Home

Insomniac games going multi-platform

urluckyday

Read this on Gamespot earlier today...

From Spyro the Dragon and Ratchet & Clank to Resistance, Insomniac Games has been a premiere developer for the PlayStation family of consoles. While gamers frequently--though mistakenly--believe the studio to be a part of Sony, Insomniac has always been an independent developer....

"We want to reach more players," Insomniac founder and CEO Ted Price told GameSpot. "We've always been very excited about our PS3 fan base, but we're at the time in our company growth where we would like to also bring the entertainment experiences we're creating to the Xbox 360 fan base...Certainly, our interest is in owning what we create. And working with EAP, we can do that, and that's a boon for us."

I'm actually pretty excited about this. I can't say that I ever played more than a few levels on Ratchet and Clank, but I know that Insomniac has made some great games, and I think this expansion to other consoles is good for gamers. However, I do wonder whether or not we may see a drop in quality of these games simply because they won't be making them for just 1 console anymore. Oh well, who knows?

• 2 weeks later...
This has me worried, being a Insomniac fan since the Spyro days, does this mean Ratchet and Clank and Resistance will no longer be Playstation exclusives? Thats not a good thing IMO, especially for Playstation.
I'm pretty sure the Ratchet and Resistance IP's are staying with the Sony brand, just from reading various articles. I don't know whether or not Sony actually has any ownership over those IP's or not, though I tend to believe that they don't as Insomniac has technically never been a 1st party developer for Sony. Also for some reason I feel like I've read somewhere that Sony let their "2nd party" developers keep sole ownership of their IP's.

Anyway, it doesn't really surprise me to see Insomniac developing games for multi-consoles now, exclusivity among 3rd party developers is going to become extinct soon, with the increase in development costs it just isn't really justifiable anymore. Also if there is any developer that I would think has the ability to develop technically equivalent games on multiple platforms it would be Insomniac. Their games are about as bug-free and technically sound as you'll find.

Archived