Home

SWTOR timeline - KOTOR

DAWUSS

All right, I'm already seeing problems.

1) So Revan wasn't this military genius who had fought and almost crippled the Republic so that it could grow and prosper against the Sith Empire, but really a pawn of the Sith Emperor? Yeah. Sure, completely believable.

2) Bastila? A Jedi Master. bah.

And this update all but confirms mullet-Revan is the canon Revan. Not a problem for me, as it was my favorite vanilla Revan head.

Oh yea I forgot, check the Dev Tracker, they messed up on the age of the Star Forge/Rakatan Race, Bastila as a Master etc, but will rectify or something...

I was like Star Forge 2,500 yrs old? you mean 25,000 Biotchs

My Revan's a black dude with short hair. Totally bad-ass and not like this ****. Nah, who cares, there are other things that are more troublesome. Not that we didn't already know Revan was a pawn of the Emperor, but having it spelled out here isn't nice. I guess the dimension of Revan who may not have fallen at all can be scrapped. A shame, I really liked that idea.

Hey,

He calls Bastila a Master since that's what she was when she died or left the order. It is like saying King Greg hunted and killed his first deer with his father. This does not mean that Greg was king when this happen since he could not have it his father(king ) is alive... but that his father was King and the person is stating a past event using the the last present title.

Ex. It would sound weird if you say Bastila when she was a padawan did this or that...

As for Revan.....

I do wish they would have left his skin tone and few other hints like hair as unknown. Just so players who use another head could feel a little more connected. But this does hint that Revan in TOR will be shown in a visual since they could have down it to not show any hints of his features other then he is male. I'm not saying in the flesh but in some way/holocron image,..etc

I believe that the timeline does leave some areas vague which is good. I did she Bioware did leave room to show that Revan took the Star Forge and used it for his own purpose....

I'm assuming that Revan for one reason or not was planning to use the star forge for himself and conquer the Republic ..leaving key points so he could then build it up and attack the Sith.....the reason why is up to debate since it could be that he wanted to have total power, or that he saw what the Sith have done with their own people and decided to not allow it...this to happen to the Republic.... is all debatable but the Timeline does leave that room open for interpretation.

Logan

1) So Revan wasn't this military genius who had fought and almost crippled the Republic so that it could grow and prosper against the Sith Empire, but really a pawn of the Sith Emperor? Yeah. Sure, completely believable.

2) Bastila? A Jedi Master. bah.

And this update all but confirms mullet-Revan is the canon Revan. Not a problem for me, as it was my favorite vanilla Revan head.

1) I think they really gave an "up yours" to Obsidian in that respect, as I think they were the ones who really ran with the "military genius" role for Revan.

2) Some discrepancies between Bioware and Bioware. In KOTOR during the ambush of Revan, Bastila only has a singl-bladed lightsaber, and in the timeline, she's depicted with a double-bladed saber. Also, in the timeline she's depicted in participating in the duel on the Star Forge, when instead she was on another floor, either meditating or making a run for the Ebon Hawk.

Bah, what am I kidding, KOTOR II essentially breaks canon no matter which way you choose to play that game, thanks to the KOTOR Campaign Guide...

1) I think they really gave an "up yours" to Obsidian in that respect, as I think they were the ones who really ran with the "military genius" role for Revan.

They never said Revan wasn't a military genius, but that he started out working for the Sith. It was said that he and Malak decided to betray the Sith while they were piecing together the maps to the Star Forge, so maybe when they started the invasion Revan left the Republic intact so he could fight the Sith when they realised he backstabbed them.

2) Some discrepancies between Bioware and Bioware. In KOTOR during the ambush of Revan, Bastila only has a singl-bladed lightsaber, and in the timeline, she's depicted with a double-bladed saber. Also, in the timeline she's depicted in participating in the duel on the Star Forge, when instead she was on another floor, either meditating or making a run for the Ebon Hawk.

I think that they have details wrong on purpose because this is an in-universe take on what happened, and the fact is Gnost-Dural (sp?) was not there to watch what happened.

These timelines really do bother me, especially Revan is in fact a Sith pawn. Also it seems to suggest Revan fell when he met the Emperor, and not when he step foot on Malachor V which was so strong in the Dark Side, Revan was forced to submit to it, or else be destroyed by it. Bioware have really messed up on the back-story here, and it seems all the ideas that were brought up in Kotor and TSL are being ignored.

Bioware. You fail here.

You see Revan is pimped up to what the fanboys want?

a) We get wide-prequel Era robes for Revan and Malak. They wore light armors! They are re-designed for the SWTOR era robes apparently.

b) The Starkiller grip. Why? WHY? The reason Revan made such an impression on me was because of the way he flourished his lightsaber when Bastilla and 5 other Jedi came for him.

c) Like others pointed out, his military prowess is reduced by...99%. They could have done this FAR better. The reason Malak betrayed Revan, for example, could be explained by Revan doing his own thing and becoming a threat for the Emperor he once swore loyalty too. No canon is broken, Revan is still awesome, the link between Revan, Malak and the Emperor is intact.

In retrospect, seeing this, the way Obisidian handled Kotor 2 was far better. They left the mystery intact and dropped hints about the Ancient Sith. A link between Revan and the unknown regions was hinted and the Exile going after him proved something was going on there.

It seems to me that some folks are nitpicking at bit...but perhaps those that want to find things wrong will. That is simply my opinion of course.

I don't have any huge problem with the video. It essentially told the story of KOTOR as we already knew it. Revan's reputation as a military genius was a product of the Mandalorian War really so I'm not sure I see how that is reduced in any capacity. What Bioware has done is set the Sith emperor as the motivation for Revan and Malak's fall and their return to dismantle the Republic. Again..not really a huge problem for me, but perhaps I'm a bit more open minded than some. In the end if they want to change story elements they're going to change them and there is little anyone can do about it.

