Home

2010 FIFA World Cup

Astor

The 2010 FIFA World Cup kicks off in exactly a week's time...

500px-2010_fifa_world_cup_logo_svg.png

...and i'm already bored to tears by it all.

(sorry, folks, I thought i'd kill two birds with one large rock by starting the inevitable World Cup thread and venting my frustration at a whole month of football talk, so talk away :p)

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Due to Turkiye's absence, my heart is with Spain on this one. I don't expect Australia to make it beyond their group. It'd also be fantastic to see an African nation take it out for once, or come close.

I'd really love to see Villa and Torres display some of the finishing prowess we know they are capable of

viltores.jpg

VIVA LA ESPANA!!

This has to be the coolest World Cup Related Advertisement Ever!!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

mtfbwya

Astrotoy7 +1 Kudo for the advert!!

I guess it will be Spain as well. If you can permit yourself to have Fabregas on the bench...then your team is a bit tóó good :xp:

I wouldn't like Italy to win this time either.

They kinda raped the Champions League this year. Samuel Eto'o as a defender. Kinda made me want to cut my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Anyway, I think Argentina wont get through the poule fase.

The team is unbalanced into extreme and their coach...bah. The team should be build around several players. Now it's just eleven individual quality players.

Oh yeah, the Dutch will fail. Epicly. 5-6 players are world class. 5 more can handle the level. The rest fails, even in Holland. If even 1 of the bases 11 is injured or get's a card, it's over and we'll need to play with a Celtic bench warmer, HSV mediocre player or 40-year old keeper...

Australia and Brazil are my favorites. It'd also be nice to see some African success, especially Ivory Coast really has the potential.

Other than that, well, I'd kill to see North Korea vs. South Korea. Not earlier possible than semifinals, though. Dang.

I would like Portugal to win.

Portugal v Brazil in group stage is going to be interesting :thmbup1:

J7 will have to fill us in, is their any residual colonial rivalry when these two teams meet? That extra bit of passion can make games spectacular.

Dang beat me too it lol

hehe...you gotta' be quick to outgeek me in SW related news :p That's why I sign my posts with....

mtfbwya

I'd like England to win, Not because I'm English, but because maybe then we can shut up about it lol, anybody would think the 66 world cup was the only thing that ever happened in the history of England :lol:
Why else are they trying so hard to organize the World Cup again... ;)

Similar to us, really, only we'd like to organize it so we can qualify for one.

Portugal v Brazil in group stage is going to be interesting :thmbup1:

J7 will have to fill us in, is their any residual colonial rivalry when these two teams meet? That extra bit of passion can make games spectacular.

I'd call it a friendly rivalry. ;)

We have a good relationship with Brazil.

What's going on with the big names over Africa?

JOHANNESBURG -- The injuries just keep coming, and plenty of big-name players are being affected with the World Cup less than a week away.

A day after Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba and England captain Rio Ferdinand were hurt, Netherlands winger Arjen Robben limped off the field with a left hamstring injury and Nigeria midfielder John Obi Mikel was ruled out of the tournament in South Africa because of his ailing knee.

[...]

Robben scored two goals before being hurt in the Dutch team's 6-1 win over Hungary in Amsterdam.

[...]

Slovakia defender Martin Skrtel was also hurt Saturday. The Liverpool central defender injured his ankle in the 13th minute of Slovakia's 3-0 win over Costa Rica, but he is expected to travel with the team to South Africa.

[...]

Others being affected by injuries include Mexico forward Guillermo Franco, Italy playmaker Andrea Pirlo, Chile striker Humberto Suazo and United States striker Jozy Altidore. Besides Ballack, Germany has also lost goalkeeper Rene Adler and midfielder Simon Rolfes to injury.

[...]

Brazil, which is favored by many to win its sixth World Cup title, has had two injury scares since arriving in South Africa -- goalkeeper Julio Cesar and left back Michel Bastos. Both trained with team on Saturday.

http://www.wpbf.com/2010-world-cup/23803979/detail.html

I hope everyone is good to go soon. We need stars in order to shine.

When a metropolis becomes a colony (happened on the XIX century) things are bound to get messy. :p

I kid, I love the Terrinha.

Football season doesn't start until September. Now SOCCER, on the other hand, is boring! America!

There is only 1 real football. You know this. Silly import English.

America just created a game with so much commercial breaks it's not funny anymore and named it wrong.... ;)

OT: I feel sympathy for North Korea. If the lose, they'll be executed. If they win, they get too much information of how the real world works and be executed too. Bah.

OT: Robben's injury isn't bad. Probably will take him a week and a half to fully restore. Maybe misses the first match. We have a certain mr. Van der Vaart though, who I think is better then Sneijder, who can replace him.

@Ctrl/ALt/Del - have you had a chance to try out the new world cup 'Jabulani" balls. We had a few added to our collection to use at training - they are really light. Either adidas is following a FIFA directive to make them like that, or theyve simply forgotten to make a properly weighted ball.

I'd take a nike/puma 2010 season ball over them in an instant.

The 'knuckle' kicks are very easy to reproduce - and can cause keepers alot of trouble - which is why keepers like Cassillas, Julio Cesar and Gigi Buffon have complained about it. Field players like Xavi and Pazzini have also complained about judging their flight/wight being difficult.

Apparently, Cesar said it reminded him of those cheap balls you get at the supermarket.

Here is a great example of the trajectory waver you get -

Now everyone can kick like Roberto Carlos!

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

mtfbwya

Archived