Home

Shogun 2: Total War

That's not true. Empire and Napolean: Total War have very very limited modding capabilities and as a result, very few modifications are being released in comparison to Kingdoms.

Firstly, I wouldn't use the number of mods released as any form of comparison, and yes, it has it's limits, but they aren't as restrictive as first thought.

Also, there are no full conversions like in Kingdoms either, and these are often the greatest mods.

Now the community has found a way to replace and add models in the game, there are several in progress - although, much like the modding community for E:TW and N:TW themselves, it's still early days.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

New battle video:

[youtube=hd]CItSb0SVZOw

Having fortress walls your enemy can simply climb straight over seems pretty lame. I gather they had to do that to make up for a lack of heavy artillery used in European-based TWs, but with no obvious way to funnel attackers into a killing zone it actually seems like defenders could be at a disadvantage. I don't like the Dawn of War style capture points either. What would have made more sense would have been garrisonable buildings in the style of some of the C&C games.

• 4 weeks later...

^^^^

the campaign trailer just showcases exactly what i'm expecting from the game. hopefully things like pathfinding won't derail what looks to be a solid battle system.

looking forward to this one and about another 10 games all slated to be out within the next 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Replacement for the post wiped by the database crash. New videos released last week.

Land Battles Walkthrough:

[youtube=hd]eg4S93uxrJY

Maps and RPG Walkthrough:

[youtube=hd]PfyOS9x4Q5I

Naval and Siege Battles Walkthrough:

[youtube=hd]3o2tUW35dPc

Multiplayer Walkthrough:

[youtube=hd]0oQo69F67O0

Shogun scores 92 in PC Gamer UK

We’ve played and reviewed Shogun 2 and awarded the game a score of 92 and an Editor’s Choice award. The review appears in the latest issue of PC Gamer UK, on-sale February 16.

Why did it get that score and the Editor’s Choice award? Try improved AI that attacks from the sea and uses terrain to its advantage, an online clan system with excellent matchmaking that encourages teamworks between allies, and the artful realisation of the Sengoku period. We say that “Shogun 2 is the Total War series back on form,” and that it “boasts the most outrageous hats in martial history.

That score should, of course, be taken with an Atakebune full of salt, not least because these are the same charlatans that gave Empire, in its original, bug-ridden, near unplayable form a 94.

I have to confess I haven't paid any attention to this game, even though it is a Total War game, so I'm hoping it'll be a pleasant surprise, and that I'll learn something about Japanese history while playing.

• 2 weeks later...

The demo is out! I've not downloaded it yet but will be - although I imagine it will follow the same format as other TW demos - some scripted battle tutorials, and perhaps a historical battle, but it'll be a reasonable indicator of how well it runs.

I love Total War games, especially Rome and Medieval II, but my wallet is so strapped right now with the Witcher 2 and Dragon Age 2; going to have to wait a bit for this one.

Anyone know how long it takes to catch a Total War game on a steam sale for like 50 or 75% off; I remember Empire had one of those just a couple months after release. I still need to pick up Napoleon: Total War, is that worth it or just as disappointing as Empire?

I still do not have a new machine yet (entirely due to my laziness and Baldur's Gate 2), but I will love to year views, Astor. As soon as I do get my new box this will probably be the first thing I get if all goes to plan...

I still do not have a new machine yet (entirely due to my laziness and Baldur's Gate 2), but I will love to year views, Astor. As soon as I do get my new box this will probably be the first thing I get if all goes to plan...

As the resident TW fanboy i'm embarrassed to admit that i've downloaded it, but i've not had the time yet to even think about playing it yet...

I'm going to fix that tomorrow, though, and I'll let you know. :)

Unless, of course, anyone else has played the demo, and would like to fill us in...

As the resident TW fanboy i'm embarrassed to admit that i've downloaded it, but i've not had the time yet to even think about playing it yet...

I'm going to fix that tomorrow, though, and I'll let you know. :)

Unless, of course, anyone else has played the demo, and would like to fill us in...

I've never actually owned a TW game, just demoed Rome and M2:TW. The game seems quite good. The interface is great and I love the formations mode. :thmbup1:

My roommate and I played Shogun's Demo. It was every kind of awesome, except extremely limited because of its being a demo. And by limited, I mean LIMITED. You can fight prescripted tutorial battles and one historical battle only. Otherwise, we are both convinced that Shogun 2 is the best Total War game to date, potentially among the best strategy games upon further testing: they seem to have more or less included all the functions we've both been hoping for in a Total War game at the SAME EXACT TIME (effective cavalry charges being one of them).

So I finally got round to playing the demo today - as LoH says, it is rather limited, but unlike previous TW demos, you can at least try out the campaign mode - putting you in control of Chōsokabe Motochika as he extends his power across Shikoku.

I haven't played the historical battle yet (Sekigahara - I'm assuming the player has control of Ieyasu's forces, given the actual outcome), but the tutorial battles I've played so far have been smooth - my machine is just over a year old and can play on 'Ultra' settings without incident.

The campaign system is pretty much the same as normal - only this time, as we've seen, you can actually rotate the map. The campaign interface is very similar in many ways to Empire - the tax screen, for instance, has barely been altered except for the obvious cosmetic changes.

The Government screen has been merged into the family tree, with the option of promoting your Generals to various positions as Commissioners of War, Supply, and some other roles that escape me at the moment.

And, of course, the demo gives a quick look at the use of Ninjas. :D

In all, I think Shogun 2 is definitely worth a look - and I say this as someone with very little knowledge about Japanese history, apart from what I learnt the other day from a documentary about Tokugawa Ieyasu, and the little I gleaned from playing Age of Empires II a decade ago. :lol:

Shogun 2 arrived yesterday, but I've only played a little bit so far - I'm finding it harder to get into this one than the previous two games - most likely due to the unfamiliarity of the period - that, and close up, the game looks damn ugly.

While my computer is capable of running the game on ultra settings, there is NO anti-aliasing at all for DX9 or DX10 - but there will be a patch in four weeks for DX10.1 and DX11.

EDIT: Apparently the other reason it looks so ugly is because someone forgot to include DX10 support, which will be addressed by the patch. :¬:

Archived