Home

Revan and Malak revealed

Ghost

It could be also that they are trying to pitch their game to a larger audience, which a good number have likely not played TSL. Like just general WOW/MMO fans or gamers... it could possibly confuse outsiders, the more in depth story. Or perhaps I'm naive. :p

It could be also that they are trying to pitch their game to a larger audience, which a good number have likely not played TSL. Like just general WOW/MMO fans or gamers... it could possibly confuse outsiders, the more in depth story. Or perhaps I'm naive. :p

This has been my concern since day one, yea the graphics are 1999, the sabers are fat and everyone looks like a Cro-Magnon, but I can live with that for the sake of Cheapskate and fouryearold's PC setup. However, I really didn't want this dumbed down and sand-boxed just to draw the MMO posse... But, at the end of the day they talk a good fight and we'll have to wait and see, because to be honest 90% of what we have been told or seen is sub-contracted Digital animation and comics. Proofs in the Pudding.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Remember one thing, anthing you hear is from some Jedi Historian. So the truth on how Revan is thinking at the time remains not totally known. My guess is that he is using the Sith Emperor from day one, to build his own vision of a Republic (which is basically Revan's Empire).

And note that the timeline kinda totally ignores the Exile? Maybe everyone thinks that the canon of of having that stupid Mical poodoo on the Ebon Hawk is a bad idea, Briana ftw. (Yes, I don't mind Exile being female, but Mical I CANNOT stand)

So the truth on how Revan is thinking at the time remains not totally known. My guess is that he is using the Sith Emperor from day one, to build his own vision of a Republic (which is basically Revan's Empire).

Uh-huh. So Revan, some Jedi Knight who literally stumbles across the Sith Empire, is the one who is using them to further his own goals when they're the ones who turned him into a Sith and sent him back to kill the Republic. Yeah, I don't frigging think so.

I totally agree, for myself those pictures are 'wrong ones' that the in-universe master Dural found. :) It's not like I 'hate' the game now, I just feel they shouldn't have touched it.

Because, now that they canonised unknown stuff, it's here to stay. And that's...uncool. .

This line of thinking is something I've seen a lot of in this fanbase, and I can't for the life of me make sense of it. Why does a group that doesn't care about what's in the canon of even the two games (let alone the rest of the EU) care what "changes" are being made in newer stories?

Uh-huh. So Revan, some Jedi Knight who literally stumbles across the Sith Empire, is the one who is using them to further his own goals when they're the ones who turned him into a Sith and sent him back to kill the Republic. Yeah, I don't frigging think so.

This line of thinking is something I've seen a lot of in this fanbase, and I can't for the life of me make sense of it. Why does a group that doesn't care about what's in the canon of even the two games (let alone the rest of the EU) care what "changes" are being made in newer stories?

Because I do care. It's not like I'm angry about or will throw myself of a bridge....but the way they portray Revan...it's not the way most people played him, with the armor and back-hand grip. I used to be a huge Kotor fan and the game was all about 'being Revan.' By 'canonising' many stuff about Revan, the magic of the character (which is the player him/herself) is somewhat lost.

For example, everyone who played a short-haired of female Revan is already 'out of the loop' now. the character that appeared in the video's is not 'their' Revan.

I can see why it appears strange. It's a completely fictional character. But it's a fictional character that was shaped by every individual player. Unlike Gordon Freeman or The Duke, the character of Revan get's 'closer' to you, which is one of the plusses of most RPG's.

But anyway, I look forward to SWTOR. The fact that Bioware tries to 'end' Revans story in a nice way is commendable :)

Why is everyone complaining about the story when in fact it's that absolutely retarded "edgy" lightsaber grip that ruins everything? Starkiller has a quirky style of fighting, okay. OH BUT ITS SO COOL THAT EVERY COOL CHARACTER SHOULD DO IT.

I think they should remake the movie saga with every Jedi/Sith holding their lightsaber like that.

the way they portray Revan...it's not the way most people played him, with the armor and back-hand grip. I used to be a huge Kotor fan and the game was all about 'being Revan.' By 'canonising' many stuff about Revan, the magic of the character (which is the player him/herself) is somewhat lost.

For example, everyone who played a short-haired of female Revan is already 'out of the loop' now. the character that appeared in the video's is not 'their' Revan.

That's what I don't get. Why does the canon rendering of the character shaft the experience of an individual player any more than another individual's does? They fall into the same category as far as the individual is concerned: Another "version".

Why is everyone complaining about the story when in fact it's that absolutely retarded "edgy" lightsaber grip that ruins everything?

Are you ****ting me?

That's what I don't get. Why does the canon rendering of the character shaft the experience of an individual player any more than another individual's does? They fall into the same category as far as the individual is concerned: Another "version".

Are you ****ting me?

Let's agree to disagree. It's useless for us both to continue :)

I dunno. We now know he was a gaurdian before the mem wipe. But I do like Kreai's version better. Falling to save the republic (or trying to).

But, to me at least, I'd be more then willing to admit that he had every intention of saving the republic.....at first. Then he because consumed by wanting to control his own empire that he kept those shipyards and star bases alive for his own use. Of course, malak was an idiot and just destroyed everything.

I suppose its just open to interpretation.

Well, something is the way Mala did the War, an other thing is how Revan did it.

Revan wasn't triying to crash the republic and it's army, but to take control over it, he would probably have strike Coruscant, and forced the republic to capitulate, keeping a part of it's soldiers, their military resources etc...

Unlike Malak who destroyed entire planets for his pleasure.

And also when it's say that he wanted to preserve the republic I think it's more the planets, on it, and not the political system.

But we should also think that he does fall to the dark side, not because he couldn't resist, but to conquer the republic and prepare it against the true siths. Like Kreia told the exile "maybe he became the dark lord to prevent a greater evil". It don't means he wasn't evil, it means the true Siths were worse, and that he might defeat them taking control over the republic. and then the Repubic would be better than it would be after being conquerer by the true siths.

Unlike Malak who destroyed entire planets for his pleasure.

Malak is known to have ordered exactly two planets destroyed during his time as a Sith. The first was to test the loyalty of an experienced and high-ranking leader of the Sith Navy, and the second was to prevent the escape of an individual who was the only advantage which the Republic had over the Sith. Revan's plans to convert followers and destroy his enemies killed no smaller amount of people (would anyone like a serving of Malachor V?).

• 1 month later...

I watched that last night-as well as the other videos in the timeline.

To be honest, I'm rather outraged by the writers/creators. The MMO is a nice addition to Star Wars, but its a rip off of KotOR! Especially when their calling it "The Old Republic" knocking off the "Knights"! -they should have gotten a different name.

What frustrates me the most-along with many others-is TSL brought up many unanswered questions and we were all assuming their'd be a 3rd game to explain it all, as well as help tie everything in.(Not to mention how many fans were looking forward to pop in a Kotor game for their new XBox 360/PS3!

Instead we get an MMO only playable on PC. Not only that, they've basically pushed KotOR aside to make a new story. And its insulting that they attempted to tie it with the KotOR games.

I always considered Revan to be a special Jedi, who did fall to the dark side, but was then returned to the light and became the ultimate hero for the republic. This MMO is screwing up that Hero concept!

I just wished they'd given us a 3rd game and then decided to make this MMO. It would have causes less conflict between fans as it is now.

But when you step back, you realize its not so shocking, it is Star Wars and Lucas and his team have been screwing up the original concept since the prequels. No offense to anyone who may disagree with me.

I will always love the KotOR games, the original story concept and the characters. Anything this MMO says about them, I'm pushing it out of my mind as I do with many other Star Wars-related content/projects.

Archived