Home

Mass Effect on the Big Screen

Spadille

ARTICLE@COMINGSOON

Electronic Arts Inc. today announced that Legendary Pictures, whose successful co-productions include The Dark Knight, 300, Clash of the Titans, The Hangover and Watchmen, has acquired theatrical feature film rights to the hit videogame franchise, Mass Effect. The project will also fall under Legendary's co-production and co-financing agreement with Warner Bros., who will distribute the film worldwide. The producers are in discussions with Mark Protosevich (I Am Legend, Thor) to draft a screenplay based on the epic science fiction game series. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni will produce the film with Avi and Ari Arad. BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will serve as executive producers, as will Mass Effect executive producer Casey Hudson.

I just hope it doesn't end up like most game movies...

It'll suck.

Even more so if directly based on the game, because it couldn't possibly cater to all the fans based on their choices and the appearances of their characters.

And, of course, it's a film based on a video game. But it's very early stages yet, so it may not even get off the ground.

^People who have played ME2 might disagree.

Plays like an excellent movie.

Plus, in ME1, your origin story was never explained. It always involved an epic battle for survival on a colony, I believe. That's easily possible to adapt into a movie.

Doesn't sound to bad, but then again, it will likely have the same treatment the games did. Meaning that, all the promotional material for the game, all shows a male Shepard. While not exactly a bad thing, it all ways seems that most RPGs have this, in that the female option is indeed there, but the trailers, posters and other things, seem to feel the need not to mention it, though the manual and the game itself, will. And while I don't mean to say it will be a bad thing to carry over for the movie, I'd just hope that option is considered.

As I said in the other thread, it could go back before the game to the first contact wars and General Williams at Shanxi.

More likely it'll be another video game movie that makes us want to tear that portion of our brain that remembers it out.

Oh sure it could be good like these cinematic masterpieces:

Super Mario Bros.

Double Dragon

Street Fighter

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Wing Commander

Lara Croft: Tomb Raider

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Resident Evil

House of the Dead

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life

Resident Evil: Apocalypse

Alone in the Dark

Doom

BloodRayne

Silent Hill

Dead or Alive

Postal

Resident Evil: Extinction

Hitman

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale

Far Cry

Max Payne

Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li

Metal Gear Solid: Philanthropy

The King of Fighters

Tekken

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

I'm afraid the best we can hope for is probably a movie that doesn't actually make us hate the game it's based on.

Prince of Persia hasn't even released yet, give it a break.

Ok. but do you honestly believe it's going to break the mold?

So far, they have all been cinematic garbage.

To be fair, the same can be said of the majority of video games based on movies.

Ok. but do you honestly believe it's going to break the mold?

So far, they have all been cinematic garbage.

I don't think it's a mold to be broken, really. PoP is riding on some massive money and is going to be modeled as an independent franchise mirroring Pirates of the Caribbean. The larger audience here is family moviegoers who enjoy high adventure.

So far, the targeted audience for video game movies has been either a.) the game's fans (in cases when the franchise is rabidly popular, like Doom, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat etc.) or b.) B-grade movie watchers who wouldn't particularly care otherwise.

Eh, the movie won't bother me. If I can separate Bioware's "canon Shepard" from my version, watching canon Shepard on the big screen isn't going to be a problem.

The problem will be whether or not the movie will suck. I guess we'll find out how much power the doctors have in regards to their executive producer roles. I'm sure they don't want a movie with their name on it to suck as bad as other video game films.

Just had a funny thought... If it happens to take place during the game, how ticked would Seth Green be if they had someone else play "Joker"

WOAH! ADAM BALDWIN was KAL'REEGER?

Figures, I loved that guy.

Commander Shepard: How bad is your suit damage?

Kal'Reegar: Combat seals clamped down to isolate contamination, and I'm swimming in antibiotics. The geth might get me but I'm not going to die from an infection in the middle of a battle. That's just insulting!

Archived