Home

Another Star Wars MMO Confirmed

darthfergie

http://kotaku.com/5552522/free-realms-meets-star-wars-in-clones-wars-adventures

clonewars_01.jpg

Sony Online Entertainment draws back the curtain on Clone Wars Adventures, taking the successful formula established with its free-to-play, family-friendly MMO Free Realms to a galaxy far, far away.

Rumored in March and due out this fall, Clone Wars Adventures is a massively-multiplayer online Star Wars game for kids, families, and casual gamers. After achieving massive success with its first family-friendly MMO, Free Realms, SOE applies the same business model to the Star Wars universe.

Based on the popular cartoon, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, the game will feature a wide variety of gameplay, including lightsaber duels, starfighter battles, tower defense, and droid programming puzzles. There's even a collectible card game built right in.

okay, this could be dangerous... free to play, STAR WARS, MMO... Welll guess I didn't need sleep anymore...

If they made SWG free to play, I'd probably be doing that...

I just hope SW:TOR doesn't kill SWG.

I just hope SW:TOR doesn't kill SWG.

honestly, it actually might re-energize SWG. Depending on the features in TOR. I mean SWG has a few things they haven't even mentioned hardly anything about in TOR. Personal Housing. Player cities. THE best crafting(okay, maybe not THE best but pretty high up there).

I hope it will be like this:

People under the age of 16/18: This cartoony mmo

People that won't ruin the MMO experience for others*: Swtor

Hmmm...maybe they could put both games on 1 DVD.

If your computer detects you're an idiot you only get the option of installing this. Hmmmm. Possibilities!

OT:

Looks quit nice for the younger folks to be honest. Same graphical style as the series.

*= Revansson1998, BioticBastilla1999 etc etc.

I hope it will be like this:

People under the age of 16/18: This cartoony mmo

People that won't ruin the MMO experience for others*: Swtor

Hmmm...maybe they could put both games on 1 DVD.

If your computer detects you're an idiot you only get the option of installing this. Hmmmm. Possibilities!

:lol: Was actually thinking the same thing :xp: .

How are those related?

It's called sarcasm.

I tried to state that this game aims for a much younger audience. The younger audience that (prejudice) goes around and ruins most MMO's by their username or actions.

OT: In the first post, it's stated this will be a casual mmo. Can such a thing even excist?

It's called sarcasm.

Hard to see on the Internet. ;)

I tried to state that this game aims for a much younger audience. The younger audience that (prejudice) goes around and ruins most MMO's by their username or actions.

Agreed. But not everyone who plays this type of game is an idiot. As it was said, is a casual MMO.

OT: In the first post, it's stated this will be a casual mmo. Can such a thing even excist?

There are many of them, including WoW.

Main thing I'm worried about is splitting up the market share. You'd think this would weaken the userbase of TOR. Not good news when you're EA investing more money into this game than any other game you've ever made.

Sure it's aimed at casuals and kids, but if TOR was the only mainstream experience to get your Jedi on then it'd be able to capitalize more fully on the market share. Instead it may lose out on many casuals who just want to be Jedi who go to the free to play SW MMO. Especially since it will have ties to the cartoon series that so many kids are familiar with now.

Sure you may be saying "oh big deal we just lost out on a bunch of 12 year olds" but to EA, it's a big deal on that bottom line.

There are many of them, including WoW.

Hmmm. In comparison to Eve online, it is.

But when you get to lv 80 and Tier 9-10 gear the only way to go is raiding, which can be quite difficult.

Maybe this is more like a Guild Wars light?

Speaking of which, I get the good feeling SWTOR is grabbing some fine elements from Guild Wars as well. Companions, possibility to do everything solo, good story, much new lore.

I hope it will feel like a Kotor-MMO instead of an Star Wars MMO.

Main thing I'm worried about is splitting up the market share. You'd think this would weaken the userbase of TOR. Not good news when you're EA investing more money into this game than any other game you've ever made.

That's my question. Seem to me like a stupid move on their part.

Sure it's aimed at casuals and kids, but if TOR was the only mainstream experience to get your Jedi on then it'd be able to capitalize more fully on the market share. Instead it may lose out on many casuals who just want to be Jedi who go to the free to play SW MMO. Especially since it will have ties to the cartoon series that so many kids are familiar with now.

Sure you may be saying "oh big deal we just lost out on a bunch of 12 year olds" but to EA, it's a big deal on that bottom line.

I think it'll hurt SWG if it's gonna' hurt any SW MMO. It's quickly becoming "the other SW MMO"

I think it'll hurt SWG if it's gonna' hurt any SW MMO. It's quickly becoming "the other SW MMO"

No. What will hurt SWG is SW:TOR. This MMO will probably take nothing, since it doesn't take any fee to play, so any player who would like to join either SW:TOR or SWG won't loose nothing by playing both.

I find it interesting that LA would do something like this...BUT...I don't really think EA will take a major hit tbh. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that they aren't panicking over this announcement. If I had to guess their thoughts are pretty much the same as mine..."meh"

• 4 weeks later...

Archived