Home

Microsoft Conference

Lynk Former

10:00 AM - Microsoft Press Conference [world times] [watch conference]

Okay here are the highlights...

- Xbox 360 redesign with built in WiFi and 250GB HDD will cost $299, the same as the current 360 and is available THIS week in the US

- Showed off CoD Black ops, Gears of War 3, Halo Reach, Fable III, etc... standard 360 games that a lot of people want.

- Also showed off Metal Gear Rising... and watermelon cutting.

- Kinect, formerly known as Natal shown off. Many games were shown off and it looks as if it's going to be an excellent edition to a family setting. 15 games will be released with Kinect on NOVEMBER 4 this year. Fpr more details about Kinect, see the Kinect thread in this forum...

- Star Wars Clone Wars game shown off. Uses Kinect, is on-rails, uses hand gestures to control lightsaber and force powers, looks to be early in development.

- ESPN now free for all gold members of Xbox Live.

- Xbox dashboard being upgraded to include gesture controls using Kinect as well as voice control. Tell the Xbox to do something by saying "XBOX" and then a command. Works pretty well...

- Xbox dashboard looking more and more like the Wii channels menu...

- Some of the Kinect games that were shown off were very familiar since they seem to be direct competition for games already available on Wii. Some of the games shown off look to be superior to their Wii counterparts.

- More emphasis put on watching movies, chatting with friends, listening to music, using Zune and Windows Phone 7 with your 360.

I'm lazy so if you want to see pics of the conference you can see them here: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/14/microsoft-e3-keynote/

It is 5:20am as i type up this edit and I still have to stay awake for the EA and Ubisoft shows... I won't be making threads for those but I may post up new threads/posts regarding specific games they'll be showing... particularly about Dead Space :D :D :D

I'll have the commentary Lynk and I did while the MS briefing was live up shortly. Our skype call dropped right in the middle of it, so when you hear the beeps, that's where the feed got cut--at about the 30 minute mark or so. Listen a bit after the beep so you know what we're talking about, pause it, and when the briefing catches up to where we're talking, just turn the mp3 back on. :)

What's annoying is that I will probably pick this up real soon because I'm tired of having a jet engine in the room... I wish there was more information about the new XBox 360 Slightly-Smaller-and-Quieter. I haven't seen any specs posted yet. Can't wait for the decibel comparisons between the new and the old 360s.

I'm definitely not looking forward to transferring my content though. They better have thought of a simple solution for that.

Lynk and I did a 'chat simulcast' during the Microsoft presentation.

It's completely uncut. Our skype call dropped at about minute 30, so we lost part of the commentary there. We also restarted real quick about hour 1:45 or so in order to make sure the skypecallrecorder program didn't cut off anything. I added a couple beeps into the podcast where you can stop everything, listen forward to our mp3 a bit, find out what we're talking about, and then pause it. Once the conference catches up to us, restart our mp3 again.

Here's what you have to do. Pull up a stream of the Microsoft conference from one of these sites (I'll post Microsoft's when they actually get theirs up).

http://e3.gamespot.com/press-conference/microsoft-e3/?tag=live%3Bpress-conf-list%3Bmicrosoft%3Btitle

Then, pull up our 'simulcast':

http://xfer.lfnetwork.com/lucascast.com/lucascast_episode-microsoft-briefing.mp3

We started speaking a couple of minutes before MS's program started, so if the stream of the conference starts in the middle of the CoD Black Ops, you may have to pause the MS conference until our mp3 catches up. I tried to mention the developers as they appeared on stage so that you can figure out where we're at and sync up accordingly.

Enjoy!

I didn't get to watch it since I was at work, though I did try to keep up with the headlines. From what I've read about while trying to catch up I didn't really see anything new or "megaton". I don't have a 360 though, so I may be biased. Natal errr Kinect so far has not shown me anything that cannot be emulated with the Wii or the PS Move aside from maybe the menu navigation, and that disappoints me. I was fully expecting a Gears 3 or Halo Reach demo with Kinect providing simulated 3D on a 2D screen via head-tracking. Granted Kinect is young, but it's 15 launch titles just look like Wii Shovelware ported, which the same can be said for the PS Move's offerings that I've seen so far. I think the best news coming out of MS today was the new model of 360 with the built in WiFi and redesign, built in WiFi should have come with the original 360.

I was fully expecting a Gears 3 or Halo Reach demo with Kinect providing simulated 3D on a 2D screen via head-tracking.

Let me be the first to say...THANK GOD there wasn't. They better not ruin a couple of my favorite franchises because of a new peripheral

Great idea on the chatcast Jae/Lynk. Will definitely check that out. I didn't watch the actual conference... the world cup was on at the same time.

Whilst I don't see a huge amount of slim in the new 360, inbuilt wifi and HDMI, and the glossy black finish means that I will definitely be picking it when we get it here in Oz next month. (IMHO) It looks better than the black elite and will fit the aesthetics of my study better. I'll be laying it on its side though :p Finally I'll be able to play Alan Wake, Horsey Game(aka RDR) and FF XIII ;) \o/

For those that like to see such things, here's an unboxing video of the new 360.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/xbox-360-250gb-first-unboxing/

I never realised the 360 had such a huge power brick.......phaw! Also, it looks like HDMI cable not included.... I like how they integrated the HDD though.

mtfbwya

Let me be the first to say...THANK GOD there wasn't. They better not ruin a couple of my favorite franchises because of a new peripheral
1. How could you possibly know that head-tracking would ruin your experience and not enhance it? Have you ever played a game that utilized player head-tracking? Do you even know what head-tracking is?

2. Yes, I also can understand how something that would be a completely optional... modification (so to speak) of a game can ruin it completely. [/sarcasm] This is exactly like those people bitching about 3D gaming when they have the choice of whether or not to even partake in it.

1. How could you possibly know that head-tracking would ruin your experience and not enhance it? Have you ever played a game that utilized player head-tracking? Do you even know what head-tracking is?

2. Yes, I also can understand how something that would be a completely optional... modification (so to speak) of a game can ruin it completely. [/sarcasm] This is exactly like those people bitching about 3D gaming when they have the choice of whether or not to even partake in it.

This early in the development of games for the new hardware...things are very rough and turn out more gimmicky than intuitive. Look at that Star Wars game they previewed...looked like it was one of the clumsiest uses of the technology seen thus far. While I understand it takes the right developer to use it right, it took a year or so for the Wii's controls to catch on past the gimmick factor...

That's all.

Archived