Home

New Star Wars Title for Xbox 360 Kinnect

JediAthos

As previewed at E3 LucasArts will release a new SW title exclusively on Xbox 360 for use with the new Kinnect motion system. (formerly known as Project Natal). There was no title for the game given and unfortunately I can't find a video of just that preview, but the showed a Jedi battling stormtroopers with a lightsaber and Force powers in what looked like Theed and at the end of the preview the Jedi crosses blades with Darth Vader.

*edit* found the video:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

I watched the entire Microsoft press conference and some of the stuff they demo'd looked pretty damn cool such as the Forza Racing title, and even the dancing title from Harmonix looked nifty and I'm so not a dance game guy. The difference between this and the Wii is it's all done sans controller and other features operate on voice commands as well.

Wish that video showed what exactly the dude in front of Kinect was doing to control the character. This is exactly what concerns me about Kinect though, sure you get motion controls sans accessories, but as a result you don't have direct control over your character (this is an on-rails game).

From that demo, all it looks like is one of those Time Crisis (or whatever they are, havent seen one in a while) arcade games where you occasionally have to actually do stuff, but it ends up being mostly done by pre-scripted actions. For example:

1: Pretend to swing your arms around like your holding a lightsaber to block imaginary lasers

2: After [insert amount here] lasers blocked, throw tank onto people. You actually have no part in pretending, you just watch it

3: Repeat, except this time by pretending to be realllly fast.

4: Shoot your lightsaber offscreen to reload

5: Slap Star Wars on the title, and include Darth Vader.

6: $$$

For more E3 news, check out the LFN E3 2010 forum!

From watching vids of the conference it seems obvious that Kinect has its uses, but for the games shown it seemed obvious that while the control input is great, it does have its limitations already mentioned. The Star Wars game is on-rails and the Forza game didn't allow you to control your acceleration and breaking...

I think what people see from this video is pretty much what was already stated in this thread. It does seem to be a pretty shallow experience. I doubt anyone will really give the game that much thought when it comes to its release and reviewers blast it for various reasons.

Of course, the people who have the spirit of the Star Wars kid within them won't care either way and will love the game.

• 1 year later...

Casts lesser thread necromancy.

These new trailers are kind of hilarious:

[youtube=hd]Yh7XaFLAyPU

[youtube=hd]m0YiuwE7Ymc

Although the fact that they don't show any game footage pretty much tells you all you need to know (not that there was ever much doubt it was going to be crap). Still, gotta love Clint Howard.

Still, gotta love Clint Howard.

lol yeah it was so random that he was even there XD

Now if the actual game lets you go through the Star Wars movies and just screw around with the characters like that and make your own Star Wars spoof then even I'd be interested in it.

But it won't so whatever...

Wow... that is advertising?

Clint Howard is great - I love Tranya just like the next guy. That was a lil funny.... but still, who are these two spots targeting?

Definitely not me....

Haha, love the Trek reference. :D

Archived