Home

World Cup 2010

Mike Windu

Why hasn't there been a thread about this yet? :D

Who ya cheerin on? Who's gonna make it to the finals?

I'm rooting for USA and France, where I am currently residing until the end of July. After both of those teams lose, I guess we'll see where I bandwagon ;)

And now is when everyone gets a good laugh at LeXX, as her teams goalkeep handed the US the game-tying goal.

I learned about this thanks to a twitter from Craig Ferguson making fun of him, immediately followed by this from leXX...

Seriously Green' date=' WHAT THE ****?!!![/quote']

I lol'd hard.

IMO (srsly):

Seriously, what is it with football? I swear, that USA v England match would have made for a good 20 second long high-light reel, and that's it. The idea around the world cup is pretty intriguing, but the game itself is just so slow and boring. Watching these games just makes me realize how much better other pro sports are, especially hockey.

Though, I gotta admit it was fun yelling at the TV with my bro and dad watching, going "Oh, it went out of bounds? Whoopie!" and "Oh, another foul? Hold on then!" and "Jesus, they just passed the ball like 8 times in a row and covered no ground, how enthralling!"

But really, dad comes back after 30 minutes later and asks what happens, "NOTHING, NOTHING ****ING HAPPENED."

IMO (srsly):

Seriously, what is it with football? I swear, that USA v England match would have made for a good 20 second long high-light reel, and that's it. The idea around the world cup is pretty intriguing, but the game itself is just so slow and boring. Watching these games just makes me realize how much better other pro sports are, especially hockey.

Though, I gotta admit it was fun yelling at the TV with my bro and dad watching, going "Oh, it went out of bounds? Whoopie!" and "Oh, another foul? Hold on then!" and "Jesus, they just passed the ball like 8 times in a row and covered no ground, how enthralling!"

But really, dad comes back after 30 minutes later and asks what happens, "NOTHING, NOTHING ****ING HAPPENED."

I think it helps if you're really drunk and you have rivals nearby that you really hate. I think that combination makes it more fun.

I played a lot of soccer/football growing up but I'm not really into watching it. I admit I'm fascinated by football hooliganism but not really the actual games. Except for Mexico, soccer/football isn't a big deal in North America but I do have a mild interest in world tournaments.

Why hasn't there been a thread about this yet? :D

This is the swamp.... the ball would get stuck in the mud :thmbup1:

There are alot more of us continental types at AHTO, so if you really want to talk football, you'll probably get more at its corresponding thread.

VIVA LA ESPANA!

mtfbwya

but the game itself is just so slow and boring.

It is far less boring than a couple American sports I can name.

Baseball (goes on forever)

American Football (They stop every ten seconds and as far as I can see they just play scissors, paper, stone with their tactics each time they stop)

But yes, Football is still boring.

I'd say that baseball falls under the "boring" category as well. NFL can be quite exciting at times for me, even though I don't know all the rules. :p

I agree with you on how hockey is much better, that's what i like about it, how fast-paced and exciting it is

Nearly all sports are boring as hell to watch. I only ever watch football during the world cup, and then it's only the England matches. The only sport I enjoy watching on a regular basis is Tennis.

Oh and the person who thought it would be a good idea to have the sound of thousands of plastic horns continually assaulting you ear drums needs to ****ing die, with fire.

Oh and the person who thought it would be a good idea to have the sound of thousands of plastic horns continually assaulting you ear drums needs to ****ing die, with fire.

Can't we think of something slower and more painful than fire. Perhaps being staked out over an anthill?

Horns are present at most matches in leagues around the world, but the tradition of blowing them continuously is particular to South Africa.

Players and commentators have called for FIFA to do something, but at this stage theyve done nothing. I think they are weary of stepping on some toes from a cultural perspective, despite the very real fact that it is detrimental to players and spectators alike.

If youre watching it at home and run your TV through an amp, you can really reduce it with some fiddling on your Equaliser settings ;) Either that or just turn it down :D

mtfbwya

vuvuzelaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. It's bloody annoying, but at the same time I don't have to deal with it so I actually find it rather humorous.

As far as soccer/futbol goes, it's the idea that you can score at any given moment that makes it exciting, not the constant scoring. I used to hate watching futbol, but if you find a good team to root for and a couple pals to kick some brews back with (and a bar full of the opposition), the culture'll soon ingrain itself into you. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Been pulling for Germany ever since I saw their opening match against Australia. The team, while young, looks really tight. I'm glad they made quarters, but it's going to be tough for them against Argentina. Luckily, I'll get that game and fireworks in the same weekend.

Also, I own a vuvuzela. =D She's yellow.

Archived