Home

Favorite SW Character

darthfergie

Yeah I know the tired old subject of who's your favorite.

I just think it's interesting when I look at this subject now.

Many look at Star Wars and simply say it's all about the Jedi. Look at a lot of the games being produced for Star Wars. They mainly focus around the Jedi and their exploits. Especially since the Prequels came out and shifted that focal point hard on the Jedi.

Now that I work with kids a lot on my weekends I'm finding more and more that kids have never heard of Han Solo, but they love the Jedi. It's so contrary to how I enjoyed my cup of Star Wars tea before. I loved the non-Jedi actions of a roguish Han Solo. EU characters like Thrawn and Wedge. I'm not knocking people who came in from the Prequels, I just think it's interesting the different viewpoints held from before and after the Prequels came around.

So with all that said, who do you find is your favorite? What type of hero defines your Star Wars experience?

I think the type of hero that defines my Star Wars experience is the one that imposes a father figure. As such, my heroes are: Obi-Wan Kenobi (for the Original Trilogy) and Qui-Gon Jinn (for the Prequel Trilogy).

At first, when I saw "A New Hope" so many years ago, it was Darth Vader only. But as the years went by, watching those old movies over and over again, I really started liking all the SW characters as time went on. Except for the Tusken Raiders (aka sand people), the characters are really annoying.

Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and Jar-Jar Binks in the Prequel Trilogy are the only ones I like, well for now. The others might grow on me, over time. ;)

For me I look to OT and EU for my favorites. I really enjoy the kind of characters who can excel in an exciting universe. Usually enjoy a little more the roguish type as well.

For EU, I started reading the books at an early age and my first was the Heir to the Empire series. So Thrawn has always had a very happy place in my heart. I also really enjoy the way they developed Wedge's character.

As for OT there is Boba Fett (really well developed in EU so probably more of an EU character) and Han/Chewie.

Prequels just lacked that sense of levity brought by Han/Chewie and I never really fell in love with any of the characters. Mace was enjoyable and Yoda was incredible, but again no real favorites.

From the films, Yoda has to be my favourite charachter; that's for all 6, though there are many great Characters from the OT - Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan and of course Vader!

The prequels are much harder to choose, partly as I don't think you get to know the characters as well, the star of the show though is very much Darth Sidious...

For the EU, I love my Exile, although I suppose that's somewhat cheating as that's personal to me given its an RPG charachter. I really like Kreia as a charachter, but thats partly the Nietzchean philosopher in me, I think. Other EU charachter I like... Aayla Secura probably tops the bill. KotOR era charachters I like... Carth, Jolee and Vash.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Always loved Ki-Adi-Mundi. 8 out of 10 times on the internet, if you see a post from Ki Adi Mundi, it's usually me lol. He's the ugly duckling of the Jedi. Huge friggin dome. Plus, he has a fumanchu beard.

I would also have to say I really dig Qui-Gon. It sucked so hard he died in Episode I. He struck me as what I thought a Jedi should be like.

From the Darth Bane trilogy: Darth Bane, Darth Zannah, Kas'im, Darth Andeddu holocron, Freedon Nadd holocron, Revan Holocron, Set Harth, Raskta Lsu (pronounced Rastuh Su I think as k and l are silent), Sarro Xaj.

From KOTOR: The Exile, Kreia, Canderous, HK-47, Handmaiden, Mira, Visas, T3-M4, Master Vrook Lamar, Master Vandar, Darth Sion, Darth Nihilus, Darth Malak, Jolee Bindo, Atton Rand, Master Kavar, MAster Zez Kai-Ell, Zaalbar and Mission.

To a lesser extent Revan and Bastila. I don't know how nor what will play out as to Revan's fate. I seriously hope Revan is nothing more than a force ghost by the time of TOR and that he has not somehow been reborn as one of the Sith Emperor's Sith Lords, as someone else.

TFU: Boba Fett, Maris Brood, HK-77, PROXY.

From the movies;

Prequel: Darth Maul, Mace Windu, Palpatine, Yoda, Dooku, Aayla Secura, Quinlain Voss, Chewbacca, General Greivous, Jango Fett, Komari Vosa, Asajj Ventress, Nejaa Halcyon, Shaak Ti, Dark Woman.

Original:

Boba Fett, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia, Luke, Vader, Palpatine, Yoda, Lando, some of the Ewoks, Bossk, Dengar, C-3PO and R2-D2.

Shadows of the Empire: Dash Rendar, Guri, Prince Xizor, IG-88.

Jedi Knight/Dark Forces: Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, Desann, Jerec, Mara Jade, Boc Aseca, Jaden Korr.

I've always liked Revan. I just thought his/her character was very interesting and it developed nicely. A friend of mine and i were talking about our favorite jedi and favorite sith, and we were wondering if one could choose the sith lord revan as our favorite sith, and the redeemed revan (after he/she was betrayed) as our favorite jedi, so i guess i'll pose that question to you guys, or if it'd just be revan as your favorite, versus the different facets of him/her, different stages in his/her life. What do you think?

• 7 months later...

The movies (intentionally) presented the Star Wars universe as something clearly black-and-white and this battle between light and dark seeps through to almost everything Star Wars. I've always been a fan of the ambiguous characters that put the dichotomy on its head. That's why I loved the second KotOR game and why characters like Kreia, Jolee Bindo or Kyle Katarn are my favorites. With Kreia as my ultimate favorite character, who you could see as attacking every truth of the SW Universe, but actually makes it, in my opinion, a more compelling place.

That's a great argument, Militiades. I stand by Revan being my ultimately favorite characters, recognizing the light and the dark side not as good or evil, but parts of a whole, and utilizing both to do what is right. But I also agree with you that it's the characters who aren't cut-and-dry good or evil that are the best created characters, which is what made the second KOTOR one of my favorite games of all time. Yes, I'm the one wierdo who liked the second one more than the first. I just felt the story, the characters, the whole plot, were on a whole new level above KOTOR, which was much more black vs. white. While you were Revan who had done evil things, you didn't know you had. You could still be the glorious model jedi, whereas Meetra was aware of all she had done, was reminded and had to bear the terrible weight of her genocidal acts. Add to that you had Kreia and Visas Marr, who also weren't "light" or "dark". It really added a lot more depth to the story, and made you wonder if "light" and "good" always went hand in hand, and that's something they expanded on immensly in SWTOR, when one's superiors tell them to sacrifice others to save many more, and refusing to compromise and trying to save everyone is actually a darkside choice.

Archived