Home

2010 FIFA World Cup

Astor

Well, I thoroughly enjoyed the Germans hammering of England... Despite the goal that was over the line, Germany were far superior. What amsues me about the English, is this is Capello's fault, opposed to them accepting that English players are vastly over-rated, and over-hyped. Hopefully now, I will no longer hear the rubbish about Terry, Cole et al being world class...

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at the beginning the Germany, was superior, then England score the two goals (with one refused) and star being superior to the germans, but the second half they were forced to score, so their defense was weaker, and they took the counter attacks, and then all their hopes just leave. But if the goal has been validate, they could have end 2-2 at the 90 min, 1-2 and 2-2 is not the same.

.. Hopefully now, I will no longer hear the rubbish about Terry, Cole et al being world class...

lolz. I don't think anyone outside of England thinks that :)

I do hope FIFA does something about the goal line decisions business. I dont see why they should bother paying for another two goal line refs, just give the 4th official a TV set :D

mtfbwya

I Think englands Main Problems were Attack (Dur) But the way Fabio used the Attack. I would have NOT Even took Heskey on the Plane, and have Not Played Rooney against Germany as he has Looked Rubbish all Competition.

Germany team is one for the Future with Many 20-25 year olds that could be Playing with each other for At Least 8 years.

Whereas England Relise on Lampard (32), Gerrard (30), Terry (29) and Ferdinand (I Know he was Injurded but if he wasnt he would be starting 11 everytime he could) (31) By the Next World Cup, Or Even Euro 2012 they will proberly be Too Old (Except Maybe Terry) to Play at the Top Level. I Suggest they Drop these Players and Attempt to get Younger Players International Experence so they will be Ready for the next World Cup.

Congrats to Argentina on their win. While the first goal was offsides it wouldn't change the outcome of the game had it not been alowed.

Germany vs. Argentina is going to be an excellent match. I'm quite positive at this point the winner of that game will find their way to the finals.

I want to say something about the USA - Ghana game though. Congrats to Ghana on making it through, you were the better team that night. USA have an obvious weakness... They don't start out the way they finish. 3 of their 4 games they let up an early goal. If you do that in the knockout stages of the World Cup your team is going to pay. It's really sad for me because one defensive mistake and a goalie not covering the right area of the goal cost the US a possible win. It could have just as easily been 1-0 and no need for overtime. After watching the replay in slowmo I blame Tim Howard.

Congrats to Argentina on their win. While the first goal was offsides it wouldn't change the outcome of the game had it not been alowed.
I'm not too sure about that. Mexico was the better team before the offside goal. Who knows how long they could've kept dominating the game if the goal had been disallowed. Perhaps the error of Osorio has to been seen in that context as well.

Either way, two blunders by assistent referees in one day: an advocate for using video during the match, if you ask me.

lolz, its only a matter of time now until a ref's blunder will cost someone the game.

Comiserations to Little Pico - who slept through the match and doesn't know the outcome yet :D

Argentina v Germany is going to be EPIC, and as much as I have zero confidence in the Maradona's efficacy as a tactician, the gaps the German defence showed even against wonky old England may be better exploited by the likes of Argentina.

I hope Chile give Brazil a good game tonight. I don't think the Dutch will have too many problems against Slovakia.

In other related news, new Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has already indicated he will be using in form players such as Cassano and Miccoli for Italy's upcoming Euro campaign. Great news IMO.

mtfbwya

I'm not too sure about that. Mexico was the better team before the offside goal. Who knows how long they could've kept dominating the game if the goal had been disallowed. Perhaps the error of Osorio has to been seen in that context as well.

Either way, two blunders by assistent referees in one day: an advocate for using video during the match, if you ask me.

With out luck being totally on their side, Mexico will not beat a team like Argentina.

My worries for Argentina are in the goal keeper... Beating Germany will not be easy.

Argentina v Germany is going to be EPIC, and as much as I have zero confidence in the Maradona's efficacy as a tactician, the gaps the German defence showed even against wonky old England may be better exploited by the likes of Argentina.

