Home

2010 FIFA World Cup

Astor

Is anyone else noticing the inappopriateness of the ball for powered long shots?!!

Seriously, adidas should stop trying to renivent the ball every four years. FIFA should poll the players/leagues which ball they most enjoy using and go with that. Of course - there's probably a multi billion dollar contract between FIFA and adidas that would put a dampener on such a common sense idea :p

Argentina vs Nigeria >> Worst coach or not, I personally would expect to see the Argies prevail, maybe 2-0

England vs USA >> I don't think this will be the walkover expected by some section of the British media, I'll go for 1-1

Great work J7!! You must have one of those Back To The Future Sports Almanacs :D

Here's my predictions for Day3! It would be good to get one right for a change......

DAY 3

SERBIA v GHANA: 1-1

GERMANY v AUSTRALIA: 2-0

NETHERLANDS v DENMARK: 2-0

If any of you folks are on Twitter, there are a few celebs that seem to be keen on the world cup and comment on it - including during the game >

*Simon Pegg

*Bill Bailey

*Russell Brand

*Peter Serafinowicz - who posted 'activate invisiball' when Green fumbled :D

*Wil Wheaton - he managed to incorporate a SW and Pen n Paper RPG reference into his into world cup tweets yesterday :p

You could also just look at what everyone is saying about it via http://twitter.com/#search?q=%23worldcup ... including Darth Vader: Do or do not, there is no tie :D

mtfbwya

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is anyone else noticing the inappopriateness of the ball for powered long shots?!!

Seriously, adidas should stop trying to renivent the ball every four years. FIFA should poll the players/leagues which ball they most enjoy using and go with that. Of course - there's probably a multi billion dollar contract between FIFA and adidas that would put a dampener on such a common sense idea :p

What I don't get is if something ain't broke don't fix it, can you really make a ball more ball like?

Great work J7!! You must have one of those Back To The Future Sports Almanacs :D

Hehe, I was only one goal of on South Korea game, thought they'd win 3-0 - Though I forgot to write that prediction up here. However currently Slovenia and Algeria are derailing my predictions, this game is horrific, at this point I'd be surprised to see a goal, let lone the 2-0 Slovenia win I thought...

SERBIA v GHANA: This is a fascinatingly difficult to call game, in what is a very tight group in that I think any of Serbia, Ghana and Australia could emerge in second place to Germany. I think Ghana may well prevail 2-1 or 3-2. On paper Serbia should have a really good defence, but it doesn't always look good in games, and they did loose 1-0 to New Zealand in the pre tournament friendlies. I think looking on to later games given history though Serbia could pull a surprise against the Germans, in what for them will be a bit of a grudge game.

GERMANY v AUSTRALIA: 2-0 I agree here with Astro, despite their injuries the Germans are the Germans, and in Lahm, I think they have the best fullback in the competition, I think Australia could finish second, but I'm not sure if they have what it takes to score against Germany.

NETHERLANDS v DENMARK: I'll go 3-0, IIRC Holland only conceded 2 goals in qualifying, and also I'm reminded of the Euro's where they stuffed Italy and France, so they should win comfortably.

haha. we would of won. but we played shockingly bad. i mean, robert green equalised it for the USA! what the hell!

Unfortunately while I've seen the goal on ESPN I didn't actually get to see the game, did Team USA at least put up a solid performance? I'd really like to see us at least advance out of group play given the lousy showing USA put up in 2006.

Unfortunately while I've seen the goal on ESPN I didn't actually get to see the game, did Team USA at least put up a solid performance? I'd really like to see us at least advance out of group play given the lousy showing USA put up in 2006.

The U.S played quite well, I actually think a draw was a fair result, England played badly. It was a performance typical of this particular U.S team, hard work and team work, though unspectacular. England will have enough to get out of the group as Slovenia and Algeria won't score against them, who wins the group I think will come down to who scores more goals out of England and the U.S.

In other news Slovenia have managed to score an awful goal due to another goalkeeping howler to win 1-0.

Ghana managed to win with a penalty. I didn't watch the full game though, so I don't really know how well they played, but at the end of the match the Ghana coach seemed pissed, pushing off his aides who tried to congratulate him. What was up with him?

Ghana managed to win with a penalty. I didn't watch the full game though, so I don't really know how well they played, but at the end of the match the Ghana coach seemed pissed, pushing off his aides who tried to congratulate him. What was up with him?

Ghana deserved to win, played the better football. The Ghana coach is also Serbian, so he did his job, but you can somewhat understand him not wanting to celebrate...

The Ghana coach is also Serbian, so he did his job, but you can somewhat understand him not wanting to celebrate...

Oh, thats unfortunate for him. He's kind of in a lose-lose situation.

Anyway the Germans are up 2-0 in just the first half. I think this was by far the most exciting match of those played in this WC'10.

