Home

Shogun 2: Total War

Shogun20220Poster1.png

3rd June, 2010

Total War returns to Samurai warfare

LONDON & SAN FRANCISCO (June 2nd, 2010) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. proudly announce Shogun 2: Total War™, the sixth instalment of The Creative Assembly’s multi award-winning Total War™ strategy franchise on PC. Shogun 2: Total War returns to Feudal Japan 10 years after the release of the original Shogun: Total War™, and sees Creative Assembly using a wealth of new ideas and development experience to make Shogun 2 the revolutionary strategy game that their first title has proven to be.

It is the middle of the 16th Century in Feudal Japan. The country, once ruled by a unified government, is now split into many warring clans. Players take on the role of one Daimyo, the clan leader, and will use military engagements, economics and diplomacy to achieve the ultimate goal, re-unite Japan under his supreme command and become the new Shogun – the undisputed ruler of a pacified nation.

Shogun 2: Total War will feature enhanced full 3D battles via land and sea, which made a name for the series, as well as the tactical campaign map that many refer to as the heart and soul of Total War. Featuring a brand new AI system inspired by the scriptures that influenced Japanese warfare, the millennia old Chinese “Art of War”, the Creative Assembly brings the wisdom of Master Sun Tsu to Shogun 2: Total War. Analysing this ancient text enabled the Creative Assembly to implement easy to understand yet deep strategical gameplay.

“Developing Shogun 2: Total War gives us the opportunity to use recent technology to portray one of history’s most exciting civil wars.” commented Mike Simpson, Creative Director at The Creative Assembly and father of the Total War franchise. “Ever since we developed Shogun: Total War 10 years ago, the team at The Creative Assembly has always dreamt of using our accumulated experience to revisit Total War in Feudal Japan.”

Shogun 2: Total War will be released exclusively for PC in 2011.

Official site - http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds great - the series did need to go back to a more uncomplicated era, where weapons where sophisticated unlike these crude muskets.

But more importantly, I'd like to see how they innovate. What little I played of Medieval II and Empire felt a lot like redressed Rome.

Awesome (although that's not surprising coming from me, being a massive CA fanboy :p).

If true, i'm glad that their next game is not going to be 'Rome 2' as everyone keeps expecting. It'll be nice to go back to Japan after ten years.

Interesting indeed - I know nothing at all about the period in which it is set (and didn't play Shogun), but I'm very willing to give it a go. I agree that it might be a good thing to strip away a lot of the complication in terms of mass of units, though some uniqueness between factions (if history allows it), even in terms of appearance would be nice.

Still hope Rome 2 comes after this one, though! :xp:

I think I just had a wargasm.

Of course we'll need to see more, but i'm encouraged by IGN's reporting of a return to a simpler approach. I loved both Empire and Napoleon (mainly because I love the period), but the 'feature creep' was apparent, and was probably what lead to the former being such a bug-ridden atrocity upon release.

Not sure about those Hero units, though.

and didn't play Shogun),

*swoons* :p

bug-ridden atrocity upon release.

Yes...a phenomenon that CA can hopefully do away with this time round. It doesn't really help opinion, getting the game new, running into appalling bugs and having to think 'oh well perhaps that will be dealt with in the first patch.'

Not sure about those Hero units, though.

Yeah, it's a bit Age of Empires-ish. I didn't mind the 'heroes' thing too much in Alexander or Kingdoms, but they didn't have the ability 'to hold a bridge single-handed' - just an elevated rally power or something similar.

*swoons* :p

:lol:

Didn't play the original Medieval either - only got into it with Rome.

I'm still going to be allowed to post in Total War related threads, right? :p

Of course! But you're on probation. :p

Seriously, though, you *must* play both of them. There's really no excuse with them being so cheap, and just downright excellent.

I know of someone who isn't pumped up by this: dad. He has been a Total War fan for longer than I have but he just doesn't like anything that escapes an european centered scenario.

How do you convince someone who generally frowns on japanese related games to give it a chance? I suppose I could say it's still Total War....

:lol:

Didn't play the original Medieval either - only got into it with Rome.

I think you might find somewhat weird that your armies and agents will not be able to freely move through the map. You just place them on adjacent territories and that's it, very similar to a board game. Other than that, the original Medieval had an unique charm. I still remember the soundtrack of the campaign - what little there was.

I know of someone who isn't pumped up by this: dad. He has been a Total War fan for longer than I have but he just doesn't like anything that escapes an european centered scenario.

How do you convince someone who generally frowns on japanese related games to give it a chance?

Tell him he's racist.

Interview with James Russell, TW Lead Designer. Mostly seems to be all things we've heard already, but still interesting.

We really want to make Shogun 2 a thing of beauty, and the most immersive Total War game ever. We are focusing on pushing gameplay depth and polish rather than raw ‘size’ or scope: doing more with less.

Maybe it's just me, but I keep seeing 'polish' being thrown around by developers a lot recently, and it worries me slightly.

Some E3 screenshots of the graphics and interface -

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=6721

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=6722

Show spoiler
picture.php?albumid=272&pictureid=6723

Looks pretty good, and I really like the interface and unit cards.

That second shot looks intriguing...can't really make out what it is, naval combat or some kind of amphibious assault.

I'm looking forward to seeing the night-battles again. And another form of naval combat, of course!

That second shot looks intriguing...can't really make out what it is, naval combat or some kind of amphibious assault.

It can't be both? :xp:

I'm guessing you'll be able to make amphibious attacks with ships, and to counter such attacks, you can use your own defensive navies.

I foresee a Mongol invasion DLC.

It can't be both? :xp:

I'm guessing you'll be able to make amphibious attacks with ships, and to counter such attacks, you can use your own defensive navies.

I foresee a Mongol invasion DLC.

Several Japanese vessels sit just away from the shore' date=' having landed a number of troops for a seaborne invasion of the province. Here the brand new elements of combining the land and sea is seen in full effect, a first for a Total War game.[/quote']

http://shoguntotalwar.yuku.com/topic/72121/t/Shogun-2-screenshots-from-E3.html

Maybe it's just me, but I keep seeing 'polish' being thrown around by developers a lot recently, and it worries me slightly.

Perhaps, but on this case it seems they mean it. Since going back to the Warring States after being centuries on the future on a game that staged practically all of the world seems like a huge step back, it'd look like they're trying to make up for it introducing more depht on what they have.

Looks pretty good, and I really like the interface and unit cards.

The first one looks especially gorgeous, nice storm effects.

Oh, I think I know what he means.

Campaign map: A fleet lands in a coastal city and deploys the army it was ferrying. It should trigger this kind of battle scenario.

Ive always been partial to the TW series.

I know a little bit about Heian period but I dont think they'll be going that far back in this. I did read the Takeda clan is featured in the game, who came in Late Heian on through to Sengoku.

I'd love for the mongolians to be a playable faction ;) I havent played S1 so dont know if it was covered in that. Amazing story, the Mongolian Invasions of Japan.

Will definitely give the game a go.

mtfbwya

Archived