Home

Never eat yellow snow...Hoth revealed

Ztalker

Videogamer.com was invited for a hand-on preview of the Hoth quest hub for Star Wars: The Old Republic

Linkie:

http://www.videogamer.com/pc/star_wars_the_old_republic/preview-2368.html

I don't know if this planet should be here. Of course Hoth rocks, but mostly because of the TESB movie scenes. What Old Republic Jedi have to do there? No idea.

Thoughts?

EDIT: Just saw the article also mentions a new species. Rattataki!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The author of the article doesn't seem very impressed at this point with what Bioware has put forth. Having not seen what he has seen I can't really make an informed judgment but Bioware does seem to be scant on the details although we may see much more at the coming E3.

As far as Hoth is concerned I don't have a huge problem with it. It would be logical to assume that Hoth was known prior to the Rebel Alliance using it as a base just like Anchorhead on Tatooine had been settled abandoned and resettled several times. (KOTOR 1). Not only that but Hoth is one of those iconic SW locations that if I were Bioware I'd say "we've got to stick this in somewhere."

I actually fell asleep when I read the update, hit my face on the floor and chipped a tooth... and it didn't hurt as much as this update lol, what an unimaginative excuse for a planet.

Serves a great purpose as an unassuming barren waste land to hide a rebel base, they then leave and get onto the main story, the End. What is the point of this Planet other than to grab the attention of anyone who's ever seen ESB

I don't get your point dude, I'm just saying lol, It's bad enough that I dislike some of what Bioware are doing, never mind being repeatedly punched in the side of the head by people defending they're honor lol. I don't think its a good Idea, thats my Opinion, I'm sorry if my first thought isn't "Oh well they are trying :):)" this is a forum to Discuss what we think of the upcoming MMO from Bioware/Lucasarts... That was my Opinion.

Does there need to be another reason? yes lol, being interesting to play for one, original maybe, something.

That's fine - not trying to defend anyone's honor. I guess I just don't expect every detail of TOR to be totally groundbreaking. There is going to be some stuff that's just there to be there, and Hoth seems like it falls in that category. It appeals to OT fans. I'm ok with that.

And I fully accept that and actually respect your Opinion. I just want the best for an Old Republic era game, its the last Credible era in my opinion now, I don't want it to go down the pan and be just another cash cow generic franchise. and with regards to OT fans, I'm 110% an original OT fan, but I would prefer new ideas and locales.

I agree with you - I would also prefer new ideas and locales. However, if a certain locale or era is going to get a nod, I think the OT is the best choice.

Perhaps I'm just being too optimistic, but from what I've seen thus far, there's a lot to be excited about in TOR that's new and unique to the era. Nods here and there don't detract from that for me.

I understand the need to grab the attention of those who don't know much about the OR Era but they could have chosen a lot better spots that wouldn't seem so random.

If they wanted a icy planet they could of chose idk Rhen Var which would make more sense for a battle ground for its Jedi ruins scattered around and buried beneath the ice.

Perhaps, but we already have Jedi ruins on Tython, Coruscant, and Dantooine. Jedi ruins are cool with me, but I don't necessarily need more.

My only problem with Hoth is that I thought it got it's name from Jedi Master Hoth from the Bane era, but this would certainly indicate it was called Hoth long before Jedi Hoth existed. Maybe he was named after the planet, not vice versa.

IMO the only reason to include Hoth would be to give a nod to ESB, and I don't think Rhen Var would have accomplished that. Some people have an issue with that being the purpose of the planet, which I understand - just disagree with.

I don't mind seeing planets that played a big part in the movies, as long as they make sense. Planets like Coruscant and Alderaan have remained important for millennia for various reasons, even Tatooine I can understand. But Hoth seems like the planet in the unknown regions of the galaxy that no one knew or cared about until the Rebels found it and planted a base there.

When I look at how it's involved in this from the description, it doesn't make much sense. A planet unworthy of protecting, it just happens to be the place where Republic and Sith fleets accidentally meet. And it's importance during TOR is, in my opinion, dubious. This scrapyard can't be as important as most planets closer to the core and which has people on them.

Another disappointing update.

Not only does it shatter the lore and the enigma that is Hoth, but it does so by putting filler in the planet (this is based off the screenshots) and borrowing unoriginal ideas from already created MMOs (the similarity between the Hoth screenshots and parts of WoW).

What enigma did Hoth ever have? It was never mysterious, it never had any mysteries. It was an icy hellhole with wampas and tauntauns and lots of snow. There was no enigma to shatter. At least now that it's had a huge battle in orbit in the past, that gives a bit of mystery to the world.

And really? You think WoW created snowy zones in MMOs? FFXI has snowy zones that look similar too, and I'm sure EverQuest did too. I know it's hard to take, but WoW was never the first to do ANYTHING. All WoW did was put together the best pre-existing features of MMOs that were on the scene before WoW came out.

*edit* I'll admit that I noticed the icy canyons reminded me of WoW's, but WoW was hardly the first to create such things, so I don't mind at all. There's only a set amount of climates out there that can be done, and eventually you're going to have some similar climates in multiple games. PLUS Hoth came out 30 years ago in ESB, WoW came out 5 years ago. I'd say TOR's Hoth has 25 years of originality ahead of WoW so we should say WoW's zones ripped off ESB's Hoth, not the other way around.

Ugh.. I don't like Hoth. Never seemed much like a good idea. The only things that were good about Hoth were seen in ESB. It's good for a big massive battle with AT-AT's and snow speders, but without the whole empire thing, it just rings hollow. It was supposed to be an insignificant ice ball that had nothing of note. That's why smugglers and the republic used it. It had nothing. So it would be ignored.

Technically there still is an Empire, and ruled by Sith no less. :)

Now Hoth is still an insignificant snowball, except now its only other claim to fame is being the site of a space battle thousands of years ago. Would you say a place has something of note if it had a battle in 1500 BC? How many places on Earth do we remember for having battles 3500 years ago? Having a space battle this far back doesn't mean Hoth is suddenly a busy place. It's less busy than Tatooine, which is supposed to be a nothing world but had major events occur there seemingly every few years.

What enigma did Hoth ever have? It was never mysterious, it never had any mysteries. It was an icy hellhole with wampas and tauntauns and lots of snow. There was no enigma to shatter. At least now that it's had a huge battle in orbit in the past, that gives a bit of mystery to the world.

I disagree. To me, as a child, I always thought of Hoth to be this remote planet where its mystique was in the fact that you don't know what lives on it and where they live. Obviously the EU has ruined that slightly, but still Hoth has remained to be a slightly mysterious planet (not as much as Dagobah however).

And really? You think WoW created snowy zones in MMOs? FFXI has snowy zones that look similar too, and I'm sure EverQuest did too. I know it's hard to take, but WoW was never the first to do ANYTHING. All WoW did was put together the best pre-existing features of MMOs that were on the scene before WoW came out.

*edit* I'll admit that I noticed the icy canyons reminded me of WoW's, but WoW was hardly the first to create such things, so I don't mind at all. There's only a set amount of climates out there that can be done, and eventually you're going to have some similar climates in multiple games. PLUS Hoth came out 30 years ago in ESB, WoW came out 5 years ago. I'd say TOR's Hoth has 25 years of originality ahead of WoW so we should say WoW's zones ripped off ESB's Hoth, not the other way around.

Woa woa, I'm not saying that the that it's a snow zone and because of that it's a rip off of WoW. It has nothing to do with the zone or general idea, it has to do with the fact that the graphics (at least mostly in the screenshots I've seen so far) are very WoW-like.

It's nothing to do with the climate, it's just the fact that the graphics (again, on Hoth) and some of the areas (IE: Ice Caves) remind me very much so of WoW and/or Warhammer.

And don't think I'm a guy that thinks WoW started everything because I know that. I hate WoW, and I've been playing MMOs since before WoW started.

Archived