Same's true for Argentina, I'd say. Their defense sucks and the emphasis put on the attack does nothing to help that.

In other related news, new Italian coach Cesare Prandelli has already indicated he will be using in form players such as Cassano and Miccoli for Italy's upcoming Euro campaign. Great news IMO.
Dunga was chosen after the 2006 fiasco with a similar promise: renewing the team. Which he delivered; partly - it's still the overrall oldest team on the WC, but the players are different. :p

My worries for Argentina are in the goal keeper... Beating Germany will not be easy.

You saw his rather dubious performance today, didn't you? I agree, he doesn't exactly exhales trust, IMO.

Ive always wondered why Pato was not in the Brazil squad. He wasnt playing too badly for Milan. Was he injured, or did he fall out fo favour?

mtfbwya

Dunga doesnt like stars. Ronaldhino and Ronaldo should have been in the squad as well IMO

Anyways.. My dream is the see Argentina VS Brazil in the final. That would be epic! But Argentina have to beat Germany first, and their defense is unfortunately very weak. Argentina probably have to score five goals to win that game :p ..

With out luck being totally on their side, Mexico will not beat a team like Argentina.

Well without the luck as you say, at the end of the game it would be 1-1, since the first goal wasn't valid, and the second one is most a biiiiiig mistake from the mexican, so there is only the Tevez goal that was truly goal obtained by Argentina by their quality game, also they were after the second goal (we can also think that knowing the first goal wasn't valid, the mexicans were angry, and loose their concentration), almost all in defense, so to score a goal for the mexicans was really harder, since Argentina just have to make counter attacks, and score again, so for only a technical point of view, Mexico *could* win, in what you say you're only thinking about the fact that Argentina has most prestige, but well Messi is the best player in the word for example, but in the match he haven't done a lot, so I truly wonder what would happen without the invalid first goal.

That's the same as England, the two last german goals were counter attacks, they have their defense forming a bunker, they weren't forced to score more, so it become harder to score to the englands, but 2-2 they would be forced to look for the goals, and the englands wouln't have need so much to attack with all their players, so maybe the winners wouldn't have change, but maybe they would, or maybe it would finish england 2 germany 3, or something like this and not, 1-4, so whatever happens, the first goal, or the goal leading to a tie, are very very important goals, in a match.

WALP. This got so many more replies than my thread in the Swamp...

MikeTron! Thats why I came over and let the swampies know about us football passionate continentals here at AHTO :thmbup1:

Everyone I support is basically finished. Go Japan!

They did well to get that far :) I think they are the only team that has mastered the Jabulani!

Good to see that FIFA are starting to own up to the travesty that has been Jabulani! Too late for this tourney though.

GO HOLLAND! Now the group fase is over, it's time to start playing the way we should!

If all goes according to plan, it will be great to see them match up against Brazil

mtfbwya

Y'know, I'm never entirely sure about ball controversies. End of the day, it's a ball... There's always someone who complains every world cup about the ball...

To be honest I would hope FIFA would pay more attention to video replay controversies. Seems like everyone in Group C got ****'d by refs.

Well, for the moments the hude ref mistakes we have are:

-Brazil goal using two time the arms.

-Kaka got a red card, because an other player bump in him, and made as if kaka has hitted him.

-A Chilean player got a second yellow card, so a re"d card, because a spanish player jump into the ground and blames him. (almost the ame thing as kaka, unless that this time it was in the game's action)

-England got a good goal refused.

-Argentina got a goal validated, when it wasn't valid.

Have I forgotten anything? :D

So the video replays should for sure be allowed, how can it be allowed such big mistakes in a world cup, when we have all the means to fix it?

Well, so it was a reasonable game against Chile today, despite the score. Robinho didn't play very well and beside the goal he scored, he wouldn't do anything beside bad passes. Nilmar didn't play well either. If both of them were in the field at the same time and playing well, plus Kaká and Luís Fabiano having the ball right were he likes it, it'd be a massacre.

