Home

What is your favourite adventure game location?

Snugglecakes

I like the mellow aura exuded from Folsense in Layton 2. It feels like such a dreamlike, cordial place. Old photographs fade, dustily mouldering in the candlelight of antiquated shops. Sombre working men sweep the streets, forgotten divas fret in the warm lamplight of closed clubs, and at its center, the murkily luminous windows of a museum greet the traveler. Such a well-drawn, thickly atmospheric town.

The ruins of Knossos in Fate of Atlantis has always been my favorite adventure game location. I spent so many hours of my youth exploring those chalky, vacant Minoan ruins with Indy and Sophia. Too many hours? Probably. But that 256-color rendition of Crete captured my imagination like no other locale in the game, and imbued me with a desire to really travel there someday, if only to savor the simple experience of standing by the horns of consecration (dressed as Indy), and say: "Here we are in the ruins of Knossos." :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hah. This thread is amazing. When I first opened it I expected to see a poll, and I would have chosen Rubacava and moved on. But as I progressed through the thread, having been forced to actually READ other people's choices, I couldn't help but agree with each person in turn! Blood Island, fantastic! Plunder, a great location, even if it isn't dark and moody. Woodtick... not so much - give me Melée Island any day.

What would I go for in the end? Probably still Rubacava, but the other choices are excellent contenders. I'd like to give an honourable mention to the desert in Full Throttle, near the mink ranch. There's not much to it but it's brilliantly realised.

Hah. This thread is amazing. When I first opened it I expected to see a poll, and I would have chosen Rubacava and moved on. But as I progressed through the thread, having been forced to actually READ other people's choices, I couldn't help but agree with each person in turn!

That's why I don't really like polls... this is more interesting :thmbup1:

Yes, Crete is a very calming locale. Sometimes I will put the game on just for the background music while I read or write. It still frustrates me how they have ripped almost every song from the game soundtrack except for my absolute favorite—the Crete ruins theme (which first appears in the basement of Caswell Hall where Indy finds the horned idol at the beginning of the game). I would kill to have an MP3 of that song, which loops wonderfully, by the way, and provides a very soothing effect.

By the way, the first pic of Indy and Sophia on the dock is actually Thera, while the bottom pic is, of course, Crete.

Track 21 contains at least one playthrough of every cue that plays when you're wandering around the ruins of Crete and Thera. The game goes through a MIDI file with several cues and plays them in a random order while you walk around. There's also an unusued cue in the MIDI file which is the Iceland theme with an instrument change. Maybe they intended to use it in Caswell Hall when you go up to the attic or somewhere in Crete... I included it as track 40.

Track 22 is the music that plays when you use the land surveyor equipment to find the X.

Track 25 is the music that plays when you hang around Thera Harbor long enough and not the rest of the island.

No... still not the one I'm thinking of. The theme occurs when you revisit the boiler room anytime after the opening credits, or if you stand in the mural room on Crete, and also periodically when exploring the ruins of Knossos.

It's like: dun *DUN*... dun dun dun dun.... etc.

It's hard to type out a musical theme, but that's the best I could do. Perhaps its destined to only be enjoyed in the game. The problem with a lot of the extracted MIDIs is that the re-instrumentation changes the way the music sounds. I do quite enjoy Bart Klepta's Crete dance mix, though! :thmbup1:

Before I opened this thread, I couldn't wait to add Rubacava, Thera from FOA, and Blood Island to the list... looks like I was a little late!

FOA had quite a few locations that really left an impression on me with their atmosphere. I have very nostalgic memories of Iceland, Tikal, the Azores... even though they were basically one-screen areas.

Least favorite of all time? definitely Monkey Island in MI4... the entire island was reduced to a few paths, with a boulder dropping game and a depressing, repetitive log ride for a milk bottle. It felt so empty and forced.

No... still not the one I'm thinking of. The theme occurs when you revisit the boiler room anytime after the opening credits, or if you stand in the mural room on Crete, and also periodically when exploring the ruins of Knossos.
Yes, now did you listen to all 7 mins?

It's also in track 13, of course, since the version played in the Caswell Hall basement continues into a different cue.

Yes, I listened to the entire track on a loop for nearly an hour whilst writing FOA. I did hear echoes of the theme, but the notes were a bit muted compared to how sharply they stand out in the game. I haven't listened to track 12 yet, but I will now. Thanks for the music recommendations! :thmbup1:

YES!!! That's it!!! At the very end of track #13, the Crete theme kicks in at 4:50. It's the same one that seems to loop inside of the mural room. Too bad there's not an isolated track with just that bit. But it's nice to hear it again without booting up the game in ScummVM. :)

That would be nice, but I'm not tech-savvy enough to do that. No, if I had an audio editing program, the first thing I would do is re-splice On the Tank with Belly of the Steel Beast from the Last Crusade soundtrack into the original piece, as heard in the film. I've been dying for that complete, unaltered track since 1993. :mad:

Archived