) Rebel Assault 2 (PC)

10) Err...

Yeah, sure, there were more games I've played. But I don't think playing the full version of TFU for 90 minutes counts. The Battle for Naboo was a buggy piece of ****. The The Phantom Menace game is nothing more than a terrible memory. The LEGO games didn't rub me the right way. I barely touched Battlefront II. Never played Jedi Academy other than the time I torrented it in 2007 and played two levels (I know, terrible, right?). I managed to get my ass kicked on the tutorial levels in Empire at War. I played only a little bit of Commando.

I list TIE Fighter and X-Wing in the same spot because the only real difference was the story, right? Well, when I was 6 or 7, all I cared about was shooting stuff and changing the fire pattern on the B-Wing. And thinking more of it, I'm not entirely sure if we ever had TIE Fighter, but we certainly had X-Wing, for some reason the interior of the A-Wing shall always be burned into my mind.

th_awing.jpg

Also, best box art, ever (as a kid)

279971-starwars.jpg

All the Star Wars games: http://www.giantbomb.com/star-wars/62-551/games/?

Seeing as I've never played TIE Fighter *ducks* I'd have to say that KotOR is the best Star Wars game.

TSL doesn't exist to me because of how much of a cockslap the incompleteness of it all was.

Same situation here.

For me the list goes:

1. KotOR

2. JO

3. SWGB/SWGBCC

4. SWRC

5. SWBF/SWBF II

6. RS

7. SotE

8. TPM

I sadly never played any of the older JK games, nor the X-wing/TIE Fighter games. Or the Rebel Assaults.

TSL was awful - I didn't even try to finish it. JA was a shinier version of JO with a ****ty story. EaW was garbage. TFU was a letdown.

Frankly, LucasArts is one of the worst gaming companies at the moment. HORRIBLE games in the last few years. SWBF/SWBF II were barely acceptable to be listed as "good" in my books (regardless for how many maps I made for them).

- PR-0927

Never got the chance to play it, but I must have finished the Indiana Jones counterpart about 10 times.

how have you been dude?

I have fond memories from TPM, possibly because I was a kid at the time that would eat up anything Star Wars related, no matter how ****ty it might have been. I would not want to revisit it today and ruin my memories of shooting gigantic Jawas with laser hand-cannons.

aaand I think that's one adjective too many.

No such thing.

Actually, I never got to play TIE Fighter. I played X-Wing and X-Wing vs TIE Fighter. I dunno, flying around in TIEs always seemed like a drawn out way to commit suicide. I mean, seriously - why fly around in an unshielded POS when an A-Wing fits the bill better than any TIE in the Navy.

Although I did once drop a Mon Cal cruiser using a TIE Interceptor. 1 life, no lies. It took about 3 hours.

Seems like a bit of an oversight to me. As someone pointed out, a lot of "flying" games on there for a top 10 list. DF is the main reason I ever ended up playing any of these games in the first place. Frankly, I'd rather play KOTOR again for the umpteenth time than pick up Lego Star Wars.

("flying games") Yep, one too freak'in many of them on that list.

And I kept falling asleep playing Lego Stars Wars, was daydreaming every other minute, man that game was about as entertaining as watching someone pee their name in the dry dirt.

Personally, my list would go something like this...

1. SW Rebellion (an oldie, but goodie)

2. JK Dark Forces

3. JK Dark Forces II

2. JK:JO

5. JKA

6. Kotor

All PC games.

I absolutely adored Jedi Power Battles when I was a kid. I probably rented it enough to have bought it 3 or 4 times over.

Sure, looking back its probably not nearly as "good" of a game as any of the others, but damn, it was fun to play.

Archived