Home

Movies TO Watch

Why not? We have a thread for the opposite. I had to do it. I'll start off with a big list of my favorites:

Starwars 1-6

LOTR 1-3

Iron Giant

V for Vendetta

Yes Man

Dark Knight

The Godfather

The Fugitive

All of the Star Trek Movies

Now give me some more movies besides the ones I just listed.

These are mostly Westerns, but that's what I like more than other genres -

The Dollars Trilogy

Unforgiven

High Plains Drifter

The Wild Bunch

The Searchers

3.10 to Yuma (either version)

Once Upon a Time in the West

And there's a whole load more.

Some Gangster films -

Donnie Brasco

Goodfellas

Once Upon a Time in America

Also, I haven't finished watching it yet (still don't have the time) but Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace has proved to be an excellent film from the one chapter i've watched so far, although at 8 hours in length it's a bit of a beast.

Astor, no Appaloosa? That was a good movie.

I'm afraid I haven't got round to seeing it yet, although i've been meaning to, as i've heard it was pretty good.

Although, I could go on listing Westerns for pages and pages, so I just picked out some of the more noteworthy ones (or at least, ones I like). :)

EDIT: Dang, forgot Rio Bravo, which inspired many other great films, and is among the favourite films of both Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorcese.

There are so many movies I love, I can't even begin to list all of them. If we're going with Western themes, Unforgiven was a very good movie, probably one of Clint Eastwood's best works in his acting and directing.

Going with what Totenkopf said, Indy 1 and 3 are adventure classics, and Sean Connery really makes the third movie.

Hmmm

Well I have a range of films that I like and say yes watch and most of them are films that my father thinks are stupid even though he never saw them.

Superhero Movie (for laughs)

Temple of Doom

Appealing to my film noir nature and thirties loves:

Sunset Boulevard, The Big Sleep, Paleface, Son of Paleface, Road to Bali

AVP

Congo

If TV counted I would include my DVD colleciton of the series 21 Jumpstreet

Not in any particular order:

Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, The Lion in Winter, any thing by Monty Python but especially the Holy Grail one, The Incredibles, Wall-E, Beauty and the Beast, anything with Katherine Hepburn, Ocean's 11, Tootsie, anything with Dustin Hoffman, A Few Good Men, Schindler's List, Much Ado About Nothing, Out of Africa, Stripes, Jaws, Star Wars IV-VI, any of the Indy movies, ET, Running Scared, White Nights, Princess Bride, and many, many more.

Off the top of my head:

Forrest Gump

American History X

Fight Club

Die Hard 1-4

The Green Mile

Darkness

Se7en and almost anything else with Morgan Freeman

The Manchurian Candidate and almost anything else with Denzel Washington

Phone Booth

Good Luck Chuck

Shutter Island

Dogma

Now for some obscure cinematic achievements...

Anne of the Thousand Days, with Richard Burton and Genevieve Bujold

Camelot, with Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave

Doctor Faustus, with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor

The Name of the Rose, with Sean Connery and F. Murray Abraham

The Stand (miniseries), with Gary Sinise, Molly Ringwald(?), Jamey Sheridan

Bee Season, with Richard Gere and Flora Cross as Eliza

Crime and Punishment, with G. Taratorkin (Russian film)

Cookie's Fortune (dang, I can't remember anybody in it)

The Adventures of Milo and Otis, narrated by Dudley Moore

The Big Broadcast of 1938, starring W.C. Fields and Bob Hope

Equus (with Richard Burton, NOT Harry Potter--er, Daniel Radcliffe)

Unfaithful (dang, I can't remember anybody in it)

Match Point (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!), with Scarlett Johanneson

Searching for Bobby Fischer (with Max Pomeranc as young Josh Waitzkin)

Doctor Zhivago

Gettysburg

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Run Silent Run Deep

The Hunt for Red October

The Highlander series

In the Line of Fire

Tombstone

Most of the James Bond movies (there are a few stinkers but most of them are pretty good imho)

Clear and Present Danger(Clancy book turned flick)

Beverly Hills Cop 1 & 3 (I didn't care for 2 that much)

Blade

I'm afraid I haven't got round to seeing it yet, although i've been meaning to, as i've heard it was pretty good.

Although, I could go on listing Westerns for pages and pages, so I just picked out some of the more noteworthy ones (or at least, ones I like). :)

EDIT: Dang, forgot Rio Bravo, which inspired many other great films, and is among the favourite films of both Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorcese.

Totally random coincidence and fact, but I was at the studio where they filmed that and a lot of other westerns today.

How can I forget the Shawshank Redemption? I should have mentioned that one...

-Lassie

-Some other dog movies I can't remember the names of...

-The Harry Potter Movies are good too, if only because the novels are great.

I've only seen bits and pieces of MP and the Holy Grail. I have got to see that movie, and I'm ashamed that I haven't seen it yet. I've just never gotten the opportunity to get it, though its a top priority on my list.

In no particular order and besides naming the obvious like Star Wars and whatnot:

(Just went through my movie folder and found some of my favorites)

-Michael Clayton

-Dances with Wolves

-Good Night and Good Luck

-12 Angry Men

-Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

-Any Pixar film

-Catch me if you can (Steven Spielberg version)

-Cast Away

-Enemy at the Gates

-K-19 Widowmaker

-The Great Escape

-Training Day

-Good Will Hunting

-Gran Torino

-Valkyrie

-Defiance

-Road to Perdition

-The Majestic

-Crash (must-see...but rent, don't buy)

-Public Enemies

-The good, the bad, and the ugly

-8 Mile

-The Patriot

-The Departed

-Coach Carter

-Appaloosa

-A bridge too far

-Spirited Away

-Hotel Rwanda

-Letters from Iwo Jima

-Last Samurai

-Thirteen Days

-Rear Window

-Dirty Harry

Sorry it's such a long list, but I hope some people like some of those movies on the list!