EDIT: Full time: Germany 4-0 Australia. What an absolutely incredible match! Beautiful work on the German's side. Australia weren't bad, but just not good enough to cut it. :D

Dear World Cup people,

Please turn off that incessant buzzing sound that seems to be present at every single game thus far. In the interests of giving equal time to this obscure fringe sport called soccer, I have tuned in to a number of games, only to turn the TV off five minutes into watching because I can't stand the noise produced by what seems to be a giant swarm of very, very angry bees. It is most disconcerting and is curtailing my attempted enjoyment and understanding of this bogus sport in which players can't use their hands, wtf soccer. If no one is able to comply, I will be forced to assume that it is a sport reserved for the deaf and/or apiarists.

Thank you for your attention.

@Niner.. vuvuzelas are a tradition in South African football. Whilst it is indeed annoying, it is quite unlikely FIFA will take a stand on it now. EQ it out in your home theatre amp, or just turn it down ;)

Those of us whom have been following football for a long time will probably find the horns a bit easier to bear that what we used to be subjected to every year during the old Intercontinental cup aka the Toyota Cup. There was a constant siren sound that really was much more annoying than the horns... here's a clip I found on YT to demonstrate. Luckily the modern version of this tourney(World Club Championships) no longer suffers from this ;)

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

As for the matches... Great to see another African victory for Ghana, though not a hugely convincing one...

I'm sure it is clear now why I'm cheering for Spain in this world cup as opposed to Ozstralia. I can't believe how badly they played in defense .... I'm pretty sure me and my (deceased of 8 years) grandma could have put in equivalent performance, weekend at Bernies style :D

Looking forward to DAY 4! Some more tips to not put money on!

JAPAN v CAMEROON: 1-1

ITALY v PARAGUAY: 1-0 >>although I really want Italy to lose because that idiot Marcello Lippi refused to include Antonio Cassano in his squad.

NEW ZEALAND v SLOVAKIA: 0-1.

mtfbwya

As for the matches... Great to see another African victory for Ghana, though not a hugely convincing one...

I thought Ghana played quite well, just seemed to lack composure in front of goal :xp:

I'm sure it is clear now why I'm cheering for Spain in this world cup as opposed to Ozstralia. I can't believe how badly they played in defense .... I'm pretty sure me and my (deceased of 8 years) grandma could have put in equivalent performance, weekend at Bernies style :D

Cahill never should of been sent off though, appalling decision by Dracula!

JAPAN v CAMEROON: I think Cameroon to win myself probably a 2-1; Eto'o possibly making the difference...

ITALY v PARAGUAY: I think this could have a 0-0 written all over it, or maybe Paraguay sneaking a 1-0, the problem for Italy is I'm not quite sure where their goals are going to come from...

NEW ZEALAND v SLOVAKIA: I'll go for a 1-1 here....

the problem for Italy is I'm not quite sure where their goals are going to come from...

Indeed - especially considering Andrea Pirlo is unlikely to start, they're currently devoid of a creative playmaker. I still cant get over Lippi making his selections based on favouritism and grudges. So what if Cassano [allegedly] punched his son in the face :D

mtfbwya

Just watched the Japan vs. Cameroon Game.

I only saw the second half at which the Japanese were up 1-0. Good equal game from what I could tell. Should have ended 2-1 to Japan in my opinion. Sorry Cameroon that shot that hit the wood was a good one but Japan had a shot that the keep was not going to block hit the side bar right before you.

God I can't wait till South Korea take on Argentina. That is going to be a really good game. Maybe Messi will net one instead of missing 6 or 7 shots. :lol:

Just watched the Japan vs. Cameroon Game.

I only saw the second half at which the Japanese were up 1-0. Good equal game from what I could tell. Should have ended 2-1 to Japan in my opinion. Sorry Cameroon that shot that hit the wood was a good one but Japan had a shot that the keep was not going to block hit the side bar right before you.

Cameroon were awful, and whats with playing Eto'o as a right midfielder? Japan deserved the win, but it was a very bad game, I think Cameroon were far too cocky going into it, and took the Japanese far too lightly...

God I can't wait till South Korea take on Argentina. That is going to be a really good game. Maybe Messi will net one instead of missing 6 or 7 shots. :lol:

To be far to the little Argentinian maestro, it wasn't as if he did anything wrong with any of his shots except the 1-on-1 which he should have done better with... All in all Messi put on the best individual display thus far, while the Germans win over Australia is the stand out team performance...

To be far to the little Argentinian maestro, it wasn't as if he did anything wrong with any of his shots except the 1-on-1 which he should have done better with... All in all Messi put on the best individual display thus far, while the Germans win over Australia is the stand out team performance...

I'm not acusing him of doing anything wrong, it was just abnormal for him to have that many shots and not get a goal. I thought Argentina would win about 3-1 and Messi would get two of the goals.

Kudos to Heinze for that beautiful bullet of a header, though.

Archived