Also, congrats to Holland - and especially to Sneijder and Robben. Here's hoping for a good game against them on friday.

Ive always wondered why Pato was not in the Brazil squad. He wasnt playing too badly for Milan. Was he injured, or did he fall out fo favour?

The last option. Dunga supposedly tried several team formations and selections and apparently he didn't fit in.

Also, did anyone...?

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

lolz... use a tissue Mr Low!

Congrats to Brazil....I'm really looking forward to Brazil v Netherlands :)

Y'know, I'm never entirely sure about ball controversies. End of the day, it's a ball... There's always someone who complains every world cup about the ball...

Usually it's just the odd grumpy goalie that is whining. Apart from the chaps that were paid to endorse it in the official ads(Ballack, Lampard etc), I cant find anyone that is saying anything positive about the ole Jabulani. When Spain/Barca's Xavi says the ball doesnt allow him to play the way he usually plays, then its two thumbs down. Being an owner of a Jabulani replica, I can tell you theyre the weirdest thing Ive ever kicked. I used to think the Adidas Europass balls were weird. These things are monstrously light, and gain height on a bounce - like a volleyball!

Tonight, I really hope Spain can pull together against Portugal. I think Paraguay should be able to manage Japan :)

So the video replays should for sure be allowed, how can it be allowed such big mistakes in a world cup, when we have all the means to fix it?

Blame that crusty old fart Sepp Blatter, who thinks making accurate decisions using technology will ruin the "innocence" of the game.

mtfbwya

Well without the luck as you say, at the end of the game it would be 1-1, since the first goal wasn't valid, and the second one is most a biiiiiig mistake from the mexican, so there is only the Tevez goal that was truly goal obtained by Argentina by their quality game, also they were after the second goal (we can also think that knowing the first goal wasn't valid, the mexicans were angry, and loose their concentration), almost all in defense, so to score a goal for the mexicans was really harder, since Argentina just have to make counter attacks, and score again, so for only a technical point of view, Mexico *could* win, in what you say you're only thinking about the fact that Argentina has most prestige, but well Messi is the best player in the word for example, but in the match he haven't done a lot, so I truly wonder what would happen without the invalid first goal.

Much as I feel sorry for Mexico, I don't think we can say the score would of been 1-1, when it became 3-0, the Argentinians took their foot of the gas, had the first goal been disallowed, we could still of seen Argentina win 3-1, even without the first two goals... We'll never know.

That's the same as England, the two last german goals were counter attacks, they have their defense forming a bunker, they weren't forced to score more, so it become harder to score to the englands, but 2-2 they would be forced to look for the goals, and the englands wouln't have need so much to attack with all their players, so maybe the winners wouldn't have change, but maybe they would, or maybe it would finish england 2 germany 3, or something like this and not, 1-4, so whatever happens, the first goal, or the goal leading to a tie, are very very important goals, in a match.

England would of lost anyway, their arrogance (both the team, media and fans) was what caused the defeat in the Germany game. The goal should of stood, but England were shambolic and deserved to loose, and I think the Germans would of just done something similar in the second half, England couldn't defend at all....

I'm hoping Spain hammer Portugal tonight... Have a sneaking suspicion the Japanese may pull off a surprise...

Presently half time of Spain v Portugal. Man, both these matches today were fraggin boring! Hopefully the Spanish/Portugese will pull something out of their arse and get some goals underway in the 2nd half.

And is it just me, or does the vuvuzela-buzz sound a bit like the airspeeder/V-Wing engine noise from Rogue Squadron? :D

Spain's through. I was rooting for Portugal, but it was always going to be hard to defeat Spain, and Spain definitely was the better team. I don't think Paraguay has a lot of chance against them, based on their performance in the WC so far.

Glad Brazil went through, but a little sad for Chile. Loved their game, even if (or perhaps because) it was a little naive. Didn't see the match, but nice goals. Luis Fabiano reminds me of Ronaldo somehow. Would've been great to see them play together, still don't understand why the guy's not here. Anyway, Brazil, please oh please defeat Holland.

Archived