Home

Infinity - Has anyone else seen this?

swphreak

I've been following this game for years, but it had been awhile since I visited the site. I saw that there was a new video, and after watching it, my mind was blown.

About the game from the official site:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Welcome to Infinity.

Infinity is a massively multiplayer online game set in a persistent futuristic universe, currently in development.

Infinity features an advanced procedural engine allowing for a seemingly infinite galaxy of unique star systems and planets to discover and explore, including seamless planetary landing. Infinity offers new and existing players an extensive storyline following the complex and often intricate political and social interactions of hundreds of corporations, organizations, and reputation groups through the games three primary factions: the Centauran, the Deltan Federation, and the Star Fold Confederacy.

Infinity employs an open-ended world design, in which a player can control everything from a small shuttle to massive military dreadnaught, a single mining operation to an entire vast corporate empire, all without having to change characters. A completely player-skill based game design, Infinity sheds the need for character classes and skills by embracing self-balance over arbitrary limitation, allowing players to choose their own path to make their name across the galaxy.

Although all players are expected to act in concordance with their personal motivations, Infinity is not a traditional role playing game. The actions of a single player greatly affect the evolution of their character. Your character might grow from their humble beginnings as a young military officer to become the master of a vast corporate empire, or even a wanted mercenary and pirate.

The game mechanics do not emphasize any particular game play style - combat, trade, exploration, social relationships, you are free to choose your own path and goals. Players can choose from a number of interesting character backgrounds that serve as your characters personal history, circumstances, and setting in the Infinity universe to help ground new players in their new boundless horizon of stars. The only limit is your own imagination!

Combat in Infinity functions in real-time, utilizing Newtonian physics to control the fluid realistic movements of player ships and objects. Where the outcome of combat is determined by your own intelligence and reflexes. Not the level and class of another player!

Like all massively multiplayer online (MMO) games, you will connect to an online server shared by thousands of other players at any time. But, unlike other MMOs, the Infinity universe is an entirely persistent. The actions of your characters do not stop when you log off - as the actions of your characters continue to progress and evolve, even while you are offline.

By utilizing the advanced procedural techniques of the I-Novae Engine, Infinity has unshackled itself from the limitations of its forbearers, allowing for the dynamic generation of countless star systems and planets, each unique and awaiting to be discovered by a player. Drawing upon plausible astronomic scales and distances of stellar objects, the precise orbital path of every celestial body is modeled, as each planet and star moves continuously within the galaxy. Allowing players to glimpse the double sunrise of a binary star system on some distant rocky world, to the total eclipse of a tiny moon orbiting a massive gas giant thousands of light years from your home planet - every vista, every horizon is wholly unique in Infinity.

Screenshots:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

flamberge12.jpg

building18.jpg

terrain_41.jpg

space_5.jpg

building11.jpg

makon1.jpg

Anyone interested in space sims should really check Infinity out.

How is this anything like EVE Online? Having played EVE for a long time, I find Inifnity looks and sounds like it'll be much more entertaining than EVE was. Combat in EVE is incredibly boring, and flying around is no fun at all. Plus, EVE doesn't let you fly on planets.

At one point in the video, the guy was clicking on random stars on the screen, and information would popup showing the star's name and distance. According to the devs, every one of those stars are there, and players can visit them.

It's also been mentioned that there may be a single player "sandbox" version of the game released.

The game is still Pre-Alpha, so I'm definitely giving Inifinty a chance.

Well it's bound to be compared to EVE given the dearth of other space-based MMOs. I don't have much first-hand experience of EVE myself. I did briefly try one of the trials one time, but found it completely impenetrable. Seemed to me the sort of game an accountant would play for fun. I'll take your word on the differences. Maybe when it offers a trial I'll check it out.

How is this anything like EVE Online? Having played EVE for a long time, I find Inifnity looks and sounds like it'll be much more entertaining than EVE was. Combat in EVE is incredibly boring, and flying around is no fun at all. Plus, EVE doesn't let you fly on planets.

At one point in the video, the guy was clicking on random stars on the screen, and information would popup showing the star's name and distance. According to the devs, every one of those stars are there, and players can visit them.

It's also been mentioned that there may be a single player "sandbox" version of the game released.

The game is still Pre-Alpha, so I'm definitely giving Inifinty a chance.

EVE was just....work. Not relaxation. If this goes the way you think (dare I say Freelancer?) I'm heavily interested. Freelancer combined lore with excellent gaming mechanics.

The design of the player ship in the video...somewhat WW2-ish. I like it.

Might add it to my list next to Guild Wars 2 and Swtor.

Thanks for the info!

Try it from the other end of the earth and get back to me.

If it's an MMO worth it's salt, they'll have local (same continent :xp: ) servers.

As RH said, DDO has real-time combat and it's actually a pretty sweet deal. Hotkey hell, but sweet. Gives you a sense you're actually playing a game rather than watching a sequence of animations while the AI number crunches results.

Of course, Turbine also has US & Australian servers so connection has never been a factor by the player/fan base (quick content updates however are a different story.. hehe)

MUCH better than clicking a button and "hoping for the best" imo ;)

Try it from the other end of the earth and get back to me.

Lets see, In DDO I personally play with people from Singapore, to Oz to Europe and, of course, the North and South Americas so a pretty big spread.

We all seem to do fine. :giveup:

Archived