Only issues I'm seeing here is people nitpicking details, misunderstanding that this is an in-universe take on things, and that Kreia was a well known liar, manipulator, and exaggerator. And no, this does not ruin his military powess. It just kicks Revan fanboys down to a reasonable level, and does good on disregarding the mary sue that TSL created.

My only problem is that it disregards my own personal canon, but other than that this history less is fine.

• 3 weeks later...
My Revan's a black dude with short hair. Totally bad-ass and not like this ****.

Did he look like Jules Winnfield? :xp:

Nah, who cares, there are other things that are more troublesome. Not that we didn't already know Revan was a pawn of the Emperor, but having it spelled out here isn't nice. I guess the dimension of Revan who may not have fallen at all can be scrapped. A shame, I really liked that idea.

How do you mean? I would think his deciding to take the star forge for himself would indicate he knew what he himself was doing the whole time. That his will was stealthily his own.

Hi, my name is Drew Karpyshyn, and I like to conveniently ignore accepted canon. :)

:rofl: Yeah, really.

Agreed.

2) Some discrepancies between Bioware and Bioware.Obsidian.
Fixed.:thmbup1:

In KOTOR during the ambush of Revan, Bastila only has a singl-bladed lightsaber, and in the timeline, she's depicted with a double-bladed saber.
So? By the time she was met in K1, she had a double bladed lightsaber. It's possible she changed lightsabers by then. And you can give her a different one in the game? *shrugs*

Also, in the timeline she's depicted in participating in the duel on the Star Forge, when instead she was on another floor, either meditating or making a run for the Ebon Hawk.

Historical references aren't always quite accurate. Basically only the facts that Revan defeated Malak on the star Forge and the Bastila was also on the star forge at the same time really stand...

Ehh, maybe they had a historical reenactment--like the history channel? :D

Bah, what am I kidding, KOTOR II essentially breaks canon no matter which way you choose to play that game, thanks to the KOTOR Campaign Guide...
Yeah, I agree that blows.

They never said Revan wasn't a military genius, but that he started out working for the Sith. It was said that he and Malak decided to betray the Sith while they were piecing together the maps to the Star Forge, so maybe when they started the invasion Revan left the Republic intact so he could fight the Sith when they realised he backstabbed them.

I think that they have details wrong on purpose because this is an in-universe take on what happened, and the fact is Gnost-Dural (sp?) was not there to watch what happened.

True, but people are going to take even the small details for gospel because they're just like that.

Isn't most of the reasons KotOR2 is being "ignored" is simply because in-universe, no one outside of the Jedi Exile's party knew about the events of the game?

True.

Bioware. You fail here.

You see Revan is pimped up to what the fanboys want?

a) We get wide-prequel Era robes for Revan and Malak. They wore light armors! They are re-designed for the SWTOR era robes apparently.

Should I yell HAAAAAAAAX at BioWare? lol

b) The Starkiller grip. Why? WHY?
Assisting LA in sellin' TFU2? lol

The reason Revan made such an impression on me was because of the way he flourished his lightsaber when Bastilla and 5 other Jedi came for him.

Which arguably is similar to Mace Windu on the ROTS game's vs mode.

c) Like others pointed out, his military prowess is reduced by...99%. They could have done this FAR better. The reason Malak betrayed Revan, for example, could be explained by Revan doing his own thing and becoming a threat for the Emperor he once swore loyalty too. <snip>
Err, no. Malak had his own ambitions. Nothing in game to indicate that either. Try something else. ;)

In retrospect, seeing this, the way Obisidian handled Kotor 2 was far better. They left the mystery intact and dropped hints about the Ancient Sith. A link between Revan and the unknown regions was hinted and the Exile going after him proved something was going on there.

I agree with this as I don't really see how K2 marginalizes Revan except that he went off to the outer regions which TOR agrees with anyways; you can't continue to be the Galaxy's *direct* hero anymore if you're not there to save it yourself.

How do you mean? I would think his deciding to take the star forge for himself would indicate he knew what he himself was doing the whole time. That his will was stealthily his own.

I agree that Revan basically backstabbing the Sith Emperor by finding what he wanted and then taking and using for himself was a gutsy move. Revan wither he fell or not to the Dark side...Revan was always a strategist and looking for opportunity.

Basically the Emperor goes to Revan ..hey i lost a sports car...I want you to go find it....Revan is like sure.......a few months later the Emperor sees Revan drive by in the sports car which he asked Revan to find,... (Empreror..stomps his feet..can't find good help these days..everyone thinks they are a boss...)

^^^Something recently (within the past 2 days) occurred to me...OK, basically:

Take your analogy and replace sports car with cantankerous machine with pretty cover... He might have known all about it this whole time and that it (the star forge) ultimately is more of a dteriment than useful. Maybe he didn't want it at all? I'm not sure I can go with the idea, personally. However I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt because it's interesting.

Ultimately a tool for which to 'deceive' the republic. However this implies a lot and opens up a can of worms. How the emperor could have known that is something of debate I think.

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=201822&page=2

Generally, where would that info have come from without prior possession? Not even getting into the problems THAT brings up--well not right here unless someone wants to.

Another possibility along these lines I thought of in passing today was the emperor morphing into a Rakatan and infiltrating in that way. If the emperor has as much ability as jedi, if not even more, to control others' minds, there is a whole explosion of possibilities.

I'm interested where it is going from here. However...I cannot help but feel it's cheapening too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived