Home

Shogun 2: Total War

I'd love for the mongolians to be a playable faction ;) I havent played S1 so dont know if it was covered in that.
It was covered in the expansion pack, and yes they were playable - http://pc.ign.com/articles/166/166609p1.html The question will be whether CA wants to retread that same ground in a similar expansion, or if they follow the recent TW trend of doing a whole new game. Either way, it seems highly unlikely they'd feature in the base game.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Saucy! Although the horses seem oddly low detail compared to some of the foot troop models.

The animations don't look as natural as they did in Empire or Napoleon (not that they were perfect, but they looked a little more fluid).

It's probably an early video anyway, so hopefully they'll improve on the quality of the horses.

Much of it looks very impressive indeed - the weather effect, the surroundings and the one-on-one fighting animations particularly.

Hopefully we'll get to see some more of the naval warfare element soon, I can't wait to see how that is implemented, or indeed how 'natural' it looks.

Looks great to me. Can't wait!

For those of us interested in samurai (especially a more realistic portrayal) there is not much to fulfill that. Something like this will be most welcome.

I hope that the renowned Total War modding community takes to this game with the same passion that it has with the previous games, and that we will see some of the usual realism mods.

Although this game will be interesting for me because despite playing the original, I know very little about Japan and the Samurai (barring one awful Tom Cruise film), so I look forward to learning about a new period.

I know very little about Japan and the Samurai (barring one awful Tom Cruise film), so I look forward to learning about a new period.
And you won't learn much from that film either. :) While enjoyed it, it has very little basis in reality both in terms of events and portrayals of samurai. It is extremely idealized.

In any case, the events of that film are designed to reflect the end of the samurai period when the Emperor ended the shogunate in 1867 and the end of the samurai class was at hand.

This game takes place largely in the 16th century, when clans fought each other constantly and there was much intrigue. It is an awesome period of time for games. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like that campaign map, and the agent animations. And, ROTATION!

The video looked good, too, although I think even the deepest of sleepers might have woken up if someone fell over them like that.

This levelling mechanic sounds very interesting.

The battle video looks pretty amazing, as expected. But aren't the warriors dying a bit faster than usual? I know the video was fast-fowarded multiple times and that it's pre-alpha, but I've seen several one-hit deaths there. That cavalry charge was especially powerful.

I like that campaign map, and the agent animations. And, ROTATION!
The map looks superb indeed. Empire's looked so bleh and featureless, even worse than Medieval's. But is rotation really such a huge deal? :xp:

This levelling mechanic sounds very interesting.

I'm not sure if there's any difference from the subterfuge system.

• 4 weeks later...

Video looks awesome. I can't wait to play this, and expand my knowledge of Japanese history (with the aid of a few books in addition to this).

It's a shame the modding capabilities of this game will be virtually non-existent. Hence why Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms will always be the best of the Total War series.

I confess I haven't been following Shogun 2's development very closely, but people made those claims about both Empire and Napoleon, yet the modding community is turning out some great mods for both of those games.

I confess I haven't been following Shogun 2's development very closely, but people made those claims about both Empire and Napoleon, yet the modding community is turning out some great mods for both of those games.

That's not true. Empire and Napolean: Total War have very very limited modding capabilities and as a result, very few modifications are being released in comparison to Kingdoms. Also, there are no full conversions like in Kingdoms either, and these are often the greatest mods.

Archived