Home

Force Unleashed Un-canon?

I would generally say no...LucasArts conceived the story and published it as part of Star Wars lore. The only non-canon portion of the story would be the alternative storyline elements that were released as downloadable content for the game and the alternate ending to the game itself.

yer id probly also say that it isnt non-canon, most of the events that happen can be incorperated into the actuall story. It all kinda fits togethor :D

The timeline of the game also probly is another factor into the game being canon.

It was set like right in between the sequals and prequals.Perfect timing if you ask me.

:D and the downloadable content ....meh it could be canon IF the sith had one but oviously no because they didnt.

I dunno..I kinda like the idea of Vader trying to overthrow the Emperor...but not sure I like the idea of Vader and the Emperor being the source for the Rebellion. I always saw Bail Organa and Mon Mothma as the founders of the Rebel Alliance.

On the contrary, I found the idea of emperor´s and Vader plot to backfire very appealing. It makes them not to appear all knowing master of puppets. Also the idea of it being non-canon... I think it fits perfectly into the storyline, it explains some things, and also tells about the jedi hunting campaign that Vader followed at the rise of the empire.

George Lucas was involved with making the story of TFU, so basically I would think it would be canon based on that fact alone, especially since it is rare for Lucas to be involved with a video game story.

George Lucas was involved with making the story of TFU, so basically I would think it would be canon based on that fact alone, especially since it is rare for Lucas to be involved with a video game story.

That qualifies it as G-canon right?

But consider this: It's called the Force Unleashed because it's over the top. A GoW version of Jedi Academy.

I wish it was considered un-canon....

Yeah, I agree with you there.

One-of the few things-that bothers me about the storyline, is the rebel alliance is born just prior to the events of Episode 4 and I just don't buy that. I would say the rebel started maybe a few years after Episode 3.

Well...I don't have the time to follow up on all the sources but the Wookieepedia article on the Rebel Alliance puts it's earliest roots at the end of the Clone Wars with Bail Organa and Mon Mothma and other senators that opposed Palpatine's consolidation of power and tried to get him to stop. After the events of Episode III those that opposed the Empire essentially went into hiding or were killed/captured, and the events of TFU are the catalyst for open rebellion.

So I would say that you probably are right in a way.

I frankly couldn't care less about "Star Wars canon" these days... it seems more a marketing gimmick to appease certain fans (who care about such things) than anything. Originally it was supposed to keep Expanded Universe writers on track with keeping their stories straight with each other. That was before the Prequels, which basically ignored most of what came before.

These days pretty much "everything" is canon at some level.

So video game storylines routinely are made to be "C-canon." Obviously the player choices in-game don't count, only the overall story and characters (and if multiple endings, they pick one).

Frankly, I don't feel like TFU gels very well with the movies, but I really don't care. If the game is well put together and fun, I don't care if it has Luke Skywalker as a bad guy or Yoda as a wookiee. A solid (in-game) storyline is nice, and being true to the "spirit" of the movies is a selling point, but I am not really interested one way or the other if it goes along with previously established continuity.

That said, if they're going to make a sequel, I do expect it to follow the previous game (there's that "in-universe continuity" thing), unless it's an alternate storyline (sort of like what the DLC was for the first game).

Still, I know "canon" matters to a lot of Star Wars fans. My advice is don't take it too seriously. There are all sorts of problems across the Star Wars franchise, and George Lucas, seems least of all concerned about making sure the story flows together and the characters are consistent. If he makes that live action TV series, I predict it will just get worse.

For me, I realize the whole thing is fictional entertainment created for profit. So I can suspend disbelief and enjoy whatever is in front of me for what it is. Ultimately for me "Star Wars" is about the movies, and the first three were the best. If something sucks, I shrug and ignore it. It's not worth my time anymore to try to rationalize all the inconsistencies. Games are a different matter... to me the gameplay matters far more than the story (or the graphics). Star Wars is just a hook. Sure, if you're going to make it Star Wars, a little consistency is nice, but not the end-all, be-all.

Anyway, that's another rant for another day... ;)

So yeah, TFU and TFU2 are just as "canon" as any other Star Wars video game. Pretty much everything licensed is "canon" these days at some level (don't know where "Darth Tater" and the Star Wars transformers or the super deformed series for babies fit though, but I'm sure somebody is hard at work on it, lol).

PS: Wookieepedia isn't canon. But you knew that already. ;)

^ ^ ^

Arrgghh !! to much to comprehened lol !!

Although i will say with regards to you Kurgan.

I think to be able to enjoy a game, you need to have all three elements of what you mentioned in moderation. Gamepley is a big factor , graphics not so much but you still want some level of quality.

And personally i think having a Great storyline rather then a good/ok storyline can be the difference between a really GREAT enjoyable game and mediocre / meh game that you could have gone with out.

I wish it was considered un-canon....
AMEN.

Why do the HATERS hang around here? If you don't like the game, why don't you leave and NEVER come back?

Especially Zwier Zak. You've made your feelings known for well over a year, yet you continue to hang around here and continue to take shots at the game and still pout about not having a new Jedi Knight game. Personally I believe you to be a troll and should be dealt with accordingly. Luckily for your sake other moderators around here haven't felt this way yet. :rolleyes:

Gee wiz, since when does wishing to consider a game "uncanon" make one a "HATER"?

There's a lot of stuff in Star Wars I don't consider "canon." Does that make me a "HATER"? I don't think so. And still, even if I DID "hate" something in Star Wars, is that a reason to get mad at ME? These forums are open to everyone, not just people who have nothing but love for this stuff. Surely your love for a game isn't diminished just because some other people don't agree.

I know one of the reasons a lot of people come here is to find out (from everyday folks, rather than just professional critics) if a game is worth their time and money. How are they going to get any information if the only folks who are around are fans (or worse, only fanboy/girls)? If somebody wants to complain that this isn't a "one opinion" forum, for a year, I suppose that's within their rights.

And last I checked, there are a bunch of forums here integrated together. Some of us are regulars on one or more, but we stop in to visit other forums out of curiosity or for variety. If one of you were to come over to the Jedi Academy forums and say you really didn't like JA and wished it wasn't "canon" would you appreciate somebody "yelling" at you and wishing you'd leave and never come back?

Incidentally a "troll" doesn't hang around for an entire year talking about the same subject, do they?

The bureaucrats over at Skywalker Ranch and Lucasfilm have pretty much made "what is canon" into a science. It is considered part of the "official canon" like much of the other licensed work done in the Expanded Universe :indif:. TFU is even more so since Lucas himself gave it the personal nod of approval and worked on the story with the crew at Lucasarts. However to many of us, the films themselves and the info within are all the "canon" they need. :thmbup1:

As for my two cents on the whole thing . . . I like the story behind The Force Unleashed and do not see any significant plot holes with the rest of the saga. By the way the story is set at least two years before "A New Hope" (I think maybe even three years). So the Rebel Alliance would be active for some time before the battle at Yavin IV. Not to mention that small rebel groups where forming all over the galaxy at that point, all the Alliance did was uniting most of them under a single banner and cause, creating an organized army that could oppose the Empire on an almost equal footing.

Archived