Home

North Korea

e-varmint

Maybe by then the Japanese and SK will have some too. The PRC isn't going to do anything substantial to NK, if only b/c it keeps the US and others somewhat off balance. The NK know this and use it to their advantage. I guess NK will play brinksmanship games for as long as they can get away with it to extort from the "west".

I know South Korea has yet to set aside the nonproliferation pact, but that is because they have us behind them with enough nukes to crackle glaze a quarter of the planet. As for Japan they have an advantage no other country has, two areas of their own where nukes were used. They are so phobic that American warships that can or will carry nuclear weapons are usually refused entry to their harbors.

You have to remember that with the technology to build nuclear powered merchant ships and warships, they built exactly one (The name for the merchant ship escapes me) which was immediately docked and dismantled because of public outcry. Having almost 200,000 of your citizens reduced to superheated plasma will do that to you.

I know South Korea has yet to set aside the nonproliferation pact, but that is because they have us behind them with enough nukes to crackle glaze a quarter of the planet. As for Japan they have an advantage no other country has, two areas of their own where nukes were used. They are so phobic that American warships that can or will carry nuclear weapons are usually refused entry to their harbors.

You have to remember that with the technology to build nuclear powered merchant ships and warships, they built exactly one (The name for the merchant ship escapes me) which was immediately docked and dismantled because of public outcry. Having almost 200,000 of your citizens reduced to superheated plasma will do that to you.

Not sure I see having two formerly nuked cities as an advantage (except for maybe the no-nukes crowd). However, the Japanese have two basic choices before them: be cowed by the PRC as America's influence wanes in that part of the world or build their own deterrent to the PRC. It is estimated that they can start making bombs in 3-6 months. Don't see it happening anytime soon (say next 15-25 years), but things change. Non-proliferation is mostly a lip-serviced ideal and nations will ultimately revoke treaties if they are perceived as putting themselves at a disadvantage. Let's just hope that this "outburst" doesn't lead to something worse down the road (afterall, this is NK's MO when they want something) via miscalculation. Maybe one of their subs could have an accident.......

All I know is that before we do anything (invasion is impossible against a brainwashed masses) we need to get permission from the UN and most importantly...China.

The U.S. is not going to take any military action against North Korea except in retaliation for an overt attack on the South. (i.e. the North's military crossing the border.)

• 6 months later...

Archived