Some I like are:

Action/Adventure-

• The Transporter
  • Batman Begins
  • The Dark Knight
  • Peter Jackson's King Kong
  • Jet Li's Fearless (foreign)
  • Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
  • Yojimbo (foreign)

Science Fiction-

• Star Wars IV-VI
  • Predator
  • The Underworld 1-3
  • Star Trek The Final Frontier
  • Star Trek The Wrath of Kahn
  • Star Trek Nemesis

Western-

• The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
  • No Country For Old Men[/List]

Drama-
    • The 400 Blows (foreign)
    • Radio
    • The Seventh Seal (foreign)
    • High and Low (foreign)
    • Remember the Titans

Animated-

• Howl's Moving Castle (anime)
    • A Bugs Life
    • Toy Story
    • Cars
    • Quest for Camelot

Mystery-

• Sherlock Holmes (2009)
    • Vertigo

Fantasy-

• Lord of the Rings saga
    • The Neverending Story
    • The Chronicles of Narnia the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Horror-

• The Birds
    • Eraserhead
    • Saw 1-3

War-

• Saving Private Ryan
    • The Hunt for the Red October

Comedy-

• Murder by Death
    • Napoleon Dynamite
    • Shaolin Soccer (foreign)

And that is only a few.

I could go on with a huge list of recommendations, but I'll just give you my all time favorite movie since it is a rare mention:

Tremors.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
tremors.jpg

Released in 1990, Tremors was probably my first monster movie, followed by Jurassic Park. It follows Val (Kevin Bacon) and Earl (Fred Ward), two working men stuck in a backwater town called Perfection, Nevada. The two finally work up enough money to move away and on their way out they notice that people are dying in seemingly unexplainable ways, and they and the rest of the town have to buckle down and fight the monsters trying to kill them.

It is very much a throwback to the monster movies of the 70s and early 80s, and one of the last of its breed before CG and ridiculous budgets, in my opinion, killed the genre. It uses some damn nice puppets, scale models, and cinema magic to create the effects and remains looking damn good to this day and isn't blighted with the CG issues of its sequels, and is one of the last great examples of a now practically dead form of movie making. This movie is also unique in being one of the few monster/horror movies to take place almost entirely in the day with full desert sunlight.

The movie comes about as close to being perfect as any movie I've ever seen. For the longest time it was my favorite monster movie, but it has since recently graduated to my 1# of all time slot after a few years of re-watching. It is a spectacular dark comedy with great pacing and the main monster reveal is probably one of my favorite scenes in cinema. The cast is amazing and they all work off each other well, even if some only exist to die.

Kevin Bacon and Fred Ward's relationship in the movie is probably my favorite friend duo ever since both bring their A game to the table and deliver some great and funny dialogue, giving a great feel that these people knew each other before the movie started and it gives them some great chemistry. Speaking of chemistry, Kevin Bacon and Finn Carter make two great love interests with just enough pacing and hints to feel natural and deserved by the end. This isn't even mentioning Michael Gross' role as Burt Gummer, who remains one of my favorite monster hunting gunslingers.

The movie spawned a cult following and some sequels, as well as a short lived TV show. If you plan on watching Tremors or already have, I highly recommend Tremors 2 as it is one of my favorite sequels of all time as well. It is more comedy focused than the first and, to be frank, starts to fall apart around the 3/4 mark but overall its still a good movie. Unless you are a hardcore fan, don't bother with 3, 4 and the series after that.

I think the first Tremors is a highly underrated gem and should stand as one of the best monster movies of all time, and if you get any joy out of monster movies I recommend you find Tremors as fast as possible if you have not already.

Broke into the wrong GD rec room, didn't ya you b7!

TA, gotta agree with your assessment of Tremors. Though I wouldn't call it my #1 simply because that spot is reserved for Star Wars.

Lets see, I have so many... probably the smallest list is my car movies list.

NOTE that this list is ONLY car people movies. If you aren't a car person there's no guarantee you will even be able to watch these.

Cannonball(not Cannonball run) Great car chases, racing, and a finish that makes it fun. Inspired by Brock Yates's Sea to shining sea race. The first I believe.

Gone in 60 seconds(the original without all the CGI effects) has no plot, no real acting, but a 40 minute car chase. Yes, 40 minutes. the REAL Elanor got wrecked and would have been considered totaled about 30 minutes into the chase. But it actually kept going.

American Graffiti(nuff said)

Bullitt(great car chase)

Two Lane Blacktop(that one is a PURE car junkie's movie. Oh and the 55 is actually the same 55 as in American Graffiti).

Greased Lightning Story of the first African American Stock Car racer.

Heart like a Wheel. Okay, it's the only sorta kinda chick flick in my list. It's the true story of Shirley Muldowney the first woman to crack into top fuel racing.

Mad Max. Do I really need to mention why?

Moonrunners. The original Dukes of Hazard

Ronin. Lets face it, I gotta give the European cars some love for this one.

And you know I gotta give a bit of love to Death Race. The cars are actually going at pretty good speeds, and the stunts... real cars rather than miiature or CGI.

Oh and Deathproof. Because it made me g back and watch my old car movies.

Archived