Home

Kinect for Xbox 360 (formerly known as Project Natal)

Lynk Former

Microsoft has recently taken the silk sheets off of their new motion based device formerly known as Project Natal... meet Kinect for Xbox 360.

2myc75v.jpg

The Natal event that was scheduled was for media only however there is a lot of news and info being released about it.

There are a few games being released, all of which seem to be closely related to what the eyetoy can achieve and also another Wii Sports clone... however there is also a lightsaber game that I'm sure a lot of you will be interested in.

Here are some details about those games

• Kinectimals lets you train and play with 20 different virtual cats, including a lion, cheetah and tiger.
  • Joyride, a racing game, lets players use their hands to hold an imaginary steering wheel — pull your hands toward you and push back out for an acceleration boost — and their bodies to execute jumps and tricks.
  • Kinect Sports has six activities including boxing, bowling, beach volleyball, track and field, soccer and table tennis. To serve a volleyball, you mimic the real motion; in soccer, you can kick the ball or do a header.
  • Kinect Adventures includes a river-raft time trial and obstacle course, playable by up to four players. On the raft, playing as a duo, you and a partner must lean one way or another to steer. Jumping helps the raft reach special areas for extra points.
  • Dance Central, in development by MTV Games, brings a So You Think You Can Dance experience home.
  • Star Wars characters and iconic Disney favorites will be featured in separate new games being developed at Microsoft in conjunction with LucasArts and Disney.

It's also been revealed that Kinect will replace the current camera available for the 360 as it can achieve the same results. Also, a chat program has also been revealed which also used motion gestures to work the menus.

The price of Kinect hasn't been revealed as yet but here's a few handy links to some more bits of info as well as an interview regarding Kinect...

If you find any more Kinect related news, pictures, etc, please post them in this thread.

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

Yay, we're ripping off Nintendo because we want to make money!

Seriously, Sony at the last E3 had the best demo ever. I want motion control to shoot arrows and guns and punch people in the face, not dance and jump.

Except for in Bollywood games.

Here's Destructoids take on the Kinect event that occured not long ago: http://www.destructoid.com/e310-our-kinect-reactions-the-video-176297.phtml (vid contains bad language for all you sensitive types)

Apparently the way to describe the event is "WHAT THE **** WAS THAT ****?!"

Seriously, Sony at the last E3 had the best demo ever. I want motion control to shoot arrows and guns and punch people in the face, not dance and jump.

You mean what Wii can do as well?

176291-cirque.jpg

So far it is turning out to be too much like eyetoy, not enough like its own thing. However, to the average casual consumer, this doesn't matter. If Microsoft is able to market it effectively enough and also allow Kinect to enhance other types of games with, for example, the head-tracking features I've been going on and on about... then it could become something pretty awesome.

Microsoft held a big reveal for Kinect earlier... here's a bit by bit of it from Joystiq

Kinect debut event recap (featuring Cirque du Soleil and LED ponchos)

Also, Destructoid has some video of the Star Wars game in question... looks like it was just put on as a concept, no sign of the game working in real life: http://video.destructoid.com/#164359

I'll try to find a better source when I can.

Actually from what I witness in their conference, Microsoft is onto something... think about it. All you need is Kinect and no matter what kind of game you play you don't have to buy a tonne of different accessories to play like you end up doing with Wii.

The fitness games--no board needed, no controllers needed, no arm or legbands needed--very nice.

Kinectimals--my daughter will absolutely love it.

The dance game--I'm going to have a blast with it, and it'll be a nice way to get some exercise in without thinking about it. It's Dance Dance Revolution without the floor pad, which will be great, considering my puppy chewed through the cord of my first DDR pad. >.<

Am I going to get this? Definitely.

I'm not impressed at all. All they showed off was Wii crap with beefed up graphics.

As for controlling the xbox without a controller, it looks interesting. I don't like how they have you hover over an item you want to select and wait for the circle to fill up. If it was like Minority Report, I'd be excited for it.

And that Natal Star Wars on rails game looks like it could be fun. Hopefully what they showed off was just a really rough demo, and not what the final game will look like. Still won't be enough to get me to buy a Natal though.

Yanoo, when the little girl did a kinect ddemo, playing with the tiger called "Skittles"..i felt embarrased FOR her..i mean oh my god...like near the end when it licked the screen she was like "stop that tickles"..i cant even imagine a 3 year old doing that. it's a blooddy screen.

Yanoo, when the little girl did a kinect ddemo, playing with the tiger called "Skittles"..i felt embarrased FOR her..i mean oh my god...like near the end when it licked the screen she was like "stop that tickles"..i cant even imagine a 3 year old doing that. it's a blooddy screen.

Anyone who plays that game will start to hallucinate tigers in their backyard, that game scares me :eek:

Cracked.com put out an article titled The Day the Gaming Industry Died: Impressions from E3 2010 which focused primarily on Kinect. Thought I'd share.

25130.gif?v=1

Well that's a change... usually it's Nintendo who are the ones killing the video game industry...

I don't get all these doom and gloom people. Every single time anyone announces anything new, some guy says "oh no! that's going to plunge the industry into its doooooom!!" and then life goes on, great games are released and lots of people are having fun.

"The audience at the conference reacted in exactly the same way you react when you notice the homeless guy next to you on the subway is masturbating."

Classic :lol:

Hey, that guy probably got paid a lot of money to go out there and make a complete ass of himself. Of course, if I got paid an MS salary, I just might go out there on stage myself. :lol:

Well that's a change... usually it's Nintendo who are the ones killing the video game industry...

I don't get all these doom and gloom people. Every single time anyone announces anything new, some guy says "oh no! that's going to plunge the industry into its doooooom!!" and then life goes on, great games are released and lots of people are having fun.

I think you're just paying too much attention to me lol

Archived