Astor

Here are my predictions for Day 1:

South Africa vs Mexico> 2-1

Uruguay vs France> 0-1

S Korea vs Greece> 1-1

Let us know yours!

mtfbwya

hmmm, I'd go for:

South Africa 1 - 2 Mexico (SA are just not good enough from what i've seen whilst those mexicans are pretty handy with the ball when not chomping chillis and hooting around with crazy sombreros on their heads)

Uruguay 0 - 1 France (the jammy froggies will be at their crafty playing-badly-but-nicking-it-with-a-messy-deflected-goal tricks again)

S Korea 1 - 1 Greece (will be a dull, dull game probably :p)

edit: the stereotyping is just me getting into a proper patriotic ingerlund sort of mood. :]

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Portugal v Brazil in group stage is going to be interesting :thmbup1:

J7 will have to fill us in, is their any residual colonial rivalry when these two teams meet? That extra bit of passion can make games spectacular.

Generally the relationship between Brazil and her former colonial master is pretty good in football terms; partly I think as its an area where Brazil are the undisputed kings so there isn't any inferiority complex. They have had some rather fractious meetings in the past, 66' springs to mind when the Portuguese literally kicked Pele out of the tournament in a disgraceful match that went down to infamy (Pele sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury in that match, and afterward he vowed never to play in the World Cup again, fortunately he reigned in on that threat). The most recent meeting between the two was in Brazil, and the Brazilians crushed Portugal 6-2, though I suspect the game in the group phase will be considerably tighter.

I will be supporting Spain in this tournament as they play the best football, although I expect Brazil to win the tournament; though they will be functional rather than great to watch. If your the betting type Argentina would be the best money in terms of there odds and their squad. England will get to the Semi's and be knocked out by Brazil, simply put I think England will only get that far is because the draw is kind for them, I expect France to get knocked out in the first round, and I suspect Italy will get knocked out by the quarters... Germany are greatly hindered by injuries this time round, but it's the Germans so that may well not mean much!

You can see the way I see the tournament going here; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sol/shared/inc/v4/world_cup_2010/wallchart/main.html#p32479bdejgkmopus37429edbjmgkosup934dojugo9u449ou

BBC World Cup - Team Tracker

@Ctrl/ALt/Del - have you had a chance to try out the new world cup 'Jabulani" balls. We had a few added to our collection to use at training - they are really light. Either adidas is following a FIFA directive to make them like that, or theyve simply forgotten to make a properly weighted ball.

I'd take a nike/puma 2010 season ball over them in an instant.

The 'knuckle' kicks are very easy to reproduce - and can cause keepers alot of trouble - which is why keepers like Cassillas, Julio Cesar and Gigi Buffon have complained about it. Field players like Xavi and Pazzini have also complained about judging their flight/wight being difficult.

I haven't tried it but I'm sure it'd be nice to use on friendly match with your buddies - but not suitable for a competition. But, if anything, this should make for a Cup with more scores.

Apparently, Cesar said it reminded him of those cheap balls you get at the supermarket.
Read that and I honestly know what he's talking about. You can't even play if it's windy because the ball can describe violent and sudden 180º trajectories.

although I expect Brazil to win the tournament; though they will be functional rather than great to watch.
My complaints exactly. Dunga as a coach represents the triumph of functional football over art football.

They have had some rather fractious meetings in the past, 66' springs to mind when the Portuguese literally kicked Pele out of the tournament in a disgraceful match that went down to infamy (Pele sustained a cruciate knee ligament injury in that match, and afterward he vowed never to play in the World Cup again, fortunately he reigned in on that threat).

Pele wasn't the only one kicked out. Both teams were bad that day.

Speaking as someone who is neither Portuguese or Brazilian I have no bias, and Portugal were far worse than Brazil that day. The Portugese also started the kicking in that particular match, although my statement about the game was "disgraceful match that went down to infamy" which is a neutral statement rather than picking on a particular side... Nor do I recall any of the Portugese players ending up with injuries putting them out the game for 10 months...

Speaking as someone who is neither Portuguese or Brazilian I have no bias, and Portugal were far worse than Brazil that day. The Portugese also started the kicking in that particular match, although my statement about the game was "disgraceful match that went down to infamy" which is a neutral statement rather than picking on a particular side... Nor do I recall any of the Portugese players ending up with injuries putting them out the game for 10 months...

I'm not saying anything to excuse Portugal. Just saying both teams were bad.

47 minutes to go until the first match.... I really hope South Africa do well!!!!

Always nice to see the 'home country' get far into the tournament :)

Especially in this case...a country that's only 20 years old that had this many internal conflicts.

Too bad Mr. Mandela won't be attending...

Well, its 1-1. First half was kinda dry, but the second was most certainly interesting. Beautiful strike by Tshabalala there. I thought SA would take the match, actually. Too bad for them Marquez equalised for Mexico. Not a bad start to the Cup.

Here are my predictions for Day 1:

South Africa vs Mexico> 2-1 >>Final Score 1-1 (Too bad SA hit the post in 89th minute!)

Uruguay vs France> 0-1 >> Final Score 0-0. Boo! France really need to get their act together. So much talent and they play with the cohesion of a BP Engineering team.

S Korea vs Greece> 1-1 >>Final score 2-0 - well done SK! Greece seriously didn't look like they wanted to be there... :(

Let us know yours!

mtfbwya

Lucky I'm not a betting man :p

Here are my picks for Day 2:

Argentina vs Nigeria >> 1-2 Go Nigeria! Messi or not, Maradona is the worlds worst coach. Time for the world to see it! >>FINAL SCORE: 1-0. Messi played well but just couldn't put it away for some reason

England vs USA >> 2>1. It will bring a tear of joy into my (and any Liverpool fans) eye to our beloved Steven Gerrard as the skipper.

Algeria v Slovenia >> ?? I dont know anything about these teams so will reserve my guessing :)

Let us know yours!

check out

>>>... I don't think anything on the world cup will be as awesome: PHAW!

nb. external embedding disabled, so you need to click linky to watch it at YTube

mtfbwya

Argentina vs Nigeria >> Worst coach or not, I personally would expect to see the Argies prevail, maybe 2-0

England vs USA >> I don't think this will be the walkover expected by some section of the British media, I'll go for 1-1

Algeria v Slovenia >> Algeria, are awful, I would expect them to finish goaless and bottom of the group, how they put Egypt out is a mystery for those with more special powers than me, Slovenia to win 2-0.

Didn’t watch it because too busy watching the Texas Longhorns beat TCU in baseball 14 to 1, even that blowout was more exciting than a 1 to 1 tie.

“Ties are like kissing your sister.”

Still to our members across the pond I say.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
1233270615-haha_simpsons.jpg